Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
And what keeps Compton alive, Crips?

Uploaded year 2014. Compton is still a rough town with these Crip bangers brandishing guns, flashing money, and displaying some of the crack cocaine they're selling. (Not meth--though for all I know the Crips of Compton are selling meth too).

A good video for the Democrat and Republican locked away in their kind and gentle neighborhood who has it "twisted" about "drug dealers" (as opposed to drug addicts whom they think are the violent ones, robbing, and murdering people) and the liberal, progressive, anti-Christian City of Compton, California. Just karma if you (plural) move you, your wife, and kids into their hood.

Content Warning (for video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=325PJrTv7Es
Acacia BloCC Compton Crips

You see no such apocalyptic nightmare in the big cities of Europe like Amsterdam. However, Black-American Democrats with their LA Crip companions have spread the Crips and Bloods into the Neatherlands among the local blacks there.

I understand joining the Crips and Gangster Disciples in the United States. Nothing more All American than that. Competitive and capitalistic. I thought of joining the Gangster Disciples when I was in my 30's for chance at upward mobility in depressing black section of a Midwestern city. I get it. And I was offered to join them in my 20's when I was fresh out the Marine Corps.

I'm glad I did not join them in my 30's though as my values have shifted back towards Christ and Mother Christianity. I'm more Russian in my heart than I am godless, Satanic American. I'm more Godly African in my heart too. Not that I am not a sinner. Mea Culpa. But I'd rather kill the strong than prey on the weak.

Some of those Crips in the video are in wheelchair, or missing a leg, or show the marking of multiple separate shootings they have been struck by.
I actually go to Compton, and can tell you that there are a lot of factories and distribution centers there today, especially thanks to it's proximity to Long Beach; so don't sell me this urban war zone myth when I actually go there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 09:10 PM

241 posts, read 221,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
. So, one would be hard pressed to find some small town in the United States that looks like the early 20th century or even late 19th century as some of you imagine it. They do exist in the USA, few and far between today, but they are mostly down South and so far as I know limited to ethnic Black-Americans. During my time in the Marines I drove through one such town in rural Virginia and literally I thought I was driving through the 19th century when Abraham Lincoln was still alive. The town was made up mostly of little black children and elderly blacks. Most working age blacks seemed to have left the town for the cities for work.
I guess you want to make this an issue of race. We were all referencing lifetsyle and you started urban living, gang propaganda. What statistical data do you have proving that the majority of poor small towns and declining rural areas are majority African American other than your own warped view of societal demographics? What actual information do you have backing such a sweeping racial statement? None.

In contrast to your lies and the myth, the majority of those living in poverty in both urban and rural areas are not minorities. Though Black and Hispanics are disproportionately living in poverty 48% of those living in poverty in America are white (O'Hare 1996). In 2009, 72.9 percent of those living in poverty in rural areas in the United States were white (RSS Task Force 2009/Census Bureau Report). In the North Central region, the rural poor are even more likely to be white, comprising in 1993 more than 90 percent of those in rural poverty, with African Americans comprising 3.7 percent and Native Americans 2.9 percent. Those numbers flipped in the South region.

Have you not been to rural West Virginia? Kentucky? Middle Missouri? Northern Alabama? Have you been to Appalachia? These places are overwhelmingly white and overwhelmingly poor. The rural lower class has been disregarded and shunted off for as long as the United States has existed. But the separation has grown considerably in recent years. The elite economy is more concentrated than ever in a few handfuls of winner-take-all cities. the per capita income of Washington, D.C., in 1980 was 29 percent above the average rural Americans as a whole; in 2013, that figure was 68 percent. In the Bay Area, per capita income jumped from 50 percent to 88 percent above the rural average over that period; in New York, from 80 percent to 172 percent. As these gaps have grown, the highly educated have become far more likely than those lower down the ladder to move in search of better-paying jobs.

The clustering is intensifying within regions, too. Since 1980, the share of white upper-income households living in census tracts that are majority upper-income, rather than scattered throughout more mixed-income neighborhoods, has doubled. The upper echelon has increasingly sought comfort in prosperous insularity, withdrawing its abundant social capital from communities that relied on that capital’s overflow, and consolidating it in oversaturated urban enclaves.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's the problem in this thread, your town is "small" to someone from, say, Philadelphia but large to someone who lives in a town of 2000, which is big to someone in a town of 500.

Plus, many posters are using close in suburbs as towns. Many have never seen a true small town and think one with a quarter million people is unimaginably tiny.

In defense of gladhands who started this, he lives in Pittsburgh which is somewhat surrounded by dying towns which never recovered from the exodus of industry 35 years ago.
My city has about 60,000 people and a sister city butted up against us with 20,000. But every city and town around us, in a 75 mile radius, is tiny. I'm talking 500 or less people per town and only three or four with 5,000 or so. Only a couple towns are run down, the rest are clean, nice, quiet towns.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've seen Roger&Me, funny thing is is those on the right should support what Roger Smith did moving production to Mexico, saving on labor costs and increasing share price; I mean, that's the capitalism that right wingers love so much.

So which is it?
Key word: { should } What, so you could check their virtue? LOL!
Everything the alt-right was accused of, the ctrl-left is all for and all about. This post above, is the perfect case file.
The alt-right has been lied to and lied about way too long, to have the limp wristed snowflakes thinking for them much longer.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:15 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You live in Pittsburgh/Shadyside for Christ's sake, neither of which have been known as job creating powerhouses until fairly recently. Most of those are in health care or education.

Towns reinvent themselves all the time. The town I grew up in West Virginia has become a "art and tourism" destination.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
I've seen Roger&Me, funny thing is is those on the right should support what Roger Smith did moving production to Mexico, saving on labor costs and increasing share price; I mean, that's the capitalism that right wingers love so much.

So which is it?
If you take a Michael Moore documentary seriously, well...

Old 12-22-2016, 08:28 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Towns reinvent themselves all the time. The town I grew up in West Virginia has become a "art and tourism" destination.
How long did it take to accomplish that and how much revenue is it bringing to the residents, not business owners or commercial landlords, but residents? Have property taxes gone up to pay for the governmental costs of doing the necessary things for that destination?

Don't think I'm being snarky, I have a hidden agenda for asking.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:29 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You know all of these sad, economically depressed, former mill/mining towns? There's no reason for them to exist. Once upon a time, Americans moved for economic opportunity. They didn't demand that jobs come to them. If the only reason your town existed or group was the presence of some factory or mine, then in the absence of said factory or mine, your town has no reason to exist. We have let people who feel that they are entitled to an unsustainable, small-town lifestyle dictate the political and economic fate of our nation. They'd rather gamble on someone who promises to reopen the factories then re-train or go to the major population centers where the work is.
Sad but true.

If those economically depressed areas will get fiber optic internet, they may see some small revival in those who work remotely. But the distance to airports will limit this, as many who work remotely need to fly to the home office on a regular basis.

But otherwise, they will only be able to attract those on disability or retirement and those providing services to such folks.

It used to be that folks followed the jobs. No jobs in the south? They headed north. No jobs in the dustbowl? They headed west.

Now they sit in their double-wides and ***** about Obama.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Small town America, is what feeds limp wristed snowflakes, that concentrate in areas of the USA.

A country boy will survive. The city boy/trans/it would be extinct, without the country boy to feed him and defend him.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:34 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
I actually go to Compton, and can tell you that there are a lot of factories and distribution centers there today, especially thanks to it's proximity to Long Beach; so don't sell me this urban war zone myth when I actually go there
Are you going to live there when you move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies