Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 AM

33,588 posts, read 18,199,670 times

Advertisements

Obama was the liar I knew he was. Obama did not disappoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I have to admit, I was devastated when Obama was hired to work for me in 2008. I would grade him:

1. 1st 2 years F due to huge debt he and the Congress created to bail out the banks that bought him off. Obamacare was a terrible law as well.
2. Years 3 & 4 he probably gets a D+ possibly due to Republican Congress slowing the debt.
3. Years 5 & 6 he gets a C.
4. Years 7 & 8 I would give him a C+.

Highlights are killing Osama, allowing the Republicans to fix the messes that Harry & Nancy created, and not getting in any new major wars.

Lows were the debt, poor foreign policy decisions creating the right atmosphere for ISIS, stoking racial animus and the killing of cops, Obamacare, and trying to legislate through Executive Orders.

Overall Grade C- (much better than I expected).

How would you rate his performance?
About the same, hoped for more and would probably gotten more but we had a Political Party that said they would anything and everything to keep him from being re-elected and in the process, along with the other Party brought the government to a stand still.
I would have liked him better had he closed GITMO and put the prisoners on trial and dealt with the matter once and for all.
I think getting involved in Libya, Egypt, and Syria were huge mistakes and it will take decades for things to settle down in those Nations, if ever.
ACA was flawed from the beginning, Forcing citizens to buy health insurance, especially insurance that is nearly worthless was a disgrace and the fines (taxes, yeah right) were BS.
Did like that he went after those drilling deep water and ignoring safety or SOP rules, hopefully it will reduce the chance of that happening again.
I did not like his bailout of Wall Street but did agree with bailing out GM, was sorry that so few responsible for the mess went to prison.
I also liked his support for alternative energy, even though some of the companies did not deserve the support, we have to start finding alternative ways to power our system.
Overall I believe that under the circumstances, much of which he inherited not to mention the vicious opposition he faced, I would give him a C+, not great but a passing grade.

Should be very interesting to see what such a critic will bring for trump, I doubt we will have 8 years to review, and the circumstances are a bit better than what Obama got so we shall see if he is what some claim or what others believe he really is, think there are going to a lot of surprises and not all good ones.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:07 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,906,975 times
Positives:
Started normalizing relations with Cuba which is long overdue
Gay Marriage rights, not all his doing, but a Republican would have put a stop to it

Neutral:
Obama inherited a poor economy and it hasn't gotten worse, but not really any improvement over the last 8 years.

Negatives:
Increase of national debt
Poor foreign policy record, basically a continuation of Bush II
ACA has mostly been a failure.

That's just off the top of my head and the main highlights.

Overall, Id give him a C-. Relatively, I'd give Bush II a D. I'd also put more of the blame on creating ISIS to Bush as that is when ISIS originally formed. Obama has done a decent job fighting ISIS without putting American soldiers in the field of battle.

Given time, I think history will look more positively on the ACA as the final straw for Americans before they wake up to our terrible health care system. I think the next 8 years we will see a huge change in our health care system. We will move to a much freer health care system, or we could move to a single payer system. Americans are too upset for the status quo to remain.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,912,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I agree and Trump agrees that any replacement has to have this provision in it.

It seems like Trump likes all the benefits of ACA and dislikes all the ways it is paid for. I see deficits exploding under Trump. A Republican congress won't be shutting down government over the debt ceiling under a Republican President.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:13 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times
D.

Remember that speech in 2004? How he was going to transcend politics as usual and "bridge the gap?"

None of that happened. If anything, positions have become more polarized. Race relations have worsened. Murders are up. The ACA was a disaster.

The economy is better but I don't know how much he impacted things. We don't know where things would have gone had he done nothing at all.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:29 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,498,346 times
He bombed 7 more countries than I expected,doubled the debt and spied on everyone- A+!

Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,247,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Positives:
Started normalizing relations with Cuba which is long overdue
Gay Marriage rights, not all his doing, but a Republican would have put a stop to it

Neutral:
Obama inherited a poor economy and it hasn't gotten worse, but not really any improvement over the last 8 years.

Negatives:
Increase of national debt
Poor foreign policy record, basically a continuation of Bush II
ACA has mostly been a failure.

That's just off the top of my head and the main highlights.

Overall, Id give him a C-. Relatively, I'd give Bush II a D. I'd also put more of the blame on creating ISIS to Bush as that is when ISIS originally formed. Obama has done a decent job fighting ISIS without putting American soldiers in the field of battle.

Given time, I think history will look more positively on the ACA as the final straw for Americans before they wake up to our terrible health care system. I think the next 8 years we will see a huge change in our health care system. We will move to a much freer health care system, or we could move to a single payer system. Americans are too upset for the status quo to remain.
I agree with everything you said but I would give Bush II a D+ because he did have to deal with the 911 catastrophe although he made some gigantic mistakes on that.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,247,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
D.

Remember that speech in 2004? How he was going to transcend politics as usual and "bridge the gap?"

None of that happened. If anything, positions have become more polarized. Race relations have worsened. Murders are up. The ACA was a disaster.

The economy is better but I don't know how much he impacted things. We don't know where things would have gone had he done nothing at all.
I was impressed with that 2004 speech, now he sound boring to me. Can't disagree with your comments.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:49 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,851,637 times
George Will pretty well summed it up in a 1/5-1/6 Washington Post editorial titled: "Obama was Transformational, Unfortunately". One statement in particular had me nodding my head in agreement:

"Obama has been among the most loquacious of our presidents, but can you call to mind from his Niagara of rhetoric a memorable sentence or even a phrase? If power is the ability to achieve intended effects, his rhetoric has been powerless to produce anything but an empty, inconsequential reputation for speaking well."

Old 01-07-2017, 08:54 PM

3,654 posts, read 3,791,401 times
Since I expected him to function like a small-time community organizer, I was not disappointed. I almost feel sorry for him, and blame the DNC for nominating him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies