Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

I notice some people, women in particular, make a big thing out of being a woman. Yes, I DO realise men are largely responsible for this, nor am I saying it's a bad thing...but it's like they strongly identify as a woman, rather than just as a person. Like they'll always say things like 'I did pretty good for a woman,' 'I'm a spunky girl,' 'girls should do this, or that'...always raising their gender as a reason to do something, or not to do something.

The opposite would be a guy who is afraid to do anything 'girly', who tends to play up his masculinity, his role as a 'man.'

People who tend to only have friends of their own sex, with stereotypical male or female interests would likely be more gender 'typical' or conscious.

Sometimes I feel kind of genderless. Being male feels 'right' to me - definitely not a transsexual, the idea of actually being a woman would seem weird, but I can imagine it. More it's all the societal pressures that women have to face. But a lot of the time I see myself as just a person, and when I relate to women it's seldom in a gender-conscious way. Sometimes I feel almost self-conscious to even raise gender, although it's probably because I'm shy. I guess having some a friend who is trans, and knowing some ***** people, or otherwise nerdy/non-mainstream people also has an affect on it.

But yes, some people are always saying things like 'guys will do this, or girls are like that' - it's like they make a big deal of gender. I would call such people very gender-conscious people, who see the differences more than the similarities.

Not bashing those who do...I know the genders are different, but generally I only raise points of differences when absolutely necessary.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I notice some people, women in particular, make a big thing out of being a woman. Yes, I DO realise men are largely responsible for this, nor am I saying it's a bad thing...but it's like they strongly identify as a woman, rather than just as a person. Like they'll always say things like 'I did pretty good for a woman,' 'I'm a spunky girl,' 'girls should do this, or that'...always raising their gender as a reason to do something, or not to do something.

The opposite would be a guy who is afraid to do anything 'girly', who tends to play up his masculinity, his role as a 'man.'

People who tend to only have friends of their own sex, with stereotypical male or female interests would likely be more gender 'typical' or conscious.

Sometimes I feel kind of genderless. Being male feels 'right' to me - definitely not a transsexual, the idea of actually being a woman would seem weird, but I can imagine it. More it's all the societal pressures that women have to face. But a lot of the time I see myself as just a person, and when I relate to women it's seldom in a gender-conscious way. Sometimes I feel almost self-conscious to even raise gender, although it's probably because I'm shy. I guess having some a friend who is trans, and knowing some ***** people, or otherwise nerdy/non-mainstream people also has an affect on it.

But yes, some people are always saying things like 'guys will do this, or girls are like that' - it's like they make a big deal of gender. I would call such people very gender-conscious people, who see the differences more than the similarities.

Not bashing those who do...I know the genders are different, but generally I only raise points of differences when absolutely necessary.

I don't know what else I'm supposed to be identifying with. The other choices would be man or a mixture of the two and those don't fit.

And I see guys doing the same thing: They don't want to watch 'chick flicks,' they don't want to dress a certain way and appear 'metro sexual, they must feel this way b/c they identify strongly with being men.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I don't know what else I'm supposed to be identifying with. The other choices would be man or a mixture of the two and those don't fit.

And I see guys doing the same thing: They don't want to watch 'chick flicks,' they don't want to dress a certain way and appear 'metro sexual, they must feel this way b/c they identify strongly with being men.
Yep, both do it, it's more the individual.

I do think society sort of allows more room for men these days to 'forget' about their gender though. Women who don't make a thing out of being pretty are sometimes criticized by their peers and men.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,332 times
Some are still stuck in the past, and others can't help how they were raised. I think certain progressive people are reprimanded for not staying in their stereotype box. I've been reprimanded for dressing too stylish for a guy, or not watching sports, even smiling too much as a guy, because apparently guys should be more serious or something.

It doesn't affect me because I don't think I'm the one that's wrong. If someone still thinks gender norms should be policied, they most likely aren't very open minded, which means I can't take them seriously.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times
No. A lot of people aren’t sure what gender I am upon first meeting me. I get “he”, “she”, “sir”, “miss”…I’ve even had people say “what kind of name is [Nim] for a guy?” and also had people tell me “Careful! That’s the women’s restroom! The men’s is down the hall!” Basically, I get it all. I get people avoiding picking one pronoun with me. For example, I was on a flight and the flight attendant must have made some error cause she was going around asking people “Are you Mr. Johnson? Are you Ms. Thompson?” And then when she got around to me she said, “Are you—is your last name [Chimpsky]?” Lol.

I don’t make it a point to correct people unless they are going to be very involved in my life somehow. I let customer service people just pick one gender and stick with it. Of course if I am going to be good friends with someone, or working side-by-side, and especially if I am romantically interested in them, I’ll let them know I am biologically female. But beyond that I wear what I feel like wearing and engage in whatever activities I enjoy, regardless of the associated gender. I don’t really care what gender people see me as, so long as they treat me like a human being.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Yep, both do it, it's more the individual.

I do think society sort of allows more room for men these days to 'forget' about their gender though. Women who don't make a thing out of being pretty are sometimes criticized by their peers and men.

I don't know what you mean by that last line.

All I know is JetJockey is a female mechanic and pretty sure she's reminded of this daily whether she wants to be or not. People are of either gender and it's going to play a part regardless, world we live in.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Some are still stuck in the past, and others can't help how they were raised. I think certain progressive people are reprimanded for not staying in their stereotype box. I've been reprimanded for dressing too stylish for a guy, or not watching sports, even smiling too much as a guy, because apparently guys should be more serious or something.

It doesn't affect me because I don't think I'm the one that's wrong. If someone still thinks gender norms should be policied, they most likely aren't very open minded, which means I can't take them seriously.
Every noticed how masculine men are often portrayed as the strong, silent type, who are really serious looking all the time?

Goofy, happy guys are often portrayed as being buffoons. Men who act too, well, gay (as in happy) are often seeing as being gay (as in homosexual).

I think women are expected to be more cheerful and personable...men are sometimes even expected to be almost hostile, or at least less approachable. I mean that's why people, males or females, often find it easier to first relate to women. Of course what happens after that maybe often be the opposite.

Because of all the gender threads I post here some people may think I am very gender conscious, but it's actually because all the gender rules annoy me that I think about them so much.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,332 times
I agree, especially with:"but it's actually because all the gender rules annoy me that I think about them so much."

Yep, this. I think society is still budding from people having to fit in, to people actually wanting to be individuals, which is better in my opinion. Each has its pros and cons, but forcing people to assimilate or be ostracised is what society used to be and some people are still like that.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I agree, especially with:"but it's actually because all the gender rules annoy me that I think about them so much."

Yep, this. I think society is still budding from people having to fit in, to people actually wanting to be individuals, which is better in my opinion. Each has its pros and cons, but forcing people to assimilate or be ostracised is what society used to be and some people are still like that.
don't know what society you live in but it's still like that. doesn't matter b/c a few people want to push individuality because it's the popular thing to say. people as a whole aren't really as 'into this' as they like others to beleive. Be very different from the 'norm' and you'll see how that works out. Not very well.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,942 times
Quote:

I only care about gender in one context;
Those who I want to have sex with (1/3 of the females I meet)
The rest (males+2/3rds of females) are simply not of concern in terms of gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.