Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:52 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
1) half of that national debt was incurred by a President your generation put in office.
Obama was a baby boomer, so were Bush and Clinton.

Quote:
2) something that's been done since the 1930s. I'd like to hear what you'd say if it hadn't been done and we were in a permanent recession. That's not an endorsement of QE, just a recognition of why it has been done.
No, we had long periods of time between 1913 and 1980 without much monetary stimulus. Which is not just limited to QE, there are numerous ways to accomplish the goal of "banks lending more money loaned to them by the fed." Interest rates falling from ~20% to ~3% in 30 years fueled all sorts of different bubbles.

Under boomer leadership our gov't also encouraged FINRA to monkey around with the basic accounting rules that underpin our financial system, 'mark to make believe' i think they called it.

Your assertion that the only alternative was "permanent recession" is a fantasy. What is a permanent recession, anyway, did you just make it up?

Quote:
3) funnily enough, every time federal income taxes are lowered revenues go up. You knew that, right?
Wow, like magic. Then I guess we should put them at 0% and watch the money roll in.

As for the rest of your points, you seem to have a habit of making things up and then claiming I said them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 06:00 AM

45,484 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Obama was a baby boomer, so were Bush and Clinton.

No, we had long periods of time between 1913 and 1980 without much monetary stimulus. Which is not just limited to QE, there are numerous ways to accomplish the goal of "banks lending more money loaned to them by the fed." Interest rates falling from ~20% to ~3% in 30 years fueled all sorts of different bubbles.

Under boomer leadership our gov't also encouraged FINRA to monkey around with the basic accounting rules that underpin our financial system, 'mark to make believe' i think they called it.

Wow, like magic. Then I guess we should put them at 0% and watch the money roll in.

As for the rest of your points, you seem to have a habit of making things up and then claiming I said them.
I didn't say that if rates were zero money would come in, that's a meme people such as yourself claim when you oppose tax cuts.

As for me making stuff up, go back and review what you've said on various threads. I can't help it if you can't remember.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:09 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,231,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am siding with Katarina Witt on this one.

Woodrow Wilson didn't just "regurgitate information." He wrote history books, he philosophized, he tried to shape the future with his knowledge of the past, he constantly looked at ethics in the past, present, and future, etc...

He spent so much time trying to make the world safe for democracy, but not so much for blacks.

Ethics or moral philosophy can be very subjective. Now, my ethics more align with yours and I think that in a Democratic society we must set certain principles down as the "correct ethic." I am not a liberal multicultural relativist that will refuse to say slavery is evil, because it is all relative to the culture and you can't judge a culture, but there is a certain truth to the fact that ethics are subjective from individual to individual.

Yes, Jim Crow was wrong, but in the end, one could argue ethics is all subjective...and Wilson had his bigoted reasons.

You act as if Wilson didn't have any ethics, which couldn't be further from the truth. He constantly delved into ethics. He was very misguided.

If alive today he could look at our ethics and argue see I told you so...I was right, at least on international diplomacy.
You Said:
Woodrow Wilson didn't just "regurgitate information." He wrote history books, he philosophized, he tried to shape the future with his knowledge of the past, he constantly looked at ethics in the past, present, and future, etc...

The Ethic's I'm speaking about is those based on the Bibles premise of Gods Words (I know everyone many not regard that), and the Ethic's of the Constitution.

Those are the "truthful ethic's, not subjective to the contortions of man. One need only look at The Golden Rule", as well as the Constitutions statement of principle, "All men are created equal".

(we can find many people who wrote many things, trying to justify segregation and validity slavery, but that does not make it Ethically Right, not does it meet with the very words of this nations Constitution - thus so, I used the term "Generational Foolishness" to reference such malice in mindset and devise in racist based conduct)

The basis and outgrowth of what Wilson promoted was based on a flawed principle. That Flaw during slavery and post slavery, was to promote the fiction of his own vanity and haughtiness, to promote a falsehood that black people were not considered by white man to be even a person, as too, women were not considered to be a person, Both had to fight for "white man" to get out of the way and regard them as "persons" by the words of the Constitution, and Still some hold bias, bigotry, racism and feminist repulsion as attitudes that go against even the Golden Rule of Gods Premise for Mankind.

You said:
Yes, Jim Crow was wrong, but in the end, one could argue ethics is all subjective...and Wilson had his bigoted reasons.

The point and fact of his bigotry, was itself a denial of the basic truth of God's Ethics as well as a denial of The Constitutional premise of its Truth in Ethics. AMERICAN Democracy does not meet with its aim of Truth when it tries to filter itself through Racism or Gender Bias. It become a defeatist agenda, because Democracy is weakened and non functional in its aim of being a True Democracy, when it does not regard and respect full circle Equality of Mankind, be it black man/woman and white woman and others based on their ethnicity and/or gender.

It is True that Wilson was Racially Bias and Bigoted, but it is also True he was Gender Bias and Bigoted. He aspired to the "Generational Foolishness" I spoke of.

That Generational Foolishness, promoted discriminatory conduct that included slavery and women as being non persons, and disrespected to be considered as "A White Man's Property", or Owned by the White Man.

When fact is, they each were held hostage by the Avarice that lived in the heart of white man, to think himself to be greater than other God Created Mankind and abused black man/woman and white woman for his greed and his vain pleasure. He has and continues to pay for his sins in this very day. The wealth he sought becomes his albatross...his vice and ultimately his moral decline into UN-Godly manifestations within and of himself. He defiled his own claim of being Christian, as he sought to serve two masters, and he chose Evil and tried with money to buy and image of Good.

Men who came to meet with Ethic's within learning to stand against Generational Foolishness within Society met the Truth and moved forth with the passage of the Civil Rights Act. It did not abolish the vile in the hearts of some white men and women.

LBJ spoke of that as well... when he said, that the Laws could not remove the hate from the hearts of man, but only time could. We've not come to that time in this Democracy within all men.

Thus so, President Lyndon B. Johnson said:

Quote:
Our mission is at once the oldest and the most basic of this country: to right wrong, to do justice, to serve man.

In our time we have come to live with moments of great crisis. Our lives have been marked with debate about great issues; issues of war and peace, issues of prosperity and depression. But rarely in any time does an issue lay bare the secret heart of America itself. Rarely are we met with a challenge, not to our growth or abundance, our welfare or our security, but rather to the values and the purposes and the meaning of our beloved Nation.

The issue of equal rights for American Negroes is such an issue. And should we defeat every enemy, should we double our wealth and conquer the stars, and still be unequal to this issue, then we will have failed as a people and as a nation.

For with a country as with a person, “What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?”

There is no Negro problem. There is no Southern problem. There is no Northern problem. There is only an American problem. And we are met here tonight as Americans—not as Democrats or Republicans—we are met here as Americans to solve that problem.

This was the first nation in the history of the world to be founded with a purpose. The great phrases of that purpose still sound in every American heart, North and South: “All men are created equal”—“government by consent of the governed”—“give me liberty or give me death.” Well, those are not just clever words, or those are not just empty theories. In their name Americans have fought and died for two centuries, and tonight around the world they stand there as guardians of our liberty, risking their lives.
Thus so, I said:

Men who came to meet with Ethic's within learning to stand against Generational Foolishness within Society met the Truth and moved forth with the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

LBJ concluded his speech with these words.
Quote:
God will not favor everything that we do. It is rather our duty to divine His will. But I cannot help believing that He truly understands and that He really favors the undertaking that we begin here tonight.
Following this and still continuing to this day, is the work of black men/women and white women, for the full circle equality, to promote a premise of “All men are created equal” and improving ourselves and this nation as being a Democracy, to do that we must embrace what is "Equality Of and Among Mankind".

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Quote:
"This great American leader believed the nation's historic treatment of black Americans shamed the Constitution and threatened the very soul of his nation. Black Americans had endured the horror of slavery, the indignities of Jim Crow laws, and suffered unspeakable racial violence. As a believer in the concept of redemption, Dr. King had come to believe that White Americans had also been debased by the effects of white supremacist beliefs – therefore also in need of freedom from a debilitating system of racial apartheid.
Thus so, again I say:
"Men who came to meet with Ethic's within learning to stand against Generational Foolishness within Society met the Truth and moved forth with the passage of the Civil Rights Act. "

Last edited by Chance and Change; 06-02-2017 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 06:34 AM

25,856 posts, read 16,558,385 times
Apparently the OP is angry with it's babyboomer parents. Don't lump us all together.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:10 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,599,633 times
These generation-bashing threads are getting really tiresome.

Everyone was young once. Everyone who is fortunate enough will be old one day.

If I had to choose between being rich and being young, guess which one I would choose.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
These generation-bashing threads are getting really tiresome.

Everyone was young once. Everyone who is fortunate enough will be old one day.

If I had to choose between being rich and being young, guess which one I would choose.
What's inclusively interesting is, as we get older many of us look back, and "wish we had listened and taken heed of many things, which could have saved us for various predicaments and challenges".

No matter how it goes or comes, "we are connected" across many generations and money is nothing more than a tool that helps manage the provisions of convenience to sustain ourselves and engage our ideas and ideals.

When it's abused, or anything that is outside of what is good in essence and objective that it is used for, often times either makes a fool of such ones, or confounds him in questions of desperation, to get it, keep it, hoard it, protect it and some even become obsessed and their life is devoted to never having enough of it. it becomes to some the basis of their sense of self, and they become void in their soul. Some use it to taunt others, and seek to gain the endearment of others for it, by it, and through it, and over time and through life when ones life comes to an end... money is still here, and the cycles often continues for the individuals as it began for the individual. thus so, people will do well, to learn the place of money within ones life, long before age bring them to the fragile years, for is he can learn during his youth, he may be able to devote a life to using money for the betterment of mankind's conditions in the name and honor of Gods Graces. In doing such, he likely will find that, his needs are met, his company is desired and his presence is appreciated within the congregations of many, be it public or family.

Nobody, gets to take even a penny from this earth when their life term is up.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 06-02-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 PM

26,556 posts, read 15,122,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
You Said:

The Ethic's I'm speaking about is those based on the Bibles premise of Gods Words (I know everyone many not regard that), and the Ethic's of the Constitution.

Those are the "truthful ethic's, not subjective to the contortions of man. One need only look at The Golden Rule", as well as the Constitutions statement of principle, "All men are created equal".

(we can find many people who wrote many things, trying to justify segregation and validity slavery, but that does not make it Ethically Right, not does it meet with the very words of this nations Constitution - thus so, I used the term "Generational Foolishness" to reference such malice in mindset and devise in racist based conduct)

The basis and outgrowth of what Wilson promoted was based on a flawed principle. That Flaw during slavery and post slavery, was to promote the fiction of his own vanity and haughtiness, to promote a falsehood that black people were not considered by white man to be even a person, as too, women were not considered to be a person, Both had to fight for "white man" to get out of the way and regard them as "persons" by the words of the Constitution, and Still some hold bias, bigotry, racism and feminist repulsion as attitudes that go against even the Golden Rule of Gods Premise for Mankind.

You said:

The point and fact of his bigotry, was itself a denial of the basic truth of God's Ethics as well as a denial of The Constitutional premise of its Truth in Ethics. AMERICAN Democracy does not meet with its aim of Truth when it tries to filter itself through Racism or Gender Bias. It become a defeatist agenda, because Democracy is weakened and non functional in its aim of being a True Democracy, when it does not regard and respect full circle Equality of Mankind, be it black man/woman and white woman and others based on their ethnicity and/or gender.

It is True that Wilson was Racially Bias and Bigoted, but it is also True he was Gender Bias and Bigoted. He aspired to the "Generational Foolishness" I spoke of.

That Generational Foolishness, promoted discriminatory conduct that included slavery and women as being non persons, and disrespected to be considered as "A White Man's Property", or Owned by the White Man.

When fact is, they each were held hostage by the Avarice that lived in the heart of white man, to think himself to be greater than other God Created Mankind and abused black man/woman and white woman for his greed and his vain pleasure. He has and continues to pay for his sins in this very day. The wealth he sought becomes his albatross...his vice and ultimately his moral decline into UN-Godly manifestations within and of himself. He defiled his own claim of being Christian, as he sought to serve two masters, and he chose Evil and tried with money to buy and image of Good.

Men who came to meet with Ethic's within learning to stand against Generational Foolishness within Society met the Truth and moved forth with the passage of the Civil Rights Act. It did not abolish the vile in the hearts of some white men and women.

LBJ spoke of that as well... when he said, that the Laws could not remove the hate from the hearts of man, but only time could. We've not come to that time in this Democracy within all men.

Thus so, President Lyndon B. Johnson said:

Thus so, I said:

Men who came to meet with Ethic's within learning to stand against Generational Foolishness within Society met the Truth and moved forth with the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

LBJ concluded his speech with these words.

Following this and still continuing to this day, is the work of black men/women and white women, for the full circle equality, to promote a premise of “All men are created equal†and improving ourselves and this nation as being a Democracy, to do that we must embrace what is "Equality Of and Among Mankind".

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thus so, again I say:
"Men who came to meet with Ethic's within learning to stand against Generational Foolishness within Society met the Truth and moved forth with the passage of the Civil Rights Act. "
This entire post is based on a flawed premise.

There is no single interpretation of God's ethics.

Slave owners would quote the Bible to prove their position.

Even Nat Turner returned back to his master after escaping due to how he interpreted a passage...before the rebellion of course.

ISIS justifies their actions based on literal interpretations of God.

Fact is interpreting any religious book written in a different era, culture, century, and language is highly subjective.

Fact is Wilson delt with ethics and quoted God.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
This entire post is based on a flawed premise.

There is no single interpretation of God's ethics.

Slave owners would quote the Bible to prove their position.

Even Nat Turner returned back to his master after escaping due to how he interpreted a passage...before the rebellion of course.

ISIS justifies their actions based on literal interpretations of God.

Fact is interpreting any religious book written in a different era, culture, century, and language is highly subjective.

Fact is Wilson delt with ethics and quoted God.
If that's how you think...

The Bible gave forth the words long before there was an America.
The Bible has it written in the form of 10 Commandments ( Exodus: 20) New King James Version (NKJV) and
Rules Matthew 7...

......and those translate across all Formats of God Based Teaching.

Now, how many chooses to contort that via their brand of Religious framework, is a great many things. But the principles are sound and they serve to give to man a structure that can build and sustain the integrity of societies, communities and is a framework for the foundation of unity in community of mankind.

Quote:
(Proverbs 6:16-19) New International Version (NIV)

16 There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

Quote:
(Galatians 5:19-21) New International Version (NIV)

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
and the Seven Virtues

Quote:

The seven virtues were originally defined in the poem, Psychomachia, by Aurelius Clemens Prudentius, a Christian governor who died around 410 A.D. Because of the poem’s prevalence the concept and idea of the seven virtues spread throughout Europe. The following is a listing of the seven virtues and how they cure each of the seven deadly sins:

Kindness = cures envy by placing the desire to help others above the need to supersede them
Temperance = cures gluttony by implanting the desire to be healthy, therefore making one fit to serve others
Charity or love = cures greed by putting the desire to help others above storing up treasure for one’s self
Chastity or Self-control = cures lust by controlling passion and leveraging that energy for the good of others
Humility = cures pride by removing one's ego and boastfulness, therefore allowing the attitude of service
Diligence or Zeal = cures slothfulness by placing the best interest of others above the life of ease and relaxation.
Patience = cures wrath by taking time to understand the needs and desires of others before acting or speaking.
You can make of that what is suitable to you. as Freedom of Religion is a Constitutional Right.

America uses the Motto. "In God We Trust"... It is too, stamped on your money.... be it coins or paper

in reference of Nat Turner, .

As you say, the Slave owners did their interpretation to support their vile, is equal in comparison to ISIS doing their interpretation to engage their vile... and "Neither adhered to the simple and single commandments and Rules of Biblical words. Matthew 7... | Exodus: 20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I spoke of two things when I addressed Ethic's... One was God, and the Golden Rule, and Two was the very words of the U.S. Constitution, which is the founding premise that supports what is Democracy, and that is, "All Men Are Created Equal".

As a matter of commentary, I have a post on "The Golden Rule"

Last edited by Chance and Change; 06-02-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My landlord created his wealth through the hard work of his tenants. "I worked two jobs so that my landlord could work zero jobs."
Then maybe you should stop giving them your money and buy your own home, it would be cheaper monthly and you might own it one day, not to mention the equity you build up. See problem solved.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:42 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,774,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
As a baby boomer the only thing I can promise is that I will suck every last dollar out of the system I can. After you work 40 years, you can say that too. Until then, get to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
How unselfish of you.
That's what socialism is. Some having to work to support the other that doesn't work and takes out of the system. I thought that's what the young wanted? Go Bernie! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies