Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 02:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There you go! Why are we limiting our kids education? None of these skills takes years to learn, only weeks.
It seemed that girls usually had the better cursive writing skills, in grade school anyway. We took pride in our handwriting skills. There were even competitions for the best handwriting and somehow the same girls always won the prize. I just think that there is something very classy and elegant about cursive and actually penning a letter. Who would want a love letter that is typed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 02:46 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Following on the above:
Old land records are often written in cursive, and I'm talking 1980s not 1880s. Census documents are in cursive.

As late as 1990 our Town Treasurer still submitted her reports in cursive.

I had students who could not sign their name in cursive on AP and SAT tests, a somewhat hard requirement.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:47 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It seemed that girls usually had the better cursive writing skills, in grade school anyway. We took pride in our handwriting skills. There were even competitions for the best handwriting and somehow the same girls always won the prize. I just think that there is something very classy and elegant about cursive and actually penning a letter. Who would want a love letter that is typed?
Girls generally have better fine motor skills than boys at a younger age.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
I believe that it certainly should.

The Great Handwriting Debate
There has been a great deal of discussion around the topic of teaching cursive handwriting in the 21st century. Research on the debate is riddled with reasons both for and against including handwriting in the curriculum. Often, it is a discussion that is not necessarily being debated by those that need to make the decisions — the educators. I am a member of an educational organization titled South Hills Area School District Administrators (SHASDA), and our last meeting’s topic was, “The Great Handwriting Debate.” This article is our combined efforts to attempt to answer the question, “Should we continue to teach cursive handwriting?”
The Great Handwriting Debate | The Huffington Post

A big YES!!! Penmanship is a stepping stone to and fundamental of intelligence.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:56 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
And on top of all that... I learned to play the cello in school too. Music and art are other things that should always be included in school curriculums, IMO. We don't place enough importance on these things and I think it has greatly contributed to the dumbing down process. I don't know that kids can even spell anymore due to the ubiquitous texting.
HA! I played clarinet. I was never any good, but I definitely agree with the importance of music and art in school!

Old 12-16-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddeningRadio View Post
I wish they would, but in reality it's right on par with "quill handling". Other than signing your name and a select few other occasions, no one writes anymore as a matter of necessity.
Maybe now, but my first "real" job I ever had, I hand-wrote my cover letter in cursive (no pc's readily available back in the late 80's - most people used a typewriter). When I was interviewed, my interviewer said "you have the most beautiful cursive writing. I was impressed with it". I got the job - it was at a bank, where documentation was a large part of the job. Thanks, Mom!

Old 12-16-2016, 04:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
This thread reminds me a bit of my own experience in learning cursive. I was a pretty sharp little one, and the Christmas vacation that I was six the weather was wretched out for two weeks. In an effort to keep from killing us, my mum began having "school" at the kitchen table. She taught me complete cursive during that school break and I became proficient and even really good at it real quick.

I went back to school so damn proud of my new skills. Imagine my mother's disgust when my teacher disciplined me for writing an assignment in cursive and sent my mother home a note letting her know that cursive was part of the fourth grade curriculum and that I needed to cease using it until then. I was greatly discouraged and my mother was furious.

I went on to master calligraphy, and have since been asked to address envelopes for more than one wedding. Skrew you, Mrs. White.

Nothing like a teacher squelching a child's ability to learn more than is asked of him or her. Terrible. On the other hand, your mother sounded great!

My parents are both gone, but I've kept some things of theirs, such as recipes and letters. Can you imagine not being able to read something like that? And as others have pointed out, it's so much more personal to get a nice, hand written note from someone, rather than an email or letter that's been typed.

I don't get their thinking in doing away with this.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Nothing like a teacher squelching a child's ability to learn more than is asked of him or her. Terrible. On the other hand, your mother sounded great!

My parents are both gone, but I've kept some things of theirs, such as recipes and letters. Can you imagine not being able to read something like that? And as others have pointed out, it's so much more personal to get a nice, hand written note from someone, rather than an email or letter that's been typed.

My mom grew up on Hawaii in the 40's with somewhat illiterate parents. I think that rankled her quite a bit. She was embarrassed of their limited English skills. She was maniacal about language and penmanship with us kids and used our rule-breaking as an excuse to create crazy punishments, like copying massive numbers of chapters of the Bible onto paper at the table during time-outs. I ended up hating the Bible, but damn did I get enough practice to have awesome penmanship.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:28 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Both my mom and dad had very nice handwritings and I love having cards and notes as well as some of their personal papers that were hand written by either of them. A person's handwriting is such a personal and unique thing, which makes these things such sentimental and cherished mementos.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
My mom grew up on Hawaii in the 40's with somewhat illiterate parents. I think that rankled her quite a bit. She was embarrassed of their limited English skills. She was maniacal about language and penmanship with us kids and used our rule-breaking as an excuse to create crazy punishments, like copying massive numbers of chapters of the Bible onto paper at the table during time-outs. I ended up hating the Bible, but damn did I get enough practice to have awesome penmanship.
LOL! That was a pretty smart punishment when you think about it.

It's a great tribute to a parent when you recall punishments and can laugh about them. You honor her with your memories.

Quote:
Both my mom and dad had very nice handwritings and I love having cards and notes as well as some of their personal papers that were hand written by either of them. A person's handwriting is such a personal and unique thing, which makes these things such sentimental and cherished mementos.
Sometimes, the things our loved ones held in their own hands with their handwriting on it, are the most treasured of keepsakes. And you're right, handwriting is unique and personal. I can tell my mothers handwriting even when I'm too far to read what it says. Perfect Palmer method penmanship.

I feel sorry for the generation that has such items and can't even read what the words say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies