Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:12 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I'm a Trump supporter, but this wall is a bad idea. We are better off with fencing and high tech border controls.
A liberal loon may be president again and take down a fence. Not so easy with a wall. The Great Wall of Trump is what we need. It should have a monument to those who lost their lives at the hands of illegals.

Make it a monument and it can't be torn down by some thumb sucking liberal globalist future president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
I just heard Haley Barbour 10 minutes ago say "a wall is not the answer."

No one on this planet can call him a liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
A liberal loon may be president again and take down a fence. Not so easy with a wall. The Great Wall of Trump is what we need. It should have a monument to those who lost their lives at the hands of illegals.

Make it a monument and it can't be torn down by some thumb sucking liberal globalist future president.
...and that's happened when?

Old 01-26-2017, 05:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Honestly - a structural engineer did an analysis of why this wall is implausible.

An Engineer Explains Why Trump's Wall Is So Implausible

Quote:
The challenge of Trump’s border wall is not technical, but logistical. The leap in complexity between “building a wall” and “building a 2,000-mile-long continuous border wall in the desert” is about equal to the gap between “killing a guy” and “waging a protracted land war.” Trump’s border wall, if built as he has described it, would be one of the largest civil works projects in the history of the country and would face an array of challenges not found when constructing 95-story skyscrapers.
It's not impossible, but it is pretty unlikely that he can gather the will and the materials to actually build this.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:30 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Hate to break it to you, but Gump's monument to bigotry won't be close to completed by the time his presidency ends, and that's assuming he gets two terms.

The planning and logistics alone (not to mention securing the land) will take years. Building hundreds of roads into the middle of the desert, along with hundreds of little colonies for the workers/cooks/cleaners/security/etc, will take several years as well.

That $15 billion price tag is the most comical estimate I've read in a long time. Apple is currently finishing construction on a campus in Cupertino, and that thing is costing them $5 billion lol.

Whoever follows Gump will likely cancel the whole thing. The majority of Americans already oppose this stupid idea, and they'll be absolutely furious when they see how much they've spent for a wall that's only 15% completed, if that.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:28 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Trump has explained that it will be a mix of wall, patrols and electronic surveillance. The Secure Fence Act was passed in 2006: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr6061 Trump is listening to experts and listening: Border Patrol Agents' Union Confers With Trump On Securing The Border : NPR

I, frankly, don't care how they stop the illegal aliens from coming in. Whatever it takes to get the job done and get them off of my back as a taxpayer and make our country safer.
Many of the Google 'Earth' pictures date back several years. But, even with those old pictures you can spot 'problem' areas and areas that nobody, in their right mind (other than very hardy survivalist) will attempt to cross.

To me it isn't as mush as getting them off my back (although I really don't want more baggage). It is more the damage they do to the system. Jobs are based on supply and demand and the more 'cheap' labor; the less employers pay to those left standing. Then we have the drugs, the lack of incentive to integrate into our society, and the criminal element that they bring in - it is unacceptable. The idea of sanctuary cities flies in the face of all that believe in our legal system. We, Trump hopefully, will correct all of these problems.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Jobs are based on supply and demand and the more 'cheap' labor; the less employers pay to those left standing.
This is a myth. If you really believe that illegal immigrants from Mexico are taking jobs away from American citizens, why not target their employers instead of spending billions on a wall?

It's estimated that over half of the farmhands in the U.S. are illegal immigrants. Do you know anyone who wants that job? I don't. There is already a shortage of farm workers, so if all of these people are deported, it will not only hurt farmers, but there will be a dramatic increase in the price of U.S. produce.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:01 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This is a myth. If you really believe that illegal immigrants from Mexico are taking jobs away from American citizens, why not target their employers instead of spending billions on a wall?

It's estimated that over half of the farmhands in the U.S. are illegal immigrants. Do you know anyone who wants that job? I don't. There is already a shortage of farm workers, so if all of these people are deported, it will not only hurt farmers, but there will be a dramatic increase in the price of U.S. produce.

So illegals haven't flooded the construction, landscaping, hotel, restaurant jobs, etc? You don't get out much, do you? Why not target both the illegals and the employers. They are both equally guilty of breaking the law.

Only 2% of illegals are picking crops and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers. It's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work. So where's the shortage of workers for crop picking? Those who do hire illegal aliens aren't passing any savings on to we the consumer they are pocketing the profits. What they do pass on to the taxpayer is their enormous social costs. I suggest you educate yourself on this issue and at the very least learn respect the rule of law and why those laws are in place.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Why can't we just enforce E-verify. Tell me ??!!!!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I'm a Trump supporter, but this wall is a bad idea. We are better off with fencing and high tech border controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

To me, as a Trump supporter; we don't need the Great Wall of China for the entire border. As long as we maintain patrols, surveillance, and a presence in the very difficult areas; I do not think we need a wall.
It's a little late to be realizing this now. The Wall was a central selling point of his campaign and you voted for it. Now he's trying to look like the big **** and do what he said he was going to do. He's on the brink of starting a trade war with Mexico over it we'll all pay for that with increased prices of imported goods.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:47 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's a little late to be realizing this now. The Wall was a central selling point of his campaign and you voted for it. Now he's trying to look like the big **** and do what he said he was going to do. He's on the brink of starting a trade war with Mexico over it we'll all pay for that with increased prices of imported goods.
Not in a million years would I go back and change my vote. The Democrats still refuse to accept the reality of illegal immigration and terrorism problems.

We have checks and balances for a reason. I'm confident this is resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies