Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times

Advertisements

He's been eyeing my Lucky Charms for years now. He and his posse of Kenyan leprechaun thugs have been conspiring to steal my breakfast for almost a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 07:08 PM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Quote:
I hate to tell you this but both the federal and state governments already have broad authority over the election process. And have always had this authority.

Or do you think our elections are currently run by Tralfamadorians?
I hate to tell you this but this new FEDERAL Executive fiat is far more comprehensive and damaging than you consider. Even the states don't like it. The FEDERAL govt. is not supposed to have control over elections and this is a backdoor under the guise of "security". The only security they offer is their own.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:29 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I hate to tell you this but this new FEDERAL Executive fiat is far more comprehensive and damaging than you consider. Even the states don't like it. The FEDERAL govt. is not supposed to have control over elections and this is a backdoor under the guise of "security". The only security they offer is their own.
Can you do into detail on that claim?

Old 01-06-2017, 09:16 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
I hope Obama's motive is to restore public faith in our elections. It can’t come a moment too soon for North Carolina.

Thanks to gerrymandering, purging voter roles, voter suppression... North Carolina is no longer considered a full functioning democracy by the Electoral Integrity Project, but more in the league of pseudo-democracies such as Indonesia and Sierra Leone.
Point of View: North Carolina no longer a democracy | News & Observer

Federal court determined that the “racial gerrymandering” of state legislative districts was so unconstitutional that it ordered new elections this fall.

Meanwhile, government in North Carolina has become arbitrary and detached from the popular will. The HB2 bathroom bill has been a nightmare.

When Democrat Roy Cooper won the election for governor, McCrory and the Republicans tried a midnight power grab that is unprecedented, and quite likely, unconstitutional.

McCrory refused to concede for so long that I thought we were all going to have to march to Raleigh and pry his fingers loose.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Statements like that usually require explanation. If the article is supposed to do that, it really doesn't actually specify what the problem is. It vaguely accuses this as a move toward centralizing elections but doesn't really specify why that's bad. It points out that some disagree, but that's not really controversial.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I absolutely agree: Republicans are how nations die.
Nation has grown to what we have now, under what was far more conservative past than what we have now. Guess its so much better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies