Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:31 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I can't believe any of them would vote for this woman. She is a hot mess that doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground. All of them who vote yes should be ashamed of themselves.
Shame on you for forgetting that dufus Donald only hires winners!

This lady makes Palin look like a genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 03:32 PM

189 posts, read 110,783 times
Here is the information regarding her student loan ties (as well as Charter Schools)

"Education Secretary nominee Betsy DeVos and her husband*have extensive financial holdings through their private investment and management firm, RDV Corporation. The firm, where DeVos once served as director, has*financed real estate acquisitions, telecom companies and online charter schools, among other things. But one particular deal*is creating concern on Capitol Hill.

RDV*is affiliated with LMF WF Portfolio, a limited liability corporation listed in regulatory filings as one of several firms involved in a $147 million loan to Performant Financial Corp., a debt collection agency in business with the Education Department.

Twenty-three percent of Performant’s revenue is directly tied to its dealings*with the Education Department, which had*14 contracts worth more than $20 million with the company in fiscal 2016, according to regulatory filings and government documents. The company lost out on a recent contract bid with the department and is now protesting the decision with the Government Accountability Office, which can dismiss the dispute if the department*reverses course.
If confirmed as secretary, DeVos would be in a position to influence the award of debt collection, servicing and recovery contracts, in addition to*the oversight and monitoring of the contracts. She would also have the authority to revise payments and fees to contractors for rehabilitating past-due debt"

From The Washington Post 1/17/17

Old 02-01-2017, 03:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
This is not a simple competition issue. The problem is that it basically damages the public schools. It siphons off funding and removes the better students to the private schools.

We have had a voucher program passed in NV but blocked by the fact it used public school funding directly which was found unconstitutional. But we learned somethings. For instance more than half of the initial 5,000 applicants came from zip codes with higher than average incomes. The obvious message - most of those who were going to get a voucher were simply going to use the public funds to help them pay for a private education. And further the kids in bad schools were not big participants. So it was making things better for those who already had a good school.

So far here and most places the charters have done no better than the public schools. So it does not appear to be any good coming from them. There are good charters certainly...but they are not in the bad areas and do not appeal to the lower socioeconomic strata.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
[quote=steven_h;47042095]

Oh, and now they are the party of obstruction, the very thing they railed against. Trading Places come to life. Glad to know they hold to their principles rather than playing tit for tat and revenge games with the country.

Yep, they are absolutely obstructing, and I have to ask ............how does it feel ?????? Two can play this game, and it is wonderful to see the Democrats paying the GOP back for some of the s*** they pulled for the past 8 long years. I want to see more of it.

Now, as far as Betsy, she is without a doubt the worst possible pick for ANY position. I could not even bear to watch her being questioned, it was painful. I actually felt sorry for her, she was so out of her league and so unqualified or prepared to answer any of their questions. She had no clue whatsoever as to the requirements of the job, or a firm grasp on the direction she would take it.

The only saving Grace was that she lent some levity to this whole fiasco of a Presidency. God, she was bad !!!

Old 02-01-2017, 03:40 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
School choice is not the panacea either. Here in Arizona we have charter schools every other block. Charters are free (tax supported). We have open enrollment where you can send your kid to any school you want regardless of attendance boundaries. We have vouchers. We have people getting paid by the state to home school. There are schemes to send your kid to a religious school on the taxpayers dime. For all of that we have among the worst schools in America. It's about parents and cultural values placed on education (and in our case adequate funding to pay for teachers, materials, and classrooms).

Old 02-01-2017, 03:46 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you believe that all public schools are the exact same and no one is better than another?
No, of course not. The reason they work where I live now is that we pay well for them and the people where I live value and support them. I'm not even certain that ours will continue to excel in the future, as our state has enacted legislation that effectively made it much more difficult and expensive to retain experienced teachers.

As I said in my post, I know public schools aren't working everywhere and some districts desperately need reform. Figuring out how to reform them effectively is the key, and it has proven in cities like Milwaukee and Detroit to be far more complicated than simply increasing competition.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
This is not a simple competition issue. The problem is that it basically damages the public schools. It siphons off funding and removes the better students to the private schools.

We have had a voucher program passed in NV but blocked by the fact it used public school funding directly which was found unconstitutional. But we learned somethings. For instance more than half of the initial 5,000 applicants came from zip codes with higher than average incomes. The obvious message - most of those who were going to get a voucher were simply going to use the public funds to help them pay for a private education. And further the kids in bad schools were not big participants. So it was making things better for those who already had a good school.

So far here and most places the charters have done no better than the public schools. So it does not appear to be any good coming from them. There are good charters certainly...but they are not in the bad areas and do not appeal to the lower socioeconomic strata.
One of the reasons we moved from our last home was due to schools.

We were zoned to Spring ISD instead of Klein ISD. There was (and remains) a big difference between the two.

Not only was Spring a poorly rated district with underperforming schools, but the Klein schools were much closer.

With vouchers, I could have stayed in my house and taken my kids to the better Klein schools (where there were significantly less stabbings).

I was lucky enough to have the means to easily relocate, but that's not true of everyone.

Additionally, as a middle class person, I couldn't really manage to pay for private school, but if a voucher paid a good chunk of it, I could if I chose. Vouchers allow working parents who can't afford full private school tuition the ability to utilize one if they choose.

Most of the time, it would be allowing students with kids in a crappy district to attend a better one.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:07 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When two words are combined, it's like a chemical reaction in some liberal minds.

I'll carefully space them out to avoid heads exploding.

School

Wait
Wait
Wait for it

CHOICE

The "choice" is the catalyst.
I believe in school choice. But not at the cost of public schools.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:08 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Even more should be worried that a billionaire with no public school experience and a history of starting for profits needs to be dropped.

Follow the money. She is there to steal more from the public schools.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Apparently she donated to 10 out of the 11 Republican senators on the committee.
It seems like there should be a rule against selecting appointees if they've donated to campaigns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies