Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:47 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If you care so much about what other countries think, shouldn't you just move back and join them?
I suppose if you turned the clock back a couple hundred years you'd be complaining that the Founders cared too much about France (Jefferson) and the UK (Franklin and many others) and even the Dutch.

Our Founders - 100's of years ago - seemed way ahead of your present thinking.

Unlike you, they realized the USA was not an island and that having allies and preventing various problems in Europe (and elsewhere) was important to us.

The America you seem to reflect upon - never existed except partially in the tale of Davy Crockett. Even then, if you checked out Davy's possessions you'd probably find a lot of imported goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 11:47 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,151,306 times
I do believe Trump has great potential to help this country. But he's burning bridges left and right, which is only going to leave us stranded and vulnerable.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
craigiri - I think Steve Bannon is what he says he is - a Leninist that desperately wants to tear down the existing system in order to create a perfect system based on his delusions. We should take him seriously. I also believe theat the Donald agrees with the first part but also assumes that the post Bannon politics will anoint The Donald as God/King/Emperor to rule the world in peace and prosperity. The Donald does not understand Mr. Bannon.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM

14,485 posts, read 11,297,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Huh? You're all over the place. And, without proper punctuation, your first sentence is unclear.
Never place a comma after the conjunction and.

Quote:
There ARE pro-choice crowds in other Western countries, all of which have universal healthcare. So, I don't know what your point is in your second sentence. However, not all left-leaning people are reflexively pro-choice (I'm not), and not all conservatives are reflexively pro-life.
I'm sorry you didn't understand what my point was.

Quote:
You don't get it, do you? By other Western countries' standards, the Trump regime, with Breitbart's Steve Bannon, etc, IS the extreme right. Do you not read international publications to find out what our allies are saying about us? Good grief, I wish you people would at least try to learn a different worldview.
Why would I care what Der Spiegel thinks. No matter who our president is, newspapers in Europe are going to fel-ate the Democrat and excoriate the Republican.

Quote:
As I keep saying, "right-wing" in other countries is nothing like right-wing in the US. You're nuts if you believe otherwise.
How is it different?

Old 02-01-2017, 01:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,851,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If you care so much about what other countries think, shouldn't you just move back and join them?
First, I'm not the one who began this thread. And, there are others on here who seem to care, too. Second, I think we should care what our ALLIES think of us, no?

Take the advice you guys routinely dish out: If you "snowflakes" are so offended by opposing viewpoints, maybe you should find your "safe spaces."

Old 02-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Never place a comma after the conjunction and.?
Thank you. Commas after coordinating conjunctions at the beginning of sentences are optional (kind of like the Oxford comma has become). It's largely stylistic, and probably an old-school practice. Sometimes I use them; sometimes I don't.

Quote:

How is it different?
If you need to ask...

Old 02-01-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
craigiri - I think Steve Bannon is what he says he is - a Leninist that desperately wants to tear down the existing system in order to create a perfect system based on his delusions. We should take him seriously. I also believe theat the Donald agrees with the first part but also assumes that the post Bannon politics will anoint The Donald as God/King/Emperor to rule the world in peace and prosperity. The Donald does not understand Mr. Bannon.
Bannon calls himself a Leninist?

Old 02-01-2017, 01:48 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,607,257 times
Quote:
You're clueless.

"Leave" votes in the Brexit referendum notwithstanding, British conservatives are NOTHING like Trumpsters. They take for granted universal healthcare and more vacation time, for example, the very notions of which Puritanical American conservatives consider heresy.

My entire family on both sides are British immigrants, and I have relatives in the UK. Most of those family members are pretty darn conservative by British standards, but none of them even come close to supporting the ideology and policies of the American extreme right.

Um, yes, most Brits think Trump (and the American right wing, generally) is bat**** crazy).
Right. Just like all the polls that said Trump would not be nominated. Just like all the people who said the Brexit would not happen. And then there were all those people who said Kentucky and Georgia would go Hillary and Trump would not win one state. Keep making things up. I know that all of the people in the UK are not as dumb as the leftist fringe. France and Germany are next, BTW, just wait, watch, and see them dump the EU and the "refugees."

Old 02-01-2017, 02:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I do believe Trump has great potential to help this country. But he's burning bridges left and right, which is only going to leave us stranded and vulnerable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Trump is pursuing isolationism
Did it ever occur to you that Isolation is exactly what you need in order to take time be retrospective and get your House in order?

Quote:
Exactly. Like, what, there have to be public executions in order for a government/country to be considered "extreme right-wing" ?
Trump is many things, but right-wing he is not.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
What other countries have had Hillary Clinton as the other option?
Touche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
The EU has been a threat to the world since it was formed.
That's especially true if you live in the Southern Hemisphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
An "assertive China"? Am I a too outspoken negro too liberal? I don't recall China colonizing the UK, France, Italy, Spain, or the f---ing United States. But guess who did take their "assertive" a$&es around the globe, including into China swallowing up most the earth's land mass? That is not a matter of my subjective opinion but a matter of objective historical [and military] fact. More a fact then "intelligent alien life living on other planets and riding in to visit earth in UFO alien flying crafts."
Good point.

Unfortunately it will be lost on the ignorant masses who don't understand that their Standard of Living and Life-Style was built by standing on the backs of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies