Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:34 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Just because MLK got caught in bed with 2 white prostitutes and had children out of wedlock.... doesn't mean he did it because he was black.

So....... he did it because the Prostitutes had "white privilege" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 04:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Will appreciate any thoughtviews, thanks & respect.
How about following his most famous quote "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Our country is going backward with regard to this quote. Most of our leaders, and especially Obama, don't even try to follow King's dream. Today, almost everything our government does is just the opposite of his dream and instead insists on judging people by the color of their skin.

We have government programs that REQUIRE us to judge by the color of one's skin. We have Congressional organizations that REQUIRE a congressperson to have a certain color of skin. And on and on and on.....

Old 01-14-2017, 04:45 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Numerous is an understatement. It's mandatory that there is one in every major city. They relatively recently changed the name of a major thoroughfare in my city to be named for MLK, which was before named for JFK.
Time will cure this problem. In a few years we will have monuments everwhere honoring the soon to be former POTUS. Mt Rushmore will be the goal.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:45 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Just because MLK got caught in bed with 2 white prostitutes and had children out of wedlock.... doesn't mean he did it because he was black.
Malcolm X would have brained him for that. Study both to note the difference between Marxism and an ideology that would have helped blacks.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:15 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
What is a suitable way to honor Dr. King? It's probably not even possible. Consider his life? His words? His sacrifice? ...

Honestly, I don't know how, although I have the desire to do so. Knowing Dr. King appreciated history, I think it's crucial to get the history straight.

Will appreciate any thoughtviews, thanks & respect.
One of the best ways we can do this is how we live. We have monuments to him, streets, and a couple type named for him (Seattle is located there). What matters even more is how we live. We have made progress. We still have progress that needs to be made.

Example. I'm in the Atlanta area. I know a few Black men who are married to White women. I myself as a Black man have made many friends who happen to be White women. 50, 60 years ago, this would not be likely where I live. One of the big fears the KKK had towards integration was Black boys being in classrooms with White girls. Alot of things I do, places I hang out at, people I have hung out with, this would have been a no no in 1955.

There are opportunities open to me today that would have been closed to me 60 years ago. No "Black" or "White" signs. We all sit where we want, eat where we want, travel and live where we want to live. It's up to all of us to work hard to keep that reality alive. It is up to us to never give up, to understand what Dr. King's dream was about. We can go out and vote, know more about the politicians. Jim Crow is dead. Let us keep it that way.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:43 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Malcolm X would have brained him for that. Study both to note the difference between Marxism and an ideology that would have helped blacks.
Well, Dr. King did more to get Jim Crow laws dismantled than Malcolm X did.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, Dr. King did more to get Jim Crow laws dismantled than Malcolm X did.
Meh...they all love Malcolm X now. Back in his day, he scared the hell out of them.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:36 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One of the best ways we can do this is how we live. We have monuments to him, streets, and a couple type named for him (Seattle is located there). What matters even more is how we live. We have made progress. We still have progress that needs to be made.

Example. I'm in the Atlanta area. I know a few Black men who are married to White women. I myself as a Black man have made many friends who happen to be White women. 50, 60 years ago, this would not be likely where I live. One of the big fears the KKK had towards integration was Black boys being in classrooms with White girls. Alot of things I do, places I hang out at, people I have hung out with, this would have been a no no in 1955.

There are opportunities open to me today that would have been closed to me 60 years ago. No "Black" or "White" signs. We all sit where we want, eat where we want, travel and live where we want to live. It's up to all of us to work hard to keep that reality alive. It is up to us to never give up, to understand what Dr. King's dream was about. We can go out and vote, know more about the politicians. Jim Crow is dead. Let us keep it that way.
Thanks & respect for your thoughtful (generously full of thoughtviews) response, much appreciated . Agree wholeheartedly especially with your 1st sentence, "One of the best ways we can do this is how we live." Also probably the most difficult or challenging way to honor Dr. King. As the saying goes, often used in a different context however relevant here as well, "The Stone Age didn't end because we ran out stones."

Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
We honor Dr. King by taking a day off work of course.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:20 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
We honor Dr. King by taking a day off work of course.
I too am glad to honor him by having off from work also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies