Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:17 PM

45,460 posts, read 60,680,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
This seems like it could be fixed in the home. For example, if parents pushed for excellence then can't we reverse the trends.
If the parents give a **** or even know how and give a ****.

Look back at the school I taught in. We still had kids coming who got their only meals at school. Who didn't have clean clothes. Whose parents were raging alcoholics. I had a parent conference one time where Mom passed out and Dad was totally incoherent. The reason for the conference was because son had been caught with a fifth of Jack in his backpack and it was the school's fault.

Then you get the schools where five year olds are still in diapers and don't know their real names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 PM

89,081 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
This seems like it could be fixed in the home. For example, if parents pushed for excellence then can't we reverse the trends.
Not in our country's public schools. So that's 6 or 7 hours/day, 5 days/week. The goal isn't academic excellence or even the training of the mind. It's equal outcomes. And by definition, the majority can only achieve at a below average level.

So... half above average and half below. Pull down the top and most will be below average. Equal outcomes.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:54 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,291,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I don't see many Foreign borns in my industry. I'm an Aerospace Engineer in the Defense industry and most all the younger Engineers are American born. Many are bright but the sense of entitlement is high in this group.
don't you need security clearance? that maybe the reason

Old 01-13-2017, 09:09 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,688,272 times
He's not an economist.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:33 PM

421 posts, read 205,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If the parents give a **** or even know how and give a ****.

Look back at the school I taught in. We still had kids coming who got their only meals at school. Who didn't have clean clothes. Whose parents were raging alcoholics. I had a parent conference one time where Mom passed out and Dad was totally incoherent. The reason for the conference was because son had been caught with a fifth of Jack in his backpack and it was the school's fault.

Then you get the schools where five year olds are still in diapers and don't know their real names.
Products of Obama parents/Obama households, no doubt

Probably spent their Obama welfare on daycare and never even raised or potty-trained these feral mouth-drooling children

Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 PM

435 posts, read 431,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not in our country's public schools. So that's 6 or 7 hours/day, 5 days/week. The goal isn't academic excellence or even the training of the mind. It's equal outcomes. And by definition, the majority can only achieve at a below average level.

So... half above average and half below. Pull down the top and most will be below average. Equal outcomes.
So I finally had time to read the entire article as my kids are now in bed. Thank you for redirecting me to it.

I found it helpful because it did offer some solutions:

1. Insist your child reads good literature and more of it. This I believe can be accomplished outside of school as needed.
2. Have your child focus on history, reading and mathematics classes in high school. My niece goes to Lane Tech (well regarded in Chicago) and is taking a bunch of classes that seemed superfluous to me, like Fashion.
3. Get your child into a school system that offers "tracks" and AP courses.
4. Attract better teaching talent - this one seems much more difficult to do anything about. Teacher unions are good for some reasons, bad for others. It is sad because I graduated in the 1990's and the bright kids in my class were not going into education. That was for the B/C students. There are absolutely some brilliant teachers out there, no doubt about it. It is just that the prestige of teaching, especially for smart women, is long gone.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:43 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,965,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
We are pretty dumb at math actually.
Not true at all
I know many people with advanced math skills including myself but it always comes down to cost vs skills

A lot of Americans know Advanced Calculus and Differential Equations as an intro to higher level math courses

Old 01-13-2017, 10:49 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,965,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, sadly, it's actually true:

U.S. millennials post 'abysmal' scores in tech, math, thinking ability, and worplace skills test, lag behind foreign peers:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

Our country's dumbed down public school system, in which excelling is bad and considered elitist, and equal outcomes has been the goal for 5 decades, has destroyed the very fabric of our country's society.

If you want more info on why and how this has been allowed to happen, I'll post it.
Not true

Despite the Corporate Media, there are many Americans I have come across not in technical fields that can recall many mathematical formulas and concepts. I am pretty sure I could woop your ass in math

Want to take me on in calculus based physics or biology?

Old 01-13-2017, 10:54 PM

89,081 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Not true
LOLing at you thinking the results of the OECD's PIAAC international testing are "not true."

Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 PM

435 posts, read 431,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Not true

Despite the Corporate Media, there are many Americans I have come across not in technical fields that can recall many mathematical formulas and concepts. I am pretty sure I could woop your ass in math

Want to take me on in calculus based physics or biology?
I don't know if he will take you on in math, but I am pretty sure he could take you on in English. lol

In sincerity, can you provide some data to back up your statement? For example, today I was at my child's pediatrician and he literally was trying to explain percentiles to me. "Your son is in the 95th percentile in height, that means...." Personally, I didn't need the explanation and when I looked at him like he was an idiot for explaining what a percentile was, he then went on to explain how many people do not understand the concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies