Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:55 PM

560 posts, read 453,310 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I've been reading the forums and hearing all the talk about the repeal of the ACA, but I haven't seen anything that says what happens to everyone who bought insurance already or are on their parents plans. If you already paid for your insurance will they refund you? For example I am 23 and I am on my dad policy, he already paid for this year, but if he ACA is repealed can his insurance kick me off? He does not have insurance on the exchange his is from his employer. I'm not sure how the exchange works, if people pay monthly or for the year up front...but what will they do with everyone on a plan currently? I thought health insurance companies plan for their years in the spring so people have policies to buy before January 1st. If it gets repealed with a replacement I just feel like it would be a mess for this year due to policies being in place already.

I know there's tons of post on this, but I can't seem to find the answer to that question. Maybe it's buried, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 01:31 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
I'm sure something will be worked out and something will replace it. Even if not though, now all those who have insurance now can lose it like very many did when the ACA passed. What goes around comes around.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:32 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,249 times
my guess is that they'll stay in place if you want to keep them but companies will create and market new strategies to meet the varying needs of the consumers that may be cheaper

Old 01-11-2017, 01:33 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
You're good for this year. You have a contract and insurers will have to honor it no matter what. Next year, though, ???

Old 01-11-2017, 01:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
People who have ACA plans I assume will still be covered for the term of their insurance. If they want to cease insuring a holder they will not offer a renewal option when it ends.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
How about "If you like your policy, you can keep your policy"? Oh, that's right... that lie belongs in the past.

How about you find a policy that *you* can pay for?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You're good for this year. You have a contract and insurers will have to honor it no matter what. Next year, though, ???
Thank you! I had a hard time finding an answer because my dad health insurance is through his work and not the exchange so he doesn't have health care for the ACA. I can just stay because of the clause of be 26.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:43 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
A policy is basically a contract.. So, at least until next November, which is when most renew.. Should be fine.

I don't see the 'under 26' going away regardless. People like that and would hang the insurers if they tried.

Pre-existing conditions.. That genie is pretty much out of the bottle now.. People who are insured, they can't go back and claim a pre-existing i wouldn't think

So.. Even if it were blown up with no replacement whatsoever for longer than 11 months.. I don't think it would be a meltdown.

Now.. If people had to pay for their own policies.. That could un-insure alot of people.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Thank you! I had a hard time finding an answer because my dad health insurance is through his work and not the exchange so he doesn't have health care for the ACA. I can just stay because of the clause of be 26.
The straight answer is that "Nobody knows." It's just an idea at this point, they haven't gotten around to the details.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
A policy is basically a contract.. So, at least until next November, which is when most renew.. Should be fine.

I don't see the 'under 26' going away regardless. People like that and would hang the insurers if they tried.

Pre-existing conditions.. That genie is pretty much out of the bottle now.. People who are insured, they can't go back and claim a pre-existing i wouldn't think

So.. Even if it were blown up with no replacement whatsoever for longer than 11 months.. I don't think it would be a meltdown.

Now.. If people had to pay for their own policies.. That could un-insure alot of people.
Thank you. My dad policy renews through his works January 1st. They said I am on the policy until the end of the year and next year would be the issue. They said since they are employer health and my dad pays a good chuck of money they may let me stay even if it's not required as long as my dad wants to to keep paying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies