Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 09:03 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,351,977 times

Advertisements

Beyond our views of what America should stand for ... Is it not positive to maintain multiple communication channels - if only for strategic reasons? In other words, why risk unnecessarily p*issing folks off when you may need them in the future? If we're going to be involved in the Middle East at all - for business, government, military, even tourism - it's probably for the best that we not publicly signal religious distain. No argument that may not be intent of many. What matters though is how a message is processed by or propagandized to the potential recipient. If an Administration decides to limit or reduce visas, then DO it. Just quietly. The Middle East is a tough place. But it's also a proud place. Unforgiving.

Last edited by EveryLady; 02-04-2017 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 09:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,872,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
How interesting that said judge, in his free time does Pro-Bono work representing (illegal?) immigrants AND has (from the bench) shown support for BLM... No conflict of interest or bias here......
Nope, none at all...

Or maybe he is just a fair and compassionate Judge. We've lost the caring for one another we once had, and are cynical when someone, like this Judge, does good things for people who need a hand.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:43 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Fortunately, Gorsuch will be on the SCOTUS soon and these instances of judicial overreach will be corrected quickly.
If you think Justices Kennedy, Roberts, or Alito are going to let Trump run roughshod over the Constitution, you're going to be in for some surprises.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,957,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The Trump mouthpieces are shouting that this court ruling is outrageous and will be appealed. Trump referred to him as a "so-called judge". Has anyone ever heard a president show such disrespect and act in so low-class a manner?
No, but I never heard any other presidential candidate talk about the size of his (ahem) hands or tell people to watch a sex tape! I also never heard any U.S. president obsess about the crowd size at his inauguration. I never watched a U.S. president in interviews praise the leader of Russia either, and I've been around a long time.

Trump's attitude toward this judge should not be surprising. He claimed an American born U.S. District Court Judge couldn't be fair in his ruling because he had Mexican heritage.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,957,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I disagree. It broke when Obama phoned the PLO on his first day in office. Trump will separate the wheat from that chaff and remind us what being an American is. Time to wake up my fellow countrymen and women...time to face the sunshine.
You left out something. President Obama did call the Palestinian leader on his first day in office, but he also called the Israeli Prime Minister on the same day.

"He used this opportunity on his first day in office to communicate his commitment to active engagement in pursuit of Arab-Israeli peace from the beginning of his term, and to express his hope for their continued cooperation and leadership."

[URL="http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/may/08/chain-email/one-obamas-first-calls-was-palestinian-leader-and-/"]SOURCE[/URL]

Old 02-04-2017, 10:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The Trump mouthpieces are shouting that this court ruling is outrageous and will be appealed. Trump referred to him as a "so-called judge". Has anyone ever heard a president show such disrespect and act in so low-class a manner?

I think that despite their threat, this ruling may not be appealed. If an appeals court upheld the ruling, it would be a further bad mark against them. But beyond that, it might interfere with the confirmation of the Supreme Court Nominee. If those in congress are thinking that the confirmation would result in an immediate majority, that would overturn the ruling, that could give some motivation to resist. I think that the 8 justices, balanced more or less on the two sides, is ideal. They have to negotiate rulings on their merits, rather than by partisan politics.
Only when they are an accessory to the crime. aiding and abetting a criminal. Obstructing Justice. Hindering an Investigation.
......And since it is an invasion, it technically is treason, to the economic well being of the People that create this nation, knowing it is a privilege for them to be here as tourists.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,024,734 times
Merkel calls for accelerating deportation. I am assuming this is for election sake. Are we going to start seeing protests against her in all the cities?

Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Or maybe he is just a fair and compassionate Judge. We've lost the caring for one another we once had, and are cynical when someone, like this Judge, does good things for people who need a hand.

So, based upon emotions and not actual Constitutional Law. I get it.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 PM

10,000 posts, read 5,706,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Merkel calls for accelerating deportation. I am assuming this is for election sake. Are we going to start seeing protests against her in all the cities?
You probably will in Germany.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If you think Justices Kennedy, Roberts, or Alito are going to let Trump run roughshod over the Constitution, you're going to be in for some surprises.

Much less the new guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies