Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 01:25 PM

11,772 posts, read 5,785,673 times

Advertisements

Do you guys never tire of all the BS. I laugh at all of you and your predictions. Been hearing them for the last 20 yrs - over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Do you guys never tire of all the BS. I laugh at all of you and your predictions. Been hearing them for the last 20 yrs - over and over again.
Yes, just ignore what they're doing right now. Ignore the plan they laid out, for everyone to see, and how they have already fulfilled the first part of it. What remains is the cutting now, and they have already talked about how that is what they will tackle after the election.

If we allow them to maintain control of Congress, that is.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:29 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

Normally I kind of agree....I men actually touching social security or medicare has been things that used to be off limits, and that Democrats claimed with little actual evidence.

But they're not wrong when they say Republicans are talking about pretty serious cuts. Even the Republicans are saying it, and they laid out the plan to cut taxes, and then address deficit issues by cutting entitlements. NOT killing them as being discussed by the OP, but come on man, Paul Ryans laid this out pretty calmly and clearly.

And here you are saying "nah-that guy said he would do it, but you folks are being hysterical when you claim he will".

Old 09-19-2018, 02:51 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,232,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm too far away from retirement or medicare, but I'd definitely like to see SS killed, or at least have an option for opting out. Some sort of sliding scale based on age and letting me stop contributions.
Get back to us in a few decades and let us know how you feel.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:52 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,974,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Get back to us in a few decades and let us know how you feel.
If I were allowed to invest my own money, my feelings wouldn't change, sorry to disappoint you.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:45 PM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
GOP to kill SS and Medicare after election.

That's their goal. They would do it today if they could.

As it is the Republicans have done this before. The strategy is called "Starving the Beast". It goes back at least to Reagan.
Yes they want to do grievous harm to people who might vote for them.

Your dial TV worked flawlessly, how dare they want to replace it with digital tv and a remote control!

The car will never replace the horse as transportation!

How obtuse can one get and still be conscious as to believe all SS and medicare will suddenly stop and people will fall over in the streets and alleys. We live the in dark ages.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:47 PM

25,707 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Funny then, that countries that have this privatized system of retirement security that you talk about have crazy levels of elderly poverty rates.

But I guess thats OK.
Let's see you live ONLY on SS. You'd be one of those statistics.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:38 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Eliminating SS would be great

Immediate impacts I can think of:

- Teach people personal finance and responsibility
- Teach people how to plan for their future, outside of just personal finance and responsibility
- Free up government resources which would either a) be eliminated entirely or b) go towards whatever next 'big government' democrat push is, still resulting in a net decrease in resources at the federal level
- Allow me to retire earlier since I can manage my money better than the government (see first point)
- Start limiting governmental oversight and rule of my life and future

You left out one big benefit from eliminating Social Security. That would be to trim down the population by about 50 million of those excess people, who contributed to that system all their working lives and were foolish enough to think it would sustain them as they'd been promised. All the unlucky people who were injured or sick and had their finances wiped out, would also be culled, to make life better for those who think as you do.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:35 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,521,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
GOP to kill SS and Medicare after election.

That's their goal. They would do it today if they could.

As it is the Republicans have done this before. The strategy is called "Starving the Beast". It goes back at least to Reagan.
And they are going to push granny off a cliff, segregate schools and enact Jim Crowe laws, repeal women's right to vote, have concentration camps, and get us into a nuclear war with north korea...don't forget to put that in there...If you are going to fear monger, at least do it right.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,065,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Fear mongering.

This was George Soros' fear mongering talking point of the day. LIBS never cease to amaze me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies