Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 03:30 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

One reason a Trump presidency excites me is the amazing potential for entertainment.

Crude as that entertainment may be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I am going to try and re-address your statement. I think the very beginning of your sentence didn't sit well. As I see it, if you're part of the BLM crowd, burning down businesses of blacks, whites, Asians ect..., calling police officers, "pigs in a blanket, fry them like bacon." Calling to beat up, kill white people. Protesting over things they themselves don't want to change, then you are the black person, people are talking about. Along with Al Sharpton types, those not willing to find a solution, because chaos pays, more than peace.
Somehow saying I am holding people accountable for the behavior of others means I am a looting cop hater. Wow! This is the exact problem we have right now, you are lumped in by default. As a result of none of your own actions. You just did exactly what you are complaining about me saying I would do!

Quote:
You may want to take a better look at your officials. Not sure how old you are, but Oakland at one time was a nice place were blacks and whites lived together and got along. Not sure what happened there, the same as Long Beach, use to be a nice area.......the crime has even extended to San Francisco, & Sacramento, which, 2 other cities that are not like they use to be. Crime seems to follow the Democrats who run the cities or is it beyond their control.....I really don't know
Maybe you should do more research. Black people didn't really get to live side by side all that much in Oakland in the 40s, 50s, 60s. It was very segregated. And then in the 60s and 70s government sponsored redevelopment killed black businesses and neighborhoods (ahem West Oakland and the Fillmore).

All though the news is happy to paint Oakland as a super segregated hellhole, in reality the city is really diverse (generally, even though that has started to change in the past 5 years), there is no ethnic majority. And there are mixed neighborhoods where different ethnic groups live side by side at all income levels. I happen to live in one of the more well-off ones.

San Francisco has always had crime, but focusing on Oakland crime made it easy to bury. Areas like Hunters Point and the Bayview have lots of violent street crime and the Tenderloin has lots of drug crime.

Crime follows lack of economic opportunity - in red and blue states. We only want to talk about it when it reinforces our ideas about deviant people of color. Notice how the dialogue about the problems of drug abuse have change as it has impacted more white people who formerly had good access to economic opportunity. Today we are focused on treatment not jail. That wasn't the case during the war on drugs.

Quote:
Possibly, you can answer this; Which cities, did President Obama visit when he was in charge? Those whole 8 yrs, what did he do to take the burden off of you and others like you? What did your Oakland Mayor do or is doing to help?
I come out for my local elections and am very involved in my community. While I am not super happy with our current mayor, I don't think she is as bad as the previous one and I hope her legacy will be smart hires who have the autonomy to get things done.

Oakland has improved in the 12 years I have lived here for the most part. Downtown went from a ghost town to a nightlife district. I might even be able to find a job in my industry in walking distance of home in the next couple of years too. Our county has it in more money for transit and bike lanes so my commute is easier ans bus service is more frequent. I am getting close to giving up my car.

To be perfectly honest, my life most likely won't change a whole lot under a Trump presidency. My company may tweak its business strategy a bit. I'll probably get an undeserved federal tax break because it seems like Trump wants to "reward" high income earners.

My post was mostly facetious. Black people are already expected to,have hive mine. Per Trump we all live in the inner city, are on welfare and worry about getting shot on the way to the grocery store. The Mexicans are illegals or illegals and criminals.

What happened after this election was the smug progressives realized that they couldn't be progressive if they didn't do the hard work of talking to their family with opposing views and understand those views. Those who felt safe and secure in their liberal bubble are feeling some of the uncertainty that many of us who are "different" feel on a regular basis - even within the liberal bubble. I hope it is also a lesson that politics is local and you need to,show up for your local elections and the midterms. There is no way to take over at the national stage if you don't have a bench of supporters. If people are serious. Then they will be organizing at the local level ans stay involved through 2020 on doing the hard work of building a base.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:19 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Oh you mean when I had to go to separate bathrooms, doorways, bus seats, library, school, and drinking fountains. Great time that was.

So your 70 years old?? I'm just slightly younger........

Old 01-15-2017, 09:30 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
I went to a school that was mostly white and had lots of fights. The fights marched the school's demographics, but the punishments did not. Our justice system at every level punishes black students ,ore hash,y than their white peers for the same offenses. Why is that? How did it start?

Hormones and fighting go hand and hand. Most fights at school are not that serious. They should be resolved in a way that encourages kids to learn how to control their tempers and keep them engaged in school. This appoach doesn't solve for the root cause and causes more problems later. Do you know that five year olds are being suspended from school, and preschoolers. Toddlers are brats and hardly know what good behavior is. How on earth is suspension and appropriate punishment.

Why Preschool Suspensions Still Happen (And How To Stop Them) : NPR Ed : NPR

Because more and more the Schools have to play the part of Parent. Parents either have no time or do not care.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:37 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
The only one talking about 150 years ago is you. There are plenty of things to talk about right now.

Why don't you step in and explain this new statute in Missouri charging kids with felonies for school fights.

https://thinkprogress.org/missouri-s...242#.kfduyv4d4
Is that ALL kids or just black kids?

Old 01-15-2017, 09:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Is that ALL kids or just black kids?
It's "all kids" but as we all know discipline can vary greatly for the same offenses. It happened when I was a student and it is happening now. It is well studied that teachers tend to rate the behavior if black students more harshly.

One of many studies:
Teachers more likely to label black students as troublemakers, Stanford research shows

More:
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown...al-punishment/

Old 01-15-2017, 09:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Possibly not. But you can be held accountable for everything other white people and be expected to be the voice of white people.
Could a Black person ever understand the complexities of being White? Is being White even a complex paradigm?

Old 01-15-2017, 09:57 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
This is a really good time for white people to feel the way black people do. I am going to hold Trump responsible and accountable for everything all white people do, all things republicans do and all things republican politicians do and say.

It is going to be awesome. Just like it is for black people to have to answer for all black people.
Whatever floats your boat, I'm going to move to the coast and enjoy life.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Jim Crow's probably not coming back, but more subtle racism could certainly creep back in. His endorsement of stop-and-frisk, for example.
Creep back in?

Sorry, but it never left. They just don't tell it to your face.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:13 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
OK ...........and can you start off explaining what a "presudency" is ? Maybe Trump does have one and I might have also but I put it to sleep out of kindness. maybe I just grabbed it, not sure Do it for the poorly educated if you please.
I'm going tp go out on the uneducated limb and assume it was a type-o I'm sure the flight of eagles was not interrupted in the process.
Whoa...you're going to tp what?

Can I go with? Pleeease?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies