Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
My sister in law and her husband and children are Mormon. I also have a few friends that are. The underwear thing is real (although, I think it has to do with special underwear), no caffeine, no alcohol, the temples aren't open to just anyone either. You must be Mormon to enter one. One of my best friends go ex communicated from the Mormon Church and expelled from BYU for drinking beer. She got caught stashing beer in the snow outside her dorm room.
I thought that list was posted as a joke. I mean, there are 10 Commandments in the Old Testament and I'm sure most of us have broken a few of them.

I used Google and found [URL="http://www.amazingbible.org/Documents/Bible_Studies/Sin_list_part_6.htm"]this list[/URL] of 667 sins listed alphabetically.

IMO most of the people who post on this forum have committed a sin. "Do not speak evil against one another" is in the Bible.

BTW, Trump has committed #29 more than most people.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Now Ponderosa, be fair. Maybe DRob is right. Maybe he and the rest of the Trump faithful were spending those years cheating contractors, using dubious schemes to get out of paying taxes, defrauding innocent people, humiliating their wives with public affairs, walking out on their families... We don't know.

Perhaps that's why they feel such an affinity for the man.

....dissing POW's, dodging the draft, giving the to a shock jock who wants to call their daughter a piece of ass, having five kids by three women, boasting about walking in on naked, underage teenage beauty contestants, calling women fat pigs, admitting they have no respect for women (no surprise with conservative evangelicals), sexually assaulting women and bragging about grabbing their p******....

Most normal people are repulsed by guys like Trump. But not the conservative evangelicals! Not the ones who want to make excises for a guy who would happily pop a Tic Tac in his mouth and assault their wives and daughters.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
A Mormon choir singer does not sound like someone on the "left". Maybe she voted for Evan McMullin.
Didn't you get the memo, anyone that does not support trump has to have supported Hillary, it is easier for simple minds to keep it really simple.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I was just kidding and I noticed that poster used an emoticon with a big smile.

Once in a while we need to inject some humor on this forum, since these threads get very ugly.
True. Sometimes I am convinced that all of the true nut jobs on City-Data can be found on the Politics forum.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:17 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
My sister in law and her husband and children are Mormon. I also have a few friends that are. The underwear thing is real (although, I think it has to do with special underwear), no caffeine, no alcohol, the temples aren't open to just anyone either. You must be Mormon to enter one. One of my best friends go ex communicated from the Mormon Church and expelled from BYU for drinking beer. She got caught stashing beer in the snow outside her dorm room.
I'm a Mormon, and I know the rules. You're right about most of what you said, and wrong about some of it.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It is you looking uneducated.

All over the world now there are many students of history and those that actually experienced it, seeing parallels between what comes out of this guy's mouth and the Nazi leader.
His ability to enamour large groups with his anti this, anti that -rhetoric.
His attraction to disaffected people who see themselves as also disenfranchised.
His unabashed ease at saying one thing to one demographic while saying the exact opposite to others with seemingly no embarrassment at all.
The willingness for his "acolytes" to overlook those aspects of his character you'd keep your daughter indoors for if found to be present in your immediate neighbour.
His well known and very obvious tendencies to privately take full advantage of those financial and immigration policies he publicly scorns to an adoring fan base.
His supposed respect and admiration for the military and even dressing up in emulation of them throughout his college years, but where the rubber hits the road, supposed bone spurs he's still able to play multiple physically demanding sports while afflicted, kept him safe on the sidelines.

You can put all the lip-stick on this pig you like, but at the end of the day he's still going to root in the mud and crap where he eats.

I absolutely LOVE history and I study and read about many different time periods. One part of my maternal family branch left Germany just prior to 1900. Another bunch left between WWI and II. So I've heard actual stories about the sick things that happened.

What Trump says and people being enamored of it has nothing to do with Hitler and is not truly Hitler like. Many professional men (and not so professional men) are truly great speakers. You can find enigmatic speakers in any group; Politicians, Academics, Medicine and Science and the Military. You can even find them in Neighborhood groups and City Council Chambers. That does not make any of those people like Hitler. If you put Obama in the bunch, he may as well also be likened to Hitler. Did he not give speeches that made people swoon and get tingles up their legs? There's not one person on this planet who is pro everything. People are against things. Trump never said anything so divisive that everyone on the planet would abandon him for. There are a lot of people who are PRO Legal Immigration, but ANTI ILLEGAL immigration. Anti Establishment, well, slap my forehead! How awful! (Sarcasm there).

Obama won 2 terms appealing to "disaffected" people, didn't he? EVERY politician in history has done that. There's not really any way to win if you don't appeal to peoples hardships. What exactly did Trump say to one demographic that he did not say, or said the opposite of, to another demographic?

People everywhere overlook politicians personality aspects that are disagreeable, because 9 times out of 10, they aren't voting strictly for how someone looks, talks and if their morals are as clean as Christs. They are voting on things like what that person can do for the economy, how they can make the world safer, or just their little corner of the world. You rail against Trump, yet give old Bill a pass. He is not anyone to be held up as a moral example. Neither is Hillary.

Heck yeah, I have no illusions that he does not take advantage of the loopholes in the law or hire contractors to do builds, and the contractors hire illegals. The Builder who hired contractors to build the house you live in hire illegals. HGTV home improvement shows.....illegals doing the dirty work. The CPA in California that does my husbands business taxes finds every possible write off he can for us. We don't tell him not to.

If you know military history, then you realize things like flat feet, asthma, color blindness and hearing issues were grounds for not serving. Alfred Hitchcock was not able to serve because of his weight, Bruce Springsteen had had a previous concussion, Orson Wells for Asthma, Bruce Lee for poor eyesight, a sinus disorder, and an un descended testicle, Julia Childs for her height, Paul Newman for being color blind (all from a google article "6 Celebrities Rejected for Military Service). My own Maternal Grandfather, who was rejected from serving on the front lines for having flat feet, did see service in WWII in transport. He served in Paris and according to my mom, also flew German POW's back to the US. Despite not being able to actually fight because of the flat feet, he was a very active man and water skiing and football were two of his favorite sports. He was also a volunteer fireman. So, I would expect that a bone spur would be the same type of situation in Trump's case.

And PLEASE; name just one politician that does not root and crap where he eats. For that matter, name one human being that doesn't.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:28 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
He wasn't rationalizing he was asking people to support their assertion that Trump = Hitler.

Frankly, you're proving his point that it's an irrational assertion being made by butt-hurt people after the election.

It also makes the accusers look extremely uneducated as they apparently know nothing about Hitler other than he had a funny moustache and did bad things to lots of people somewhere in like Europe or something.
Honestly, this has nothing to do with anyone losing. What you see in the hearts of people is fear. And you don't have to be educated to know about Hitler. Everyone knows him.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Well, there is that.

But my neighbor cares a lot.

Aside from being appalled that her church is supporting Trump, she doesn't want her her religion aligned with the KKK.

Snicker all you want about it, but the KKK holds rallies in this part of the country. People take it serious.

Really, like how influential nowdays is the KKK really? Not very. The KKK was originally aligned with the Southern arm of the Democratic Party, so either way the Mormon's are screwed. She's worried about that, but ok with Hillary being an avid fan of David Duke....people's hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's the church that is "getting involved" at all. We're talking about one woman who searched her soul and doesn't feel right performing for Trump. They're all volunteers, so it's her right to choose if she doesn't want to sing at his inauguration.
I see what you are saying, and yes, as an individual, she does as she feels. However, some people are getting up in arms about the entire Choir and voicing their displeasure to the Church about it. If there are members that do want to sing, then that should be no ones business but their own as well.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I thought that list was posted as a joke. I mean, there are 10 Commandments in the Old Testament and I'm sure most of us have broken a few of them.

I used Google and found this list of 667 sins listed alphabetically.

IMO most of the people who post on this forum have committed a sin. "Do not speak evil against one another" is in the Bible.

BTW, Trump has committed #29 more than most people.

I sin and quite a lot, but I am only human. Sometimes I am successful at not sinning, but I'm not perfect. Being a Christian doesn't change that. Christians have the 10 Commandments, but Mormons have the 10 commandments, as well as rules put out by Church Elders, such as the no caffeine and no alcohol rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.