Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:01 PM

20 posts, read 8,333 times

Advertisements

I'm confused by the term "Native American" because the tribes scattered all around this country were not "American" to begin with, but became American once European settlers created America as we know it.

So in fact, it is the founding Europeans and their ancestors who should be labeled "Native Americans."

Wouldn't "Native Peoples" be more accurate?

Old 12-21-2016, 07:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runie View Post
I'm confused by the term "Native American" because the tribes scattered all around this country were not "American" to begin with, but became American once European settlers created America as we know it.

So in fact, it is the founding Europeans and their ancestors who should be labeled "Native Americans."

First Nations

Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM

626 posts, read 381,362 times
ask elizabeth warren

Old 12-21-2016, 07:05 PM

20 posts, read 8,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
First Nations
There you go. I knew there was another term out there.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:

They were native to the continent so what difference does it make who named the continent or what they named it?

Old 12-21-2016, 07:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
There you go. I knew there was another term out there.
In general it is used more by native peoples who live within the Canadian border.

Here in the US, I will use the name that I am told by the people themselves they prefer. When I was in NY I was told by members of the Seneca nation, they prefer to be called Seneca people, or if a collective term they prefer American Indian.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:02 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
They were native to the continent so what difference does it make who named the continent or what they named it?
Actually they were not native to the continent. They crossed the land bridge from Asia.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:

Asian settlers would be correct. The Native Americans were not native, they are from Asia. Native Americans were foreign settlers, just like the Europeans were. And of course, we are all ultimately Black. Nonetheless, this is all in the past. Today, in this world, I am a Native American, having been born in America on Manhattan Island. I accept no one else as having a superior claim to my own, of being a Native American.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
No, Indigenous Tribal Groups would be the most accurate.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Quote:

Native is someone originating from a certain place and America is the name of the two American continents (North and South).. Native Americans were native to North America prior to Europeans colonizing it and creating a country.. Hence the title... North America was North America well before 13 British colonies banned together...

Do they not teach history in school anymore?

"The naming of the Americas, or America occurred shortly after Christopher Columbus's voyage to the Americas in 1492. It is generally accepted that the name derives from Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian explorer, who explored the new continents in the following years."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies