Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:36 PM

29,608 posts, read 16,590,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAkia View Post
No, not true. Tulsi's attracting people precisely because she's the 'leading voice in Congress calling for an end America's interventionist wars of regime change that have cost our nation trillions of dollars and thousands of lives.' sorry i don't know how to link here https://www.votetulsi.com/node/25114

This past Democratic primary, it came to light that Clinton had voted for the Iraq war, had orchestrated the downfall of Libya's Gaddafi, and was poised to escalate the regime-change war in Syria by implementing a no-fly zone. Tulsi famously resigned from the DNC to support Bernie Sanders because of his anti-interventionist war stance, and was his surrogate for months speaking about the issue. She nominated Bernie on this movement of love - not interventionist war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8KpA-vP_qM

Neither Bernie nor Tulsi are pacifists; they say that there is a time and place for military action when protecting from and defeating our real enemies. But they are both against our country's penchant for interventionist wars of regime-change.
Arguing that you want a dictator to quit because of economic sanctions rather than a war is still regime change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 10:45 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,600,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
Well then you'd have to know that I'm in an interracial marriage, and know that merely "experiencing" racism does not qualify it to be a national issue. Yes, I have experienced racism, plenty of times. Anti-white racism happens regularly these days. That's one of our newer "privileges".

There will ALWAYS be racism. George Wallace, Oprah Winfrey, David Duke, Will Smith, there are racists everywhere. But up until the last 8 years it was no longer a major issue in this country.

....but Obama thought it should make a comeback I guess, and here we are.
Will Smith? Oprah? When did I they become racists?

Old 12-26-2016, 10:57 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,600,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
except, these are 2 different(but sometimes interconnected) issues

One is race and its role in society, the other is police brutality/Overreach.

You want Democrats to speak equally to all groups, I get that, but speaking to one group shouldnt be seen as hostel to the others(and that seems to be what you are conveying)hence people thinking " Black lives matter" means "(Only)Black Lives Matter"

But those same people understanding that "Blue Lives Matter" doesnt mean "(Only) Blue Lives Matter"
The obstensible message of Black Lives Matter is a good one, but the organizers (or lack thereof) and their tactics have completely ruined the message. BLM needs to be destroyed so something new and better can rise from the ashes. A re-branding will be necessary if you ever want to achieve those goals.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for being the rare poster who stayed on topic.

Yes, I think Cuomo is a possibility.

Brown seems quite far over on the liberal side, although I don't know a lot about him. Certainly from a key state.
Who is going to run will be a mystery until about December of next year

That is about the timeline of us finding out Hillary and Martin O'Malley were putting together teams. But that doesnt mean anything. Bernie Sanders only had 4 Staffers when he announced and admitted there was no real planning.

There is probably a list of 40+ Democrats that people think could run. The one I find most interesting is Jason Kander. I really wish he had won that senate seat. Seems like a lot of people on the left really like him and he is now getting national buzz.

I see him more than likely running for governor in 4 years than President.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The obstensible message of Black Lives Matter is a good one, but the organizers (or lack thereof) and their tactics have completely ruined the message. BLM needs to be destroyed so something new and better can rise from the ashes. A re-branding will be necessary if you ever want to achieve those goals.
I actually agree. At this point, BLM is tainted. It was meant to be a movement with no central leadership, true grassroots, but that has meant that anyone can co-opt the message and name.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:45 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,640,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There is probably a list of 40+ Democrats that people think could run. The one I find most interesting is Jason Kander. I really wish he had won that senate seat. Seems like a lot of people on the left really like him and he is now getting national buzz.

I see him more than likely running for governor in 4 years than President.
I like Kander a lot, and he intrigues me more all the time. Georgetown Law School grad, former Army intelligence officer, an extremely intelligent man and very independent thinker; married to a highly successful enterpreneur who he met at Georgetown, a Russian woman who was born in the Soviet Union and whose parents fled when The Wall fell... he's one of the last-born Millennials, right on the boundary of Gen X (2 months later, and he'd be the first X-er to be seriously discussed in a discussion about future Presidential prospects)... Everything about this guy strongly suggests to me that he's one of the relatively few people who understand where the Democratic Party needs to go next, and is just waiting there for it to catch up to him.

Trouble is, he's not a realistic candidate for the 2020 Presidential race. Had he won the Senate seat this year, then maybe he'd be at the outside edge of the credible 2020 candidates, but as it is, he will not have the experience to make a case for himself. However, being that he's only 36, he has plenty of time to build a track record and stake out a legitimate claim as one of the Democratic Party's "Next Generation."

And on somewhat of a tangent, I believe that on a broader scale, Kander represents the direction the Democratic Party has got to go next if they want to have any realistic shot at ma8intaining their credibility and viability. He's from the true heartland of America, the southern Midwest, and consistently promotes the traditional values and priorities of the demographic that Trump swooped in and snatched from the talons of the Democratic Party this year. This is a man who understands on a molecular level how conservative personal and economic values can (and should) integrate with liberal social values. This is a guy who has the right idea, and who seems to clearly see both where the country is going and where the electorate needs to feels that is it is going, and who instinctively knows how to weave those disparate elements into a common narrative that resonates with the American electorate.

This guy has a future, and if the Democratic Party wants to have one as well, then they need to align themselves with people like this right now, so that they're all comfortable with one another 2, 4, and 6 years down the road.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:58 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,335,828 times
Corey booker , a mayor of newark who supported jeremiah wright? Keith ellison another black racist ? How about kanye? Screw white and middle america, the democrats don't need them, look how well democrats are doing now after Obama!

The democrats now have the fewest number of state legislatures in their entire history! Republicans will enter the White House with both legislative branches in their control and their pick of a Supreme Court justice and they now have the most state-elected lawmakers in office in 100 years!

Old 12-27-2016, 02:48 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,640,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
What karma? lol.... You realize conservatives are snickering at this thread, right?

This is like me buying a lottery ticket and going shopping for a Bugatti all in the same day. There's a point where optimistic crosses into delusional.
If the day ever comes that any of us give a rat's hind end what makes conservatives laugh and what does not, I promise to send you an e-mail. Until then, I think you can safely assume that no intelligent person gives a damn what Trumplings think about anything, because anyone stupid enough to consider that monstrosity suitable for the Presidency doesn't have anything worth listening to - except to the extent that it helps us strategize for the next election.

That said, I wonder if you realize how much we're all laughing at your side, and with much better reason. Y'all seem to live in this bubble, telling yourselves, "I love Trump, and everyone I know loves Trump, and and he won, so he must be the greatest and most popular president EVAH because I love him so much, and why doesn't everyone else see that????" What you don't seem to recognize is that most of the people in America did NOT want him to be President, and still do not want that - he is going into office as perhaps the most unpopular incoming President ever, and y'all people keep screeching "Landslide!!! Blowout!!! Destroyed the Democratic Party!!!" at the tops of your lungs, and you just can't comprehend how completely detached and disconnected you are from the rest of the country.

Most people in America hate Trump, and y'all need to wake up from your wet dream and accept that just about anyone who didn't vote for him genuinely and completely loathes him. What y'all need to grasp is that the majority of people in American do not trust him, do not like him, do not respect him and do NOT want him to be their President, and those people are going to wait for him to screw it up so they can be on him like a pack of rabid dogs on a 3-legged cat. You and your 12 friends do not mean squat - most of the country hates him, and has a pretty low opinion of the people who voted him into office, so when it all goes Trump-like (as anyone with a brain can see that it inevitably must), y'all are gonna find yourselves back on that island where you belong in about 3 seconds' time.

So. Enjoy your 2 or 3 months. I promise yo, we will enjoy the hell of what comes after that.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 12-27-2016 at 02:57 AM..

Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 AM

638 posts, read 311,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
If the day ever comes that any of us give a rat's hind end what makes conservatives laugh and what does not, I promise to send you an e-mail. Until then, I think you can safely assume that no intelligent person gives a damn what Trumplings think about anything, because anyone stupid enough to consider that monstrosity suitable for the Presidency doesn't have anything worth listening to - except to the extent that it helps us strategize for the next election.

That said, I wonder if you realize how much we're all laughing at your side, and with much better reason. Y'all seem to live in this bubble, telling yourselves, "I love Trump, and everyone I know loves Trump, and and he won, so he must be the greatest and most popular president EVAH because I love him so much, and why doesn't everyone else see that????" What you don't seem to recognize is that most of the people in America did NOT want him to be President, and still do not want that - he is going into office as perhaps the most unpopular incoming President ever, and y'all people keep screeching "Landslide!!! Blowout!!! Destroyed the Democratic Party!!!" at the tops of your lungs, and you just can't comprehend how completely detached and disconnected you are from the rest of the country.

Most people in America hate Trump, and y'all need to wake up from your wet dream and accept that just about anyone who didn't vote for him genuinely and completely loathes him. What y'all need to grasp is that the majority of people in American do not trust him, do not like him, do not respect him and do NOT want him to be their President, and those people are going to wait for him to screw it up so they can be on him like a pack of rabid dogs on a 3-legged cat. You and your 12 friends do not mean squat - most of the country hates him, and has a pretty low opinion of the people who voted him into office, so when it all goes Trump-like (as anyone with a brain can see that it inevitably must), y'all are gonna find yourselves back on that island where you belong in about 3 seconds' time.

So. Enjoy your 2 or 3 months. I promise yo, we will enjoy the hell of what comes after that.
....aaaaand we're still laughing at you.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:56 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I like Kander a lot, and he intrigues me more all the time. Georgetown Law School grad, former Army intelligence officer, an extremely intelligent man and very independent thinker; married to a highly successful enterpreneur who he met at Georgetown, a Russian woman who was born in the Soviet Union and whose parents fled when The Wall fell... he's one of the last-born Millennials, right on the boundary of Gen X (2 months later, and he'd be the first X-er to be seriously discussed in a discussion about future Presidential prospects)... Everything about this guy strongly suggests to me that he's one of the relatively few people who understand where the Democratic Party needs to go next, and is just waiting there for it to catch up to him.

Trouble is, he's not a realistic candidate for the 2020 Presidential race. Had he won the Senate seat this year, then maybe he'd be at the outside edge of the credible 2020 candidates, but as it is, he will not have the experience to make a case for himself. However, being that he's only 36, he has plenty of time to build a track record and stake out a legitimate claim as one of the Democratic Party's "Next Generation."

And on somewhat of a tangent, I believe that on a broader scale, Kander represents the direction the Democratic Party has got to go next if they want to have any realistic shot at ma8intaining their credibility and viability. He's from the true heartland of America, the southern Midwest, and consistently promotes the traditional values and priorities of the demographic that Trump swooped in and snatched from the talons of the Democratic Party this year. This is a man who understands on a molecular level how conservative personal and economic values can (and should) integrate with liberal social values. This is a guy who has the right idea, and who seems to clearly see both where the country is going and where the electorate needs to feels that is it is going, and who instinctively knows how to weave those disparate elements into a common narrative that resonates with the American electorate.

This guy has a future, and if the Democratic Party wants to have one as well, then they need to align themselves with people like this right now, so that they're all comfortable with one another 2, 4, and 6 years down the road.

I like Kander too. He now has two choices....
  • Challenge Clair McCaskill in the Democrat primary in 2018 for her seat and prove that he is an outsider more interested in the nation rather than party politics. That he represents the "new" Democrat party. IMO, if he played it right he could toss her out. Would be interesting to see how the DNC might handle that situation.
  • Sit on the side lines and/or support McCaskill because he is a good "democrat". Meaning, his near future national political career is probably over.
(In any case, I don't think McCaskill is going to be able to hold that seat. IMO, she's going to be very accommodating to Trump over the next couple of years. )

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 12-27-2016 at 04:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies