Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 03:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why don't you tell the truth

Massive layoffs and job loss due to liberal policies enacted in 1993/1995
You mean the during the best decade for the stock market in decades? Which fake news outlet did you get that from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
There's going to be even more money poured into SS and medicare because of all these jobs that have been created because of Trump! Doesn't anybody get it? LOL. It doesn't take a rocket scientist!
Obama created more jobs his last year in office than trump created in his first.

Now his nonsense trade war is starting to kill jobs

Old 10-22-2018, 04:34 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
[quote=Mircea;53434216]GOP policies were not the cause.

Yeah they were. Phil Gramm and his goal of getting rid of Glass Stegall opened the doors. The GOP under Bush then followed through.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Use your 401-k. SS is designed as a backup guarantee. In 2008/9 not one SS recipient lost a dime!
12.4% is far too much investment for a backup plan. Anyone who dies before 75 has been ripped off. Even those who collect longer are cheated out of a better retirement. SS began as an old age insurance and only collected 3%. It has grown wildly out of control robbing Americans of personal investment funds. Again, this is forced serfdom.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:52 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I am your contemporary and I am not sure I agree. I wanted for years to see SS privatized and would have gladly given up all my contributions probably even as late as age 40 but now I would say No Way. I have paid large amounts into the system and want to see some of that come back.

As far as the future, there are many ways to deal with it, such as killing benefits for those that don't need it (i.e. millionaires), pushing retirement age out as people live longer and reducing benefits. I agree o that I could have done much better on my own (and my employer match) but I think many on the Hill would say that SS is a basic social safety net to help avoid indigence in old age.

Note it is absolutely Shocking how many retirees have nothing but SS to depend on in their old age and I personally don't want to see old people starving in their homes.
Like you I have a heavy stake in the program. But, I consider it such an infringement of freedom and theft on most Americans, I'm whiling to give up my stake to see it end. I'm fine with a mandatory private system. The reality is that each generation is getting a worse deal. Our ridiculous debt and deficits are largely tied to shortages in SS contributions. There is no trust fund. Current generations are passing their deficits to future Americans who have no say, which is an abomination.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:38 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
They forget what happened in 2008-09. Massive layoffs and job loss due to GOP policies enacted in 1998-99. Large numbers having to hit their 401K's to try and fail to hang on to their homes.

The current people supporting Trump and the rest of the GOP have short memories.

Lyin Ryan and McConnell have already started to destroy health care. They passed a budget in the House (killimg the ACA) and had a party in the Rose Garden with Trump. McConnell put the vote to the floor and failed to pass it thanks to a couple of the GOP.

They get control again and they will finish what they started.
I did not want to retype. Here it is.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:52 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
This is what, the 18,347th time the liberal fanatics have announced that Republicans would "soon" kill SS and Medicare? After the 18,346 times it didn't come true?

Old 10-22-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
This is what, the 18,347th time the liberal fanatics have announced that Republicans would "soon" kill SS and Medicare? After the 18,346 times it didn't come true?
They keep trying though... Mitch said it needs to happen

Old 10-23-2018, 02:28 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
No one wants to eliminate Medicare and SS, especially not Trump. This is just more scare tactics.
so you are saying Mitch is lying? And by the way, the real issue is cutting back payouts not completely ending medicare or SS. instead they want to and have repeatedly and publicly stated that they want to CUT medicare and SS

this is about the death of a thousand knives and mentally preparing the public for it.

We lost Pensions in my generation. My dad's generation were able to have defined pensions and retire with minor comforts, today Americans to tied to the whims of stock markets and have less fiscal security than they did 30 years ago.

Trumpism takes us further and faster down that road. Do you really want to deny your kids secure healthcare, retirement and housing just so that you can very very slightly lower taxes? The only poeple paying tiny percentages in tax are the poverty stricken and the ultra wealthy..
never before in modern US history have the top tax bands been so low and filled with so many purpose made loop holes.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
so you are saying Mitch is lying? And by the way, the real issue is cutting back payouts not completely ending medicare or SS. instead they want to and have repeatedly and publicly stated that they want to CUT medicare and SS

this is about the death of a thousand knives and mentally preparing the public for it.

We lost Pensions in my generation. My dad's generation were able to have defined pensions and retire with minor comforts, today Americans to tied to the whims of stock markets and have less fiscal security than they did 30 years ago.

Trumpism takes us further and faster down that road. Do you really want to deny your kids secure healthcare, retirement and housing just so that you can very very slightly lower taxes? The only poeple paying tiny percentages in tax are the poverty stricken and the ultra wealthy..
never before in modern US history have the top tax bands been so low and filled with so many purpose made loop holes.
we lost pensions, because the liberal yuppies (of the 80/90's) wanted mobility, they didn't want to be tied to any one company for 20-30 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies