Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:48 PM

7,640 posts, read 8,713,437 times

Advertisements

'She Her Hers': Pronoun Pins Handed Out at University of Kansas - NBC News

Quote:
The buttons come in three versions: "He him his," ''She her hers" and, for people who don't identify themselves as male or female, "They them theirs."

"Because gender is, itself, fluid and up to the individual," a sign at the libraries reads. "Each person has the right to identify their own pronouns, and we encourage you to ask before assuming someone's gender. Pronouns matter! Misgendering someone can have lasting consequences, and using the incorrect pronoun can be hurtful, disrespectful, and invalidate someone's identity."
Why is only gender treated this way? I think one should also get buttons to show one's preferred birthday gifts, social titles, and salaries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 10:55 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
'She Her Hers': Pronoun Pins Handed Out at University of Kansas - NBC News

Why is only gender treated this way? I think one should also get buttons to show one's preferred birthday gifts, social titles, and salaries...
Apparently you don't know many Trans folks. They are seriously fluid in their gender pronouns. Its confusing as hell.

Also most of what you mention is private. The title thing is funny be cause its in my cube at work. And I know Dr's that wear a nametag all day with their title and name on it.

I think they should also offer free "My name is" tags too. I don't mind the name changes...but when they do it over and over and act annoyed when you get it wrong and call them Janet when this week its Jill, that is just annoying.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
How about people just come back to their senses and realize that some things should simply remain private?

I think a big problem we have: while the progressives want everyone to make their sexual preference public and attach cute words/names to said preferences, they want people with opposing ideas to sit down and be quiet.

It's a confused position of projecting open mindedness and closed mindedness at the same time. I believe such internal contradictions are signs of insanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Apparently you don't know many Trans folks. They are seriously fluid in their gender pronouns. Its confusing as hell.
I understand exactly what you are talking about!

Hell, I've witnessed gays arguing about their gayness. They seriously have levels of acceptability when it comes to their sexuality.

Posers and Vogue'ing come to mind as terms used in said argument.

I mean... how does one determine that a person must qualify a level of being gay enough?

Last edited by steven_h; 12-28-2016 at 11:14 PM..

Old 12-28-2016, 11:28 PM

289 posts, read 145,843 times
This nonsense is getting out of control. Nobody cares, how about some free buttons that say that.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:32 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I think a big problem we have: while the progressives want everyone to make their sexual preference public and attach cute words/names to said preferences, they want people with opposing ideas to sit down and be quiet.

It's a confused position of projecting open mindedness and closed mindedness at the same time. I believe such internal contradictions are signs of insanity.
Let me try another way then to explain it to you. Feel free to say whatever you want*. But your rights end at your nose. IE the gays can marry, be in the military and get killed, etc.

The *? Because we have a lot of limits on speech. Threats, for example are out. Yelling fire in a theater? Also out. Incitement to riot? yup-out. And its been that way for a while. Want to argue a specific speech thing? Sure. But keep in mind-corporations are free to limit it in any way they legally can. And often your issue is that they choose to-often because of others free speech encouraging that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinFam5 View Post
This nonsense is getting out of control. Nobody cares, how about some free buttons that say that.
Well I kinda care. I try and be polite to people. Shrug, if they want a button so others get it right, whats the issue? Its not a problem for me.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
I liked that idea of the guy who chose his pronoun as "Your majesty"

From now on you shall all refer to me as, "The infinitely wise, most magnificent of thinkers, most modest of all."

Old 12-29-2016, 06:09 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Everytime I think things couldn't possibly get any more ridiculous someone almost immediately comes along and proves me wrong.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Dumb question.

If we did away with all but the top 10% of research universities and had 95% of everyone earn bachelors at their local community college which only offered the top 15 or so stand alone direct-to-employment (Teacher, RN, Accounting, Mech Eng...) majors. Would we really do harm to our country? Seems like we waste an awful lot of money and energy on things that do not advance peoples' employability.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:29 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
They also need a badge for:
"Burger flipper support engineer"
"Sanitation Engineer in training"
"Helpless, Hopeless, but with Credentials"

Old 12-29-2016, 06:33 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
Where is "It" at ?
The Addams Family sitcom remember cousin It ?
Stood 3 feet tall,brown,very hairy...bet It was a snowflake too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies