Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:21 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times

Advertisements

President-elect Trump promised people in West Virginia, Kentucky, and other places with a coal mining economy that he would bring back those jobs that have been lost over the past several years. These already Republican areas responded by voting for Trump by record margins. From what I've seen in heard in the news, those supporters want action on this and don't want it to be an empty promise.

While I'm not sure it's realistic to expect ALL of the jobs to come back like in days of yore, nor do I think that anybody (including the people living there) want all environmental protections to go away, coal mining jobs still provide hugely positive effects on the economy there. Plus, it's not realistic for all of the people who lose jobs to simply retrain everyone who lives there or relocate (and outsiders telling them to do this is really presumptuous.)

So I'm curious as to how we can "bring back jobs" to the coal mines without causing too many other problems. One thing I'm thinking of as a possibility is providing funding for clean coal research, which might make coal an acceptable alternative to natural gas or other renewable technologies. What are some other ideas that you have? I'd like to actually see people in coal mining areas have decent jobs, as basically anywhere that depends heavily on manufacturing or energy jobs are going to have busts if things are in low demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 04:23 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
We don’t

Coal does not come back with natural gas prices so low.

There are also studies showing solar will be less costly than coal soon.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:24 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
The environazis will go into arm waving hysterics if Trump ramps up coal mining.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:27 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
So odd then how it was the Dems pushing to extend bennies for coal miners last session.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:29 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
I don't know if Trump said he will bring back coal mine jobs, he did say he doesn't want to kill the coal industry like Obama, and Hillary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
We don’t

Coal does not come back with natural gas prices so low.

There are also studies showing solar will be less costly than coal soon.
Natural gas prices will be going up as oil prices rise.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Trump will tell them that they shouldn't have taken him "literally." When he said he would BRING BACK coal jobs, what he really meant was "Lol, you gotta be kiddin me!"

Old 01-03-2017, 04:33 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
I do not understand why people would want bring back jobs that:

#1.) destroy their environment

#2.) will kill anyone who works them by causing issues like Black Lung Disease

Old 01-03-2017, 04:35 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
From what I've seen in heard in the news, those supporters want action on this and don't want it to be an empty promise.
I want a date with Brooke Shields, and I think my chances are better.

Quote:
One thing I'm thinking of as a possibility is providing funding for clean coal research, which might make coal an acceptable alternative to natural gas or other renewable technologies.
Oh, something like that is definitely going to happen. A nice big research initiative run by a company owned by suitably well-connected 1%er and powered by our tax money. Expect tangible results in, oh, 4 years? Possibly 8. And by "tangible results", I mean a report saying that coal is way clean, always was.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:39 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Export if there is a market... that'll **** some people off too but not all coal burning power plants will be scuttled next year.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I do not understand why people would want bring back jobs that:

#1.) destroy their environment

#2.) will kill anyone who works them by causing issues like Black Lung Disease
Those jobs formed the basis of their communities, there's no denying that. Mining towns only make sense if there's mining taking place. It has to be tough to see your community crumble, your house become increasingly worthless, the young people moving out to where there are better chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies