Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 07:42 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

MJersey is VERY concerned with keeping uniforms uniform, you see. Rumor has it that she yanked a Brownie out of line in her hometown Memorial Day parade because the kid had her sash on backwards. So if you are getting any ideas that this has to do with bigotry, squash them right now. It's all about uniforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 AM

435 posts, read 430,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Uh, the turbans should be a dead giveaway. Muslims don't wear turbans, as a rule.

Do you think every guy with darker skin and a beard is a Muslim?

As to SWAT/riot gear - I have no idea. I'm betting that's the point where religious doctrine surpasses the "reasonable accommodation" threshold or that officer safety concerns trump "reasonable accommodation". What does the new NYPD uniform code say about it?
If you google ISIS and then click images, you will see that the leader of ISIS Al-Baghdadi wears a turban. Bin Laden wore a turban. So, actually I think my question was fair and in the spirit of truly better understanding the variety of religions across the world.

Thanks to another nice poster I now know that the Sikh turbans kind of come up to a point and can be colorful.

I tried googling for info on what happens with the police have to don riot gear - not much coming up. I'd have to be paid to look through administrative code (blah) as I do that often for a living and it can be very tedious. Surprised one of our great news reporters hasn't asked the question yet.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:07 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
If you google ISIS and then click images, you will see that the leader of ISIS Al-Baghdadi wears a turban. Bin Laden wore a turban. So, actually I think my question was fair and in the spirit of truly better understanding the variety of religions across the world.

Thanks to another nice poster I now know that the Sikh turbans kind of come up to a point and can be colorful.

I tried googling for info on what happens with the police have to don riot gear - not much coming up. I'd have to be paid to look through administrative code (blah) as I do that often for a living and it can be very tedious. Surprised one of our great news reporters hasn't asked the question yet.
Sorry, I was a bit hasty with my post. It should have said the "style of turban", I was making assumptions there that I shouldn't have. My bad.

I haven't been able to find a copy of the "new" NYPD uniform regs online, either. The uniform and admin guides I've been able to find are dated from this spring.

I'm betting the turban comes off and the helmet goes on, however, just like with any other authorized uniform headgear.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:11 AM

435 posts, read 430,761 times
Quote:
Sorry, I was a bit hasty with my post. It should have said the "style of turban", I was making assumptions there that I shouldn't have. My bad.

I haven't been able to find a copy of the "new" NYPD uniform regs online, either. The uniform and admin guides I've been able to find are dated from this spring.

I'm betting the turban comes off and the helmet goes on, however, just like with any other authorized uniform headgear.
I am hoping you are right with the helmet going on for safety's sake!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
NYPD allows turbans and beards
Ok, so a dress code, and daily shaving mandate has not been imposed yet. Anything else?

Old 12-30-2016, 08:39 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
Quote:
Bwahahahahahaha! As soon as you start paying NYC taxes that fund the NYPD, you *might* have an argument.
I do pay taxes, tolls, fees, and other support both directly and indirectly to NYC.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:40 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
MJersey is VERY concerned with keeping uniforms uniform, you see. Rumor has it that she yanked a Brownie out of line in her hometown Memorial Day parade because the kid had her sash on backwards. So if you are getting any ideas that this has to do with bigotry, squash them right now. It's all about uniforms.
Now you're just losing it and being ridiculous.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:49 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I do pay taxes, tolls, fees, and other support both directly and indirectly to NYC.

So does everyone that visits the city. Try again.

Please detail for us all how you envision that this uniform allowance negatively impacts you as a taxpayer and concerned citizen.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:58 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Now you're just losing it and being ridiculous.
Now you're catching on. Yes, I am being ridiculous with that post, absolutely and intentionally. It reflects the total ridiculousness of your stance throughout this thread.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:27 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Hijabs very soon

Too much PC crap...Stop all special accommodations

When the door is open all will come through....
NYPD Now Allows Cops to Wear Religious Beards and Turbans
The whole point of an uniform is uniformity, so I say no exceptions. I'm rather strict though, I even make the kids tuck their soccer jerseys in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies