Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:22 PM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times

Advertisements

OP you got a link or just making this crap up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 12:26 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin
OP you got a link or just making this crap up?
So you admit that Nikki's statement is crappy.

Its all over the news, many sources.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nikk...y+taking+names

Old 01-27-2017, 12:27 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
ahh, gunboat diplomacy , that is what we called it when I was a kid learning history.

Britain and Germany used it . threatening those who refused to comply, so I guess history will write us as the bad guys?

I fully understand using it as a last resort, but Nikki Haley just skipped any diplomacy and went straight to threats .

When we were attacked on 9/11, the world rose up and supported us. NATO members offered help before we could even ask.

With Nikki, Rex , Trump I don't think anyone will be rushing to our aid in the same fashion. It is sad to see them set out to purposely dismantle and damage the institutions that have protected us so well.
We were pretty adept at using gunboat diplomacy in the early 20th century as well.

Teddy Roosevelt coined the phrase. Remember, "Walk softly and carry a big stick"?

Strength, and money talks, bs walks. Always has, always will. Problem we've had for the last eight years, was a steaming pile of bs was conducting our foreign policy. The world has simply been put on notice that that is no longer the case. More good, than harm will come from this.

CN

Old 01-27-2017, 12:27 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,809,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
So you admit that Nikki's statement is crappy.

Its all over the news, many sources.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nikk...y+taking+names
I watched it live to see the body language and hear the tone. It was odd. Don't know if that's
her or direction she was given from the Dear Leader.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:33 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
The new U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, pledged on Friday to overhaul the world body and warned U.S. allies that if they do not support Washington, then she is "taking names" and will respond.

Haley made brief remarks to reporters as she arrived at the world body's headquarters in New York to present her credentials to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
"Our goal with the administration is to show value at the U.N. and the way that we'll show value is to show our strength, show our voice, have the backs of our allies and make sure that our allies have our back as well," Haley said.
"For those that don't have our back, we're taking names, we will make points to respond to that accordingly,"

Is this real? I know she was considered to be a bit "out there" but really?

Haley wants to make the UN a with us or against US institution.

SO is this really just an attempt to break the UN, destabilize and balkanize it?
How about make it work as an institution for us when we provide more money than any other nation to keep it operating.

When is the left going to get tired of supporting our enemy's ?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:33 PM

25,587 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Good for her and good for Donald!

Everyone wants to trade with the US and then kick dirt on the US when the UN meets.
Typical is the UN climate change resolution is which a statement is made by Bangladesh and The Philippines concerning climate change, and then steps are proposed to that would hamstring America financially for causing such a monstrosity.
http://www.thecvf.org/un-human-right...limate-change/

Old 01-27-2017, 12:36 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
We were pretty adept at using gunboat diplomacy in the early 20th century as well.

Teddy Roosevelt coined the phrase. Remember, "Walk softly and carry a big stick"?

Strength, and money talks, bs walks. Always has, always will. Problem we've had for the last eight years, was a steaming pile of bs was conducting our foreign policy. The world has simply been put on notice that that is no longer the case. More good, than harm will come from this.

CN
If you believe the world is our enemy, then you are right.

i can tell you ,much of the world would rather just be friends, but threaten them and they have no choice but to withdraw,

threats should be made only when required. I don't tell my kids go to bed or else. I say "hey bedtime" if they refuse, whine they we could consider a threat. I mostly don't , but then it would make sense if that was my style...

Old 01-27-2017, 12:36 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post

CN

It's actually "Speak softly and carry a big stick", something the current administration's a miserable failure at and likely no good will come of it unless you believe making us appear as if led by a braying jackass is a good thing..

Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Good for her and good for Donald!

Everyone wants to trade with the US and then kick dirt on the US when the UN meets.

That's ONE vote for pre-emptive dirt-kicking.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's ONE vote for pre-emptive dirt-kicking.
As I said when 9/11 happened the world rallied to help us. Germans , Turkish , British etc. Will they feel the same way if it happens again?

Will they allow us to access their air space if we are combative during peace time.

You might think we rule the world, we don't. What we do have is a large standing army and a very powerful economy. But our weapons are useless without someplace to refuel service etc.

preemptive dirt kicking , loses allies. Doubt me, try it in your real life, see how many people you can bully into being helpful and friendly..

China knows this, they have the long game down pat. Trump is acting like there is no tomorrow he is acting as if it is a game that ends with his term. What he is doing does long term damage, and you know it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies