Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
There are a lot of people that have a "zippo network". They didn't go to Haaaavard or their Daddy didn't play golf with the Bushes! They went to Hard Luck Community College and Cheap State College, where the better-off alumni send $25 a year instead of $25 million. Their boss at Starbuck's might be willing to write a note about their hard work and great attendance record tho'!
My kids went to Big Ten schools. 13 of the 14 Big Ten schools are state universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 03:07 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
We are in that territory. Crap.

...I think going forward we'll just hire experts. We're both tech people, definitely not accountant material. -_-
Funny. We are both programmers, and I find doing my own taxes and estimates easy. All you need is to know basic math and be able to decipher IRS lingo. The latter part can be tough, but you can read up on this online.

Hire an accountant to do your taxes, if you have to, but you need to understand yourself how your bonus/raise affects your tax liability.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You owe $15K in taxes and don't think you'll be able to retire... Something's not adding up...

No HSA account to use as a tax shelter and lower your taxable income? No access to regular IRAs to lower your taxable income? No 401k account at your company or even a simple IRA if you're self-employed?

How is it possible to earn enough to owe $15k on top of what you've already paid, yet not max out all the tax-deferred accounts you can?
We've maxed out all those accounts.

As for saving enough up for retirement, I'm only in my 20s. I can't predict future setbacks that could send all hopes of retirement crumbling.

I am a perennial pessimist though.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
My kids went to Big Ten schools. 13 of the 14 Big Ten schools are state universities.
Good for them! But not everyone is so fortunate!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:09 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
If they have to pay $7K [/i] after[/i] a year of zero deductions then they are making some serious money.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:11 PM

533 posts, read 643,130 times
Quote:
For my W-4, I claimed 0 and stated that I'm married filing jointly.

I got a promotion/raise and a bonus during the year and was told by various sources that I didn't need to change my W-4.

I'm not an accountant for a reason.
My wife and I choose "Married but withhold at the higher single rate" on our W-4 and we always get a refund (we file our taxes jointly). Either your withheld amount is low or you are not using your deductions properly. Like someone suggested earlier, look at your effective tax rate after you are done with your taxes. If it is low, you are just paying more now versus earlier in the year.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:

As for saving enough up for retirement, I'm only in my 20s. I can't predict future setbacks that could send all hopes of retirement crumbling.

A perennial pessimist with money in the bank, is better off than the gleeful optimist living paycheck to paycheck! You just might be a practical realist!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:18 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:

You've shared what you owe -- might as well share your effective tax rate. B/c if you've maxed out all these tax-deferred accounts, and still owe $15k, I'm guessing you're not going to get much sympathy once we see that rate...

Old 01-27-2017, 03:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You've shared what you owe -- might as well share your effective tax rate. B/c if you've maxed out all these tax-deferred accounts, and still owe $15k, I'm guessing you're not going to get much sympathy once we see that rate...
I think I've shared enough. This thread was just a rant anyway.

I do acknowledge that my knowledge on all the ins and outs of taxes is not up to par, and is something I (and my spouse) need to brush up on.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:36 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
OP, if you are claiming 0 and filing jointly, I think there is something wrong. You might want someone to look over your tax documents.

Did you have a lot of capital gains or something? That's the only thing I can think of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies