Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:01 PM

32,234 posts, read 15,204,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Native is someone originating from a certain place and America is the name of the two American continents (North and South).. Native Americans were native to North America prior to Europeans colonizing it and creating a country.. Hence the title... North America was North America well before 13 British colonies banned together...

Do they not teach history in school anymore?

"The naming of the Americas, or America occurred shortly after Christopher Columbus's voyage to the Americas in 1492. It is generally accepted that the name derives from Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian explorer, who explored the new continents in the following years."
They can't keep up with the teaching of history. Every year is history making and there is only so much time to spend on it. My son majored in history and knows all of this. But that's his field.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:12 PM

11,125 posts, read 5,632,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runie View Post
I'm confused by the term "Native American" because the tribes scattered all around this country were not "American" to begin with, but became American once European settlers created America as we know it.

So in fact, it is the founding Europeans and their ancestors who should be labeled "Native Americans."

Wouldn't "Native Peoples" be more accurate?
The title, "First Nation" seems most correct to me and is the one that many of that ethnic group use to describe themselves. Of course, that is assuming that some of the legends about Chinese, Polynesian and even Aryans from Europe coming here first, are not correct. That suggestion would probably not be politically-correct among First Nation people.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:22 PM

20 posts, read 8,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
New Mexico has quite a few families that have been there since the 1600's; it's certainly possible. They came directly from Spain, so yes, they're immigrant familes; descended from European immigrants.
That's where I'm from and Spanish is my heritage.

It's funny, people in the US usually can't place us. We're taller than Mexicans and Mexican/Americans with lighter skin, and many of us are not fluent in Spanish. But we do have a signature accent or "moch" (New Mexican accent)

Old 12-23-2016, 10:15 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,095,764 times
Quote:
In the case of Spain and Portugal, the settlers didn't abide by their sponsoring governments' agreement with other nations, but the British, French and Dutch did. This is not an "argument" or theory, this is legal history, as taught in law schools across the country, and in history of Indian affairs courses in colleges. It's historical fact, not a matter of opinion.

Such nonsense. As we all know, or should know, the state of Humanities teaching in colleges is completely dominated by political correctness, leftism, collectivism, and hatred of competence and achievement in general, and Capitalism and Western culture in particular. Indian affairs studies? Poppycock and boulderdash. Same as Women's studies. A cesspool of emotionalism and man-hatred.

In fact, if something is taught in an American college, it is automatically suspect. And needs, shall we say, extreme vetting.

So historical fact, histschmorical fact:

https://www.reference.com/history/di...485591a553fd56#

Native Americans, Treatment of (Spain Vs. England) (Issue) - Dictionary definition of Native Americans, Treatment of (Spain Vs. England) (Issue) | Encyclopedia.com: FREE online dictionary

https://owlcation.com/humanities/Whe...opean-Settlers

Background Essay - Native Americans: Interactions at the Time of Settlement - Resources at Primary Source, Inc.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,359,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Such nonsense. As we all know, or should know, the state of Humanities teaching in colleges is completely dominated by political correctness, leftism, collectivism, and hatred of competence and achievement in general, and Capitalism and Western culture in particular. Indian affairs studies? Poppycock and boulderdash. Same as Women's studies. A cesspool of emotionalism and man-hatred.
Most far right conservatives come from lower income families without a formal education. Most of these residents cannot gain admission into these universities. The acceptance rate and academic standards are too high for them to be even considered. If you examine standardized test scores, the most conservative areas of the country have the lowest scores. Also, if you examine their public school school acceptance rates and entrance statistics, they are much lower when compared to liberal areas.

It is essentially sour grapes. Your people can't get into these schools so they try to imply that they wouldn't want to attend them anyway. Therefore you attempt to minimize them by accusing them of politically correct and leftist as if what they teach is not factual or relevant.

It's no different than what radical Islamic clerics do when they label our education as being "westernized"

If your people had the talent, culture and drive to be able to attend one of these prestigious schools, they would definitely attend them. But they can't so they demonize them and talk up Bob Jones and Liberty University. You are not fooling anyone when you attempt to minimize Harvard and other Ivy League schools as being "politically correct"

Old 12-23-2016, 10:44 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

In fact, if something is taught in an American college, it is automatically suspect. And needs, shall we say, extreme vetting.
I'm a fiscally conservative republican and I can say with utmost accuracy that when you say "As we all know", you really mean, "As one with most ignorance feels".

Maybe you went to a low quality college or never attended. I can't say for sure. But the quality of education one receives is directly related to the quality of institution one attends.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I'm a fiscally conservative republican and I can say with utmost accuracy that when you say "As we all know", you really mean, "As one with most ignorance feels".

Maybe you went to a low quality college or never attended. I can't say for sure. But the quality of education one receives is directly related to the quality of institution one attends.

"Utmost accuracy"... Wow, that's a whole lot of accuracy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/op...ance.html?_r=0

"I can say with reasonable certitude"...

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/...ofessor-afraid

"Look, I am pretty damned sure that"...

At Harvard, Leftist Professors Inspire Leftist Students to “Rebel” | Power Line

"Perhaps I know what I am talking about, or perhaps not. But I am fiscally conservative"...

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...d-further-left

"Who can be certain of anything? Life isn't black and white, it's 50 shades of gray..."

Survey shocker: Liberal profs admit they'd discriminate against conservatives in hiring, advancement - Washington Times

Maybe the dopey real estate agent is on to something and I should check my premises...

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 12-23-2016 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Most far right conservatives come from lower income families without a formal education. Most of these residents cannot gain admission into these universities. The acceptance rate and academic standards are too high for them to be even considered. If you examine standardized test scores, the most conservative areas of the country have the lowest scores. Also, if you examine their public school school acceptance rates and entrance statistics, they are much lower when compared to liberal areas.

It is essentially sour grapes. Your people can't get into these schools so they try to imply that they wouldn't want to attend them anyway. Therefore you attempt to minimize them by accusing them of politically correct and leftist as if what they teach is not factual or relevant.

It's no different than what radical Islamic clerics do when they label our education as being "westernized"

If your people had the talent, culture and drive to be able to attend one of these prestigious schools, they would definitely attend them. But they can't so they demonize them and talk up Bob Jones and Liberty University. You are not fooling anyone when you attempt to minimize Harvard and other Ivy League schools as being "politically correct"

OK, is this your A-List satire? Because I don't like wasting time going against the B-Roll.

I'm just wondering why you think I would "talk up" Bob Jones University. Students who attend BJU seek a "Christian" education. Why would you think I advocate an institution that openly advocates mysticism as opposed to Reason. If I am condemning Islamism as a primitive mystical vestige of the Dark Ages, as I have, over and over, why on Earth would you think I entertain the inane mysticism of a competing faith?

Liberty University? Seriously? Odd. Very odd. I can only assume that you conclude that I am a Christian Fundamentalist instead of a stark raving atheist.

So, your assignment, if you want to avoid Summer School, is to re-smear me utilizing the correct doctrine.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:41 PM

9,023 posts, read 13,900,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You are technically correct, but it still does not seem to bother Indians/Native Americans. It may annoy or bemuse Indian-Americans, but I am not sure.

There are other such misnomers.

In New York City, Puerto Ricans are still commonly referred to as "The Spanish." Inaccurate but benign.

Pennsylvania Dutch is a mispronunciation of Deutsch as in German.

And I assume Cajuns are called as such because Southerners could not spit out Acadian.

In the past Indians from India were actually called Hindu's,but everyone in India isn't Hindu,which is a religion anyway and not an ethnicity.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,323,413 times
Quote:
New Mexico has quite a few families that have been there since the 1600's; it's certainly possible. They came directly from Spain, so yes, they're immigrant familes; descended from European immigrants.
Yeah, well i don't think that poster is from New Mexico. Seems like he's a regular ol' white dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies