Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:56 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Poor limp dictator wannabe. Cut off at the pass by the highest court in the land.

Quote:
"I think the first thing is to recognize that from what I know so far because of a decision by the Supreme Court, no president's in a position to cut off funding across the board. It has to be very specific to the matter at hand," de Blasio said. "If we disagree in one particular policy area, there may be opportunities for the federal government to say, ‘well we are not going to fund you in that policy area,’ but not across the board."
New York City mayor says president can't defund sanctuary cities 'across the board' | PolitiFact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Well they really were not going to anyhow, it cost them even more, like the gov shut downs

Old 01-03-2017, 11:05 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Congress sure can. Good thing you guys lost that too.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Whenever this comes up I continue to ask myself, whatever happened to states rights?

Old 01-03-2017, 11:27 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Whenever this comes up I continue to ask myself, whatever happened to states rights?
Time for that civics class I vowed to start on this site.

F. C. S. study how governments operate.
It's called civics.
Did you not study that in high school?

Bob.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Time for that civics class I vowed to start on this site.

F. C. S. study how governments operate.
It's called civics.
Did you not study that in high school?

Bob.
Bite me. If you think you have a point make it.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Congress sure can. Good thing you guys lost that too.
No they cant. The court ruling applies to funding in general.

Example: they cant defund parks and recs because school test scores are not to their liking.

In this case, they cant defund all city agencies just because the police dept wont detain undocumented residents.

Sorry haters, you lose.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:17 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Example: they cant defund parks and recs because school test scores are not to their liking.

In this case, they cant defund all city agencies just because the police dept wont detain undocumented residents.

Sorry haters, you lose.
Really?

Because South Dakota already lost that one in the SCOTUS. They were pressured to raise the legal age to purchase alcohol from 18 to 21 to meet the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, because the FedGov withheld road funding. See South Dakota v Dole 1987.

It's not a violation of the 10th, because it doesn't stop anyone doing anything, the FedGov can withdraw funding, the State need not stop projects, they'd just be required to find alternate forms of funding.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Sorry haters, you lose.
Those are funded by state and local taxes, not federal taxes.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Really?

Because South Dakota already lost that one in the SCOTUS. They were pressured to raise the legal age to purchase alcohol from 18 to 21 to meet the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, because the FedGov withheld road funding. See South Dakota v Dole 1987.

It's not a violation of the 10th, because it doesn't stop anyone doing anything, the FedGov can withdraw funding, the State need not stop projects, they'd just be required to find alternate forms of funding.
Immigration is a Federal issue. The Federal government has even went so far as to sue states for trying to deal with the issue.

So....How does the federal government punish a state for saying they are not going to deal with the issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies