Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 02:39 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
If more Dems take the position of WestCobb, I would be worried about Republicans losing their Congressional majority in 2018, fortunately, he seems to be a very tiny minority within the liberal hate hive.

As a Republican leaning libertarian, we do need some sane Democrats to limit the power of the Republicans now running the country. Here's to some moderate liberal non-haters taking back control of the Dem Party from the Soros funded Fascist goon squad which has stripped the Dems from most of the power they previously held.
Well American Expat, for what's it worth, I am planning to move to Kentucky in the summer where I will get actively involved in politics at the local and state level. I am going to encourage my fellow Democrats to treat Republicans and likely Republican voters like they should be treated -- as our friends, neighbors and family members who have different points of view than us. America is not two great enemy camps -- it's a single nation of people who have worked together in the past and should work together again in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 02:43 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I am basically Center-Left. The truth is the Democrats need to learn to be more like the Republicans....that is learn to be complete Azz-Wholes who are only concerned about winning. The country can go p-h-u-c-k itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I disagree. With politics, it's not only about winning -- it's the way that you win too. Republicans take-no-prisoners approach is what lead to the election of the first president in living memory who seems to think his word is law. We wouldn't be in any better shape if we had our own version of Trump (Kanye West?) trying to ram his will down the throats of the American people with no regard for legal and constitutional precedents.
i dont see republicans creating havoc at democrat rallies, through paid operatives. i dont see republicans standing up in congress making campaign speeches and lying about their opponents in those speeches. i dont see republicans making commercials about democrats wanting to throw granny off the cliff.

sorry guys, but the win at any cost is primarily a democrat thing, though i admit republicans are not angels when it comes to campaigns.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont see republicans creating havoc at democrat rallies, through paid operatives. i dont see republicans standing up in congress making campaign speeches and lying about their opponents in those speeches. i dont see republicans making commercials about democrats wanting to throw granny off the cliff.

sorry guys, but the win at any cost is primarily a democrat thing, though i admit republicans are not angels when it comes to campaigns.
In certain circles (talk radio for instance) liberals are demonized as American-hating monsters who threaten the very fabric of civilization, but you are right -- it goes both ways. It's the right of all Americans to politically protest, but violent, disruptive demonstrations don't do any good. Democrats should respect the right of Republicans to peaceably assemble.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:00 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Well American Expat, for what's it worth, I am planning to move to Kentucky in the summer where I will get actively involved in politics at the local and state level. I am going to encourage my fellow Democrats to treat Republicans and likely Republican voters like they should be treated -- as our friends, neighbors and family members who have different points of view than us. America is not two great enemy camps -- it's a single nation of people who have worked together in the past and should work together again in the future.
I will work on having a similar attitude, we all need to do the same....admirable.

Why are you leaving Europe?

Old 02-05-2017, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I will work on having a similar attitude, we all need to do the same....admirable.

Why are you leaving Europe?
It's just time for me to return home. I've enjoyed my stay here. I've met a lot of interesting people and have gained a wider perspective, but it was never my intention to stay. America is still the greatest nation on Earth - my travels have only reinforced this for me.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:34 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
I disagree. With politics, it's not only about winning -- it's the way that you win too. Republicans take-no-prisoners approach is what lead to the election of the first president in living memory who seems to think his word is law. We wouldn't be in any better shape if we had our own version of Trump (Kanye West?) trying to ram his will down the throats of the American people with no regard for legal and constitutional precedents.
I don't know how you could call Trump's victory a result of a "Republicans take-no-prisoners approach" when the party establishment did their damnedest to torpedo his nomination, a majority of registered Republicans voted for someone other than Trump, and party support for Trump was tepid at best even after he was the nominee. Trump is an interloper who won DESPITE the Republican party's efforts, not because of them.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:37 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
You don't compromise with fascist racist misogynistic homophobes!

Old 02-05-2017, 03:38 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Libs must realize w/o the Rust Belt, they have NO path to 270.

So they can treat them like flyover country, or they can listen to them, treat their concerns as things to fight for, and have a shot at winning the WH again.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I don't know how you could call Trump's victory a result of a "Republicans take-no-prisoners approach" when the party establishment did their damnedest to torpedo his nomination, a majority of registered Republicans voted for someone other than Trump, and party support for Trump was tepid at best even after he was the nominee. Trump is an interloper who won DESPITE the Republican party's efforts, not because of them.
Good point. You're right. It's those Republicans who I look to the most to check Trump if (and it's still an if) he overreaches and seeks to claim absolute power for himself.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
You don't compromise with fascist racist misogynistic homophobes!
I agree. Now let's get real and acknowledge that Republican, Christian and cultural conservative does not equal fascist, racist, misogynistic homophobe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies