Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 11:52 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times

Advertisements

"A hotel employee ignored their family at the front desk, only to help a white customer in line behind them. Was he racist, or did he just overlook them? A white guy at the airport rolled over Frances’ foot with his suitcase and refused to apologize. Was he racist, or simply rude? Kids at school joked that their son and other black students looked like a gang. When will it end?"

Okay, the kids joking at school, even if unintentional, that's racist. But, the hotel employee and the rude guy at the airport? Since those things happen to everybody, you would never really know for sure. I don't have an answer. It could end, for an individual anyway, when that individual shuns it.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:50 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I love the United States and know that I have been given opportunities here that I would not have gotten anywhere else on Earth, but.... When we lived in California my husband and son's got pulled over all the time. Two of the times my husband, a military JAG officer, was pulled over because "he was driving suspiciously" he was handcuffed while they called in his license. Handcuffed. A middle aged, well dressed, cooperative, non-violent, polite man who had broken no laws. Not even a mike over the speed limit. I can't begin to tell you how many times he's been pulled over and grilled about the vehicle he was driving. It exists, you just don't think it does because you haven't been subjected to it.
Then what are you complaining about. By your own admission the United States is the only place that allows a person on earth to have a spouse, serve in a military, serve as an officer of a court, drive a car, eat food, and have a f---ing house to sleep in. Because no one in Canada or Israel has experienced these things, running naked, hungry, and homeless as they are. And you want to complain about a minor inconvenience your husband occasionally went through?

Old 02-06-2017, 12:56 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm not contradicting what I said.

They can't possibly know why Employee A didn't refill their water. Unless Employee A told them directly. They've made the claim they know why and that reason is race.

So they are either

A. Racists
B. Idiots
C. Both A & B

I'll go with C. Pick as you please.

If Employee A doesn't refill my water I assume no motive therefore I can't be labeled anything. If I make a claim that Employee A didn't refill my water based on race that makes me A, B, or C from my previous list (I'd again go with C).

When a person accuses another of racism as they've done without any evidence whatsoever that makes the accuser a racist IMO.

At the very least these folks are idiotic or socially retarded...wouldn't you agree?
Its a contradiction, your only claim to it not being so is the extra step of saying they assumed a motive, and you havent, buts that slitting hairs at best.

As for your final question, you are basically arguing the "thought crime defense" and that isnt going to work here, disagreeing about whether you should care what people think or do does not negate the fact that it has happened.

this draws back to the empathy discussion. People with no understanding assume a lot. Your own argument doesnt even put forth evidence that they are wrong. You just dont want to confront the situation.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:08 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Its a contradiction, your only claim to it not being so is the extra step of saying they assumed a motive, and you havent, buts that slitting hairs at best.

As for your final question, you are basically arguing the "thought crime defense" and that isnt going to work here, disagreeing about whether you should care what people think or do does not negate the fact that it has happened.

this draws back to the empathy discussion. People with no understanding assume a lot. Your own argument doesnt even put forth evidence that they are wrong. You just dont want to confront the situation.
I can't prove a negative.

Confront what situation?

I don't know the motives of others unless they tell me. When you assume a motive it has to be based on your own projections.

It's like trying to guess why a woman gets on a bus. Going to work? Going home? Going to school? Likes riding buses?

How in the world can anyone guess these things?

Old 02-06-2017, 01:15 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Explain the logic of tolerating racism.
They are experiencing personal racism. That is on personal levels but not institutional racism. There is little personal racism in Milwaukee the city proper. Some but little. However, there is major institutional racism throughout the metropolitan area of Milwaukee which essentially makes it nearly impossible for a black child in Milwaukee's inner-city to ever obtain a Harvard education.

A Jewish white man might experience a lot of personal ethnocentric discrimination at the personal level, in a 1980's Chicago, especially dealing with Chicago gangsters in politics and city machine. But little institutional discrimination effected them economically. True, there was only so far they could advance in WASP controlled national politics but they got around that by controlling the banks, media, and having a strong footprint in academia.

Personal racism has psychological affects like the young white girl that deals with severe acne.

The family in Dallas is going through frustrations caused by culturally engrained perceptions. And their money and status won't automatically shield them at all times from that. It's a frustration but their could be worse crosses to carry even as black in the USA. That is not dismissing their cross, just keeping it in perspective.

There can be worse crosses to carry being white as not all white people are rich or had nice friends or good parents in their youth. Some have been emotionally or physically abused.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:57 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,033,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I'm sure that's every bit as bad as 400 years of slavery and 100 years of Jim Crow.

If you personally experienced that, you must be very, very, very old.

Very.

Credibility: ZERO

Old 02-06-2017, 02:46 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
If you insist on being an individual you're going to destroy the collectivist utopia the Left is trying to create.

Best to play along. So...are you a victim or oppressor? Pick one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iposted View Post
I'm a white male. The other day I went to donate plasma. When I went to sit down with the lady (black) and said "hey how's it going." She gave me a mean stare than started barking orders at me. I continued to be very kind and polite. Near the end of the process she apologized to me and told me that she was having a bad day. I didn't think at any time she was a racist, I just thought she was a jerk.

About a week ago on my lunch break I went to a restaurant a black female co worker of mine raved about. When I was walked in the hostess and bartender (both black) completely ignored me, the hostess actually walked past me in front of me and went over to a white male and they started talking. Than a black couple came in behind me. Soon as they arrived everyone rushed to help us. I walked out. I didn't think "wow eff these racists." I assumed it was what it is. They are probably repeat customers and sense I'm not they ignored me, SOOO they are not going to get my money.

The day after the election I had a few different groups of black folks harass me in the street about who I voted for. They all referred to him as "your" president.

I dated a black woman once who was I know now a sellout. She dated me cause I'm white and she wanted some "white privilege" for her and her children. When she quickly realized that human beings are often jerks to me too for no reason and I receive poor service and even *GASP* old white ladies lock there doors when I walk by and I also sometimes get harassed by the cops, in fact these things happen MORE OFTEN and are MORE OVERT with me being a white man cause jerks Arnt scared to look like a racist with me, it screwed her whole concept of reality so bad she almost completely lost her mind. Also a lot of mean spirited racist comments directed towards her and us in public and private about us being together because of my race, all of them coming from black people also helped destroy our relationship.

Does racism exist, yes, however AAs seem to have this belief that being white means you never have to deal with anyone ever saying or doing anything mean to you and everything is always fair and perfect, no. People are jerks, people have lots of problems, customer service in General is horrible now. If you look for racism in every situation you will find it every day, cause people are going to be jerks forever.

That is true too.

I have had all races and sexes act rude and mean to me.

I personally think it is an American thing most times.

It is so American to be so rude.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:49 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
I can't prove a negative.

Confront what situation?
let me rephrase

acknowledge the possibility

I dont know and " Because I dont know, i cant make an educated guess" are not equal.

Quote:
I don't know the motives of others unless they tell me. When you assume a motive it has to be based on your own projections.

It's like trying to guess why a woman gets on a bus. Going to work? Going home? Going to school? Likes riding buses?

How in the world can anyone guess these things?
If you lived it , you would understand why.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:39 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Frances knows that much progress has been made for African-Americans in Dallas. She and her family have thrived here, living an integrated — and in many ways privileged — life that her grandparents never could have imagined.
Still, the struggle continues.
“Right now, I think we’ve got to figure out a way to stop our children from being shot and killed,” she says. “Like, I need to live in a world where my grandchildren don’t get shot for being in a hoodie. Or walking down the street. Or playing their music too loud.”
As a Harvard Law School graduate I assume she can process statistics well enough to understand that the chance of one of her sons being wrongfully shot and killed by police is infinitesimal compared to the possible threat they face from other young black men. So why does she say this? What purpose could be intended other than to stir up racial animosity and build on the black victimhood myth?

Quote:
She and her husband try to instill the right values in their sons...
The police are bad. White people don't respect you. Great values.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:05 AM

30,178 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This article perfectly articulates what it is like to be black in America. Doing all the right things is never quite enough.

A black Dallas family 'did everything America said we should' but still endures racism daily | News | Dallas News

I think most of us can think of so many similar examples as the ones articulated in this article. And this same stuff happens in progressive California. Maybe to a lesser degree than in other parts of the US, but I am not immune. There are a lot of stores I boycott because I have been followed around or ignored by sales people.
I am white and the same sorts of things also happen to me on a regular basis. Only difference is I would never assume every sleight is because of racism. Some people are just selfish and rude. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies