Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:51 PM

638 posts, read 310,390 times

Advertisements

No, this doesn't belong in the finance section. It belongs right here in the politics section.

You see I use Discover as much as humanly possible. Yes, I have the complete set of plastic bandits in my wallet. Amex, Visa, and Mastercard, but as often as I'm permitted I'll always reach for Discover.

When Bush started, and Obama subsequently finished all those ridiculous bank bailouts with our money and no preconditions, where did that money go? Well, while accountants will argue about lines on a spreadsheet, the bottom line is other banks were in effect using that money to pay salaries in other countries such as India, the Philippines, etc.

To this day if you call Amex, or say Citi customer service, you're going end up talking to someone in another country.

But not Discover. Never, not once, did they outsource American customer service jobs to another country. Yes, their interest rates are a little lousy, and their card benefits certainly lack some luster, but they managed to keep the company going while always employing 100% American customer service reps. Granted, I don't really know whether or not they have any back office people working in other countries, but you can always count on one thing when you call them for help. You are helping to employ and feed another American.

For the life of me I don't know why they refrain from marketing that little detail, but I hope under Trump they start to. People should know that when times got tough, and costs went up, Discover figured out a way.

Granted, not every business can simply "figure it out". Manufacturing for instance really hasn't had a choice. But Discover did have a choice, they did figure it out, and they stuck with their country.

So if you call yourself a patriotic American, as Sam L. would ask, "what's in YOUR wallet?"

What's the point of this thread? Well I'd like to know what you do as a patriotic American to justify calling yourself a "patriotic American". Because maybe I'm missing something that I too should be doing, so I'd like to know. Maybe you're missing something, and might find it here.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-22-2016 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: asking for reps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 05:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Trump Visa Gold.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:55 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
None. Just the Debit Card my bank provides.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:57 PM

You'd be surprised what a security issue that is. I will never use a debit card, and I don't let companies withdraw from my bank accounts for bills either. Read up on it. It's not pretty.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post

Well I'd like to know what you do as a patriotic American to justify calling yourself a "patriotic American".
I use the First Amendment to call out the orange-colored fool who is such a complete and total jerk he dissed POW's.

It's a great country.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-22-2016 at 06:31 PM..

Old 12-22-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I use the First Amendment to call out the orange-colored fool who is such a complete and total jerk he dissed POW's.

It's a great country.
No, he dissed John McCain. A dirtbag who has been riding that history entirely too long. The rest of us shouldn't have to pay for the stupidity of Arizona.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Cash, the only thing I use a card for is online purchases.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:48 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Chase VISA Rewards credit card for almost everything, AmEx credit card for work / travel. And those are the only two cards I have.

I will say it was a pain in the ass to make sure Chase didn't block my HTC Vive purchase (which happened to many a poor soul this past April). And I am on my fourth credit card number due to all the fraud...

Old 12-22-2016, 06:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I'm not partial to any particular card.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:56 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
to the OP:

In 2012 Discover was ordered to pay over $200 million in fines and customer reimbursements to settle accusations by U.S. federal regulators that it had engaged in deceptive telemarketing tactics.

Just FYI

I have lots of credit cards and have been using Discover for over 25 years. I also have a Discover MM account. I have no complaints, but it's just a bank. Using a particular credit card has absolutely nothing to do with being patriotic.

This thread should be moved to Finance. Your personal rant has absolutely nothing to do with today's politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies