Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:19 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Paid their debt to society? How about paying back for all the free room and board, MEDICAL CARE, clothing, transportation, recreational activities in the yard while they were incarcerated?
Most people with crimes on their record didn't serve any time in jail or prison. There are lots of people with crimes such as DUI or from getting into fights when they were younger or possession of pot or alcohol, etc. Most go to court and pay a fine.

Even people with felonies don't automatically do jail time. Some of them pay fines or get probation. There are DUI felonies and trespassing can be a felony in some states.

Being convicted doesn't mean they did time in jail. It just means they were guilty of a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
How could that access restriction be enforced? After all, think about those websites that to enter you have to "certify" that you are at least a certain age - how is that enforceable?
With cookies. No cookie, no access to the forms behind the verification step. The cookie stores the response. This is the best way to just discourage them from applying in the first place, because doing so will only waste your valuable time/resources. So put the threat of a financial penalty, one they have voluntarily agreed to be subject to, in front of the entire website, which protects ALL of your online resources, not just the application form/process.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:04 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Venn Diagram; people who want to make it almost impossible for people convicted of a crime to get a job, people who use recidivism rates as reasons for tougher penalties, and people who complain about what it costs to house and try people convicted of crimes.

The people in the center of that diagram are stupid or they are jackasses.
Don't be like them.
again

Old 04-20-2018, 12:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
That is just on the application, upon an offer, they will run a background check and if a criminal background is revealed, and they do not hire based upon such activities, the candidate's offer will be rescinded and just will go on to the next candidate.

So this is just more feel good government at work, but will do nothing it is intended to do.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Instead of imposing regulations on businesses, the government should allow those who've served their sentences and paid their debt to society to more easily expunge their records so that CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants (not illegals) can legally say they're not a convict and it won't show up on background checks.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:14 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That is just on the application, upon an offer, they will run a background check and if a criminal background is revealed, and they do not hire based upon such activities, the candidate's offer will be rescinded and just will go on to the next candidate.

So this is just more feel good government at work, but will do nothing it is intended to do.
I think it depends on the job. If employers have the ability to screen because applicants are "forced" to indicate whether they have any kind of felonies or be fired after being hired, many people won't even get a chance for an interview.

However, if a person is interviewed for a low level job that involves to risk to the employer's property (or cash) or to a co-worker, an employer might just take a chance on someone who admits that they have a felony record, but can manage to convince the interviewer that he or she "learned a lesson" and is determined not to repeat prior mistakes.

Btw, that exact scenario happened to a young person at my place of employment, and he was hired and then promoted to management a little over a year later after he started with the company.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:13 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think it depends on the job. If employers have the ability to screen because applicants are "forced" to indicate whether they have any kind of felonies or be fired after being hired, many people won't even get a chance for an interview.

However, if a person is interviewed for a low level job that involves to risk to the employer's property (or cash) or to a co-worker, an employer might just take a chance on someone who admits that they have a felony record, but can manage to convince the interviewer that he or she "learned a lesson" and is determined not to repeat prior mistakes.

Btw, that exact scenario happened to a young person at my place of employment, and he was hired and then promoted to management a little over a year later after he started with the company.
Ex cons shouldn’t be a protected class . The employer is the one that will be paying their paycheck and suffering any possible liability of hiring them . They be able to screen out people with a criminal background off the bat if they want .

The whole thing is deceptive . It also does put coworkers at risk too . Personally I wouldn’t want to work with a bunch of ex cons .

Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Ex cons shouldn’t be a protected class . The employer is the one that will be paying their paycheck and suffering any possible liability of hiring them . They be able to screen out people with a criminal background off the bat if they want .

The whole thing is deceptive . It also does put coworkers at risk too . Personally I wouldn’t want to work with a bunch of ex cons .
Well, this is what I have to consider. Yes, I believe in this adage: "You do the crime, you do the time". If you commit a crime, you go to prison. You do the time. You should go to prison if you commit a crime.

On the other hand, you can't keep a criminal in prison for the rest of his/her life unless rape, treason, and murder were involved. Said persons are going to get out of prison soon. They are going to be back in society. One thing said persons will need are jobs. One of the reasons for high recidivism rates is the inability to get a job. It isn't the only reason, but it is a contributing factor. Many people who can't get jobs go back to what they know, which is crime. And thus, back to prison.

Yes, companies do have to consider liability. It is a risk. I am also adding that not being able to get a job once out of prison can be a big problem. Ex cons have to go back into society sometime. If the idea is to not hire ex-cons, we might as well make life sentences for even small crimes. And that will mean building more prisons. We have crime problems, prison overcrowding problems, and joblessness problems.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:59 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Interesting posts, I am curious do these ban the box laws have any teeth in practice. I know that CA has banned the box for public agencies such as municipality jobs since 2014. Yet I noticed on job applications in a number of cities including city of Oceanside they still have pages of "boxes" asking extensive criminal and even non criminal violation history or for anything aside from a traffic violation and warn of dire consequences should one fail to disclose. And no this wasn't even for a more sensitive position such as police officer or city sponsored childcare related program. But for pretty standard municipal job offer i.e janitorial, custodial, maintenance worker, organizer clerk of files or books, technicians, etc.

I am curious are these "boxes" or pages of criminal history questions covered by ban the box laws? If not what is?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:29 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
DH and I've used the Pennsylvania Magisterial Criminal Court Check to get background on anyone wanting to go out with our daughters. If a record turned up, summary or misdemeanor, it was bye bye Jack. They weren't getting in anyone's car who had a questionable driving record, either.

Oldest's DH was squeaky clean, but it really helped youngest dodge a bullet.

It's easy to look up backgrounds on your own.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-24-2018 at 02:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies