Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:51 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Malarky.

Bernie Sanders is a liberal left guy and he's all about the working class. So are tons of others.

Who has been pushing for labor standards, raising the minimum wage, health insurance for the working class... ?

While right wing folks spread a lot of BS around, their policies have steadily undermined the working class and have for years.
It is indeed baffling.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:00 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,864,183 times
You guys really do not get why these celebrities are coming out against Trump, do you ? It has nothing to do with their fame or money, it has everything to do with them simply being so against Donald Trump, and them having the ability to speak to the press (a luxury we average guys do not have) that they are making their feelings known.

I realize that Trump and some of his followers would LOVE that there be nothing but glorious things said about his winning, but that is not going to happen. 50% of us know what an unqualified, dangerous, unethical human being he is, and you are going to continue to see more and more of us come out and denounce his Presidency. And yes, some of us are famous and will be saying those things in public.

Hope that clears it up for you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 08:03 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You guys really do not get why these celebrities are coming out against Trump, do you ? It has nothing to do with their fame or money, it has everything to do with them simply being so against Donald Trump, and them having the ability to speak to the press (a luxury we average guys do not have) that they are making their feelings known.

I realize that Trump and some of his followers would LOVE that there be nothing but glorious things said about his winning, but that is not going to happen. 50% of us know what an unqualified, dangerous, unethical human being he is, and you are going to continue to see more and more of us come out and denounce his Presidency. And yes, some of us are famous and will be saying those things in public.

Hope that clears it up for you all.
I find it alarming that so many people in this thread seem to be implying that entertainers should be FORCED to perform and FORBIDDEN to speak out. What is this, Ancient Rome?

Old 12-25-2016, 08:57 AM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
I am at a loss here. I don't even get what the upside to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir endorsing Trump would be, and they don't have ticket sales to worry about.

Surely, someone can think of something.
Quote:
Why the Mormon Tabernacle Choir agreed to sing at Trump's inauguration remains a mystery. Trump is against nearly everything they stand for.

As Mormons celebrate Christ's birth, surely they are asking themselves this same question.
I'm not sure why this "remains a mystery" to you. I already answered this question in the other thread you brought it up in and, as a matter of fact, I quoted you in my response. Was it that my answer didn't make sense, or what? In that thread, I posted the Church's response to all the fallout:

“The choir’s participation continues its long tradition of performing for U.S. presidents of both parties at inaugurations and in other settings, and is not an implied support of party affiliations or politics. It is a demonstration of our support for freedom, civility and the peaceful transition of power.â€

The Choir doesn't perform to earn money or garner a fan-base. They're not worrying that their performance will result in a drop in record sales. They perform because the love music and love to raise people's spirits. Heaven knows we need something to raise people's spirits for the next four years. Yes, Trump is against nearly everything the Church stands for. It's no secret that Mormons don't like the guy. But the election is over. It's too late to "endorse" anybody. It's time to move on. If Clinton had won, and had asked them to perform at her inauguration, they'd have almost certainly accepted the invitation. And let me tell you, she is also against nearly everything they stand for.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:01 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
I mean, I understand the performers better than the designers for some reason. If I were a designer, I would want Melania to show off my product.

Trump and his recent cabinet appointments stand for everything that Hollywood A listers are against. They are creative people with plenty of LGBTQ members as well as women's rights.

Trump burned a lot of bridges in his divisive campaign. Now, he doesn't like the effects of same.

Too bad. Let's see if he can fix it.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:03 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I find it alarming that so many people in this thread seem to be implying that entertainers should be FORCED to perform and FORBIDDEN to speak out. What is this, Ancient Rome?
Lot of alarming things going on, but these attempts at silencing opposing opinions is right there at the top.

Kellyanne Conway is making the round of talk shows insisting that people not speak ill of Trump.

What the hell?

Old 12-25-2016, 09:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Leftists have hated the working class since the late 1960s.
Perhaps some examples or elaboration to back up your claim.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:06 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,907,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Because it is YOUR JOB!!!! You get paid to sing, not give an opinion about your HOST. If I pay your fee, I should be able to hire you. Your "art" is not a part time hobby.
False, a business should be able to turn down customers for any reason whatsoever. A business is not a job.

Funny , how on this thread liberals and conservative positions are both diametrically opposed to their views on a bakery's decision not to bake a wedding cake.

I am always consistent, businesses should be able to turn down customers for any reason, including race, sexual orientation and politics.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:14 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Every day there seems to be someone to be eager for their 5 min of fame to declare they don't want to provide clothes or sing for the President or his family and an actor who believesthe voters will listen to them.

How many more fools will step up to the plate to announce their own destruction and being part of the laughing stock.

The voters clearly didn't care about the media lies and Clinton campaigns false news.

Todat it is Swiss/Canadian Celine Dion who feels she is important again.

I wonder how well her Vegas show is going..but keep in mind she has millions so she doesn't care now unless like many celebrities they come to face reality that their spending is higher than what's coming in. How many have died with way less than we thought they had. Usually some smart manager will help then to unload.
This has got to be one of the more bizarre posts to come along in a while.

Why would someone declare they don't want to provide clothes for the president and his family? What is that about?

And if they don't want to sing for Trump and his collection of kids and wives, so what? Surely, you don't think folks should be forced to perform for the man. After all, this isn't Nazi Germany.

As to "fools stepping up to the plate to announce their own destruction," what the hell is that all about? You think Elton John is going to miss out on all the revenue Trump supporters are sending his way?

"Media lies and campaign false news." I have to assume you are talking about Trump as the man lies every three minutes during his rallies. Lately, he's been traveling about claiming he won the popular vote, which even he knows is a lie.

He lies so often, that Kellyanne Conway is on tape insisting we can't hold him to the truth as he doesn't know what the truth is.

Celine Dion is not Swiss. Did you mean French/Canadian? And how would you know her "spending is higher than what's coming in?"

And who cares that some have died with way less than we thought they had?

What is this post all about anyway?

Old 12-25-2016, 09:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
They only understand money. Since we don't have the same microphone, you have to not buy their stuff. They all speak the language of money. Don't go to their movies. Don't buy their records. Don't buy whatever product they're hawking. When they promote some charity, just give to a different one. You don't have to say anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies