Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:09 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,608,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1994 View Post
I'm confused what this has to do with nationalism? Nationalism benefits all Americans.
My apologies reading through the replies I thought we were talking about white nationalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 12:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,038,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
No, the "media" isn't conflating nationalism with white nationalism.

It's some other people who are doing so - trying to make white nationalism more cuddly and acceptable.

It's sort of like trying to make white supremacy palatable by saying that there's nothing wrong with seeking to be superior, as in trying to improve oneself.

If you still don't see the difference, ponder this: American nationalism is inclusive, white nationalism is exclusive.
What are you going on about? I just said that white nationalism is racist but American nationalism isn't. Did you miss that part of one of my posts earlier?

I was just saying that the media is conflating any sort of economic nationalism with racism.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 PM

76 posts, read 21,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The key is to link the words "white" and "nationalist" together. "Nationalist" by itself isn't necesarilly the issue. It's the message that is sent by people that are calling for a "whiter" country, or a return to the way things "used to be" (i.e. when minorities had less rights or were less empowered in society). Or often, people don't directly call out for these things, but are implicitly implying that's what they want. This isn't everyone by any means - but it is definitely there, lurking beneath the surface.

And yes, a black person calling for their "own" country is an equally racist message.

I think the slippery slope with nationalism comes when people make it about the culture or people that make America great. What makes us great is that we're melting pot of people from all over the world. Don't feel ashamed to be proud to be an American - our values are strong and unique. It is OK to want to protect the country and those values. However, we should remember who we are as a people (mostly a nation of immigrants, built by immigrants, and built for immigrants).
I think you're talking about illegal immigration? Maybe from mexico? I'm only guessing here since you weren't specific but I will respond as if you did if you didnt mean that just explain. But I am not against illegal immigration due to race I'm black american I've seen statistically a few years back those tougher on illegal immigration actually tended to be black Americans. Ive always been against illegal immigration actually because of how it specifically badly affects Americans and black Americans specifically. We are a nation of legal immigrants not illegal one. That's the difference whether white or black or Asian or Hispanic the majrotiy of Americans have families who came here legally which is the difference. Its not about race. In fact the people you're referring to I'm guessing identify as white.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
PART 2

While I don't cite this source to back up every assertion I made in PART 1 I do provide it as a source of information on the discussion of what constitutes a "nation."

You can then contrast nationalism to patriotism. Traditionally, nationalism has been viewed as a vice in Catholicism and patriotism a virtue. Not exactly sure why. Perhaps it is rooted in traditional Catholicism seeing its self as a nation and that Christ wanted everyone on earth converted and baptized into that nation. Therefore, multitudes of states would exist but only one nation on earth. Maybe that is the reason, but that is only speculation on my part.

The Catholic Church today is not a nation. It is too internally divided with no commonly shared values. You could be an athiest or Satanist and be a Catholic today.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/nationalism/

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/patriotism/
I like the third definition of nationalism here

Old 02-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Nationalism has been the norm for the entire world throughout most of the past few thousand years. So I'm not sure why only white people who are pro nationalism in 2017 are racist and the billions of other pro nationalism people throughout history aren't. Perhaps pro globalism people are using using their go to argument again?
It seems like its on to be nationalism unless youre white in america lol

Old 02-09-2017, 01:09 PM

16,119 posts, read 7,111,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1994 View Post
I wasn't talking about white nationalism or black nationalism. I'm talking about nationalism not racism. American nationalism for that matter. A specific race. And segregation only hurt black Americans. But I was talking about nationalism in favor of america. I'm a black person in favor of american nationalism.
This is the definition of nationalism:
loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

The bolded part is what causes problem with nationalism. who gets to defines its culture? what is american culture? one may love his his French culture from his ancestors, or her Mexican heritage, or in being Japanese and still be patriotic and love many things about America. What one loves about America, what it is defined by, may not be the same for another American. So who is right and why?
If you think about these things you will understand why nationalism is a complex idea and not always good, the best, or right.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:11 PM

This is so simple. You ask most Americans regardless of race (who haven't been indoctrinated into SJW thought) about the border, the ill effects of globalization, unchecked illegal immigration, and whatnot, they will sound like a "nationalist". It just means that the country should be free to govern itself without the influence of outside forces be it the UN, free trade treaties or another nations interests. Every country has some measure of nationalism in that regard.

Why is this so hard to understand? Because the media tends to make you think that if a white native person were to say any of this that must mean they're racist, xenophobic and must be a part of some white nationalist movement or whatnot. If a person of color says this, they're a sell out.

Right now the trendy thing to be is to be pro-globalization to the tenth degree, to where the rational laws of a nation aren't even tolerated anymore. To where to be the slightest bit "nationalist" in the sense above is to be shouted down as being akin to fascism, Nazism or white supremacy. It's absurd!

Old 02-09-2017, 01:15 PM

16,119 posts, read 7,111,389 times
Quote:
Ive always been against illegal immigration actually because of how it specifically badly affects Americans and black Americans specifically.
How so?

Quote:
We are a nation of legal immigrants not illegal one.
Starting with Columbus, Italians, Irish, The Mayflower people, every ethnic community arrive here without a visa. So you are wrong about that. African Americans were brought here as property, not even fully human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This is the definition of nationalism:
loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

The bolded part is what causes problem with nationalism. who gets to defines its culture? what is american culture? one may love his his French culture from his ancestors, or her Mexican heritage, or in being Japanese and still be patriotic and love many things about America. What one loves about America, what it is defined by, may not be the same for another American. So who is right and why?
If you think about these things you will understand why nationalism is a complex idea and not always good, the best, or right.
The process of assimilation has been utterly amputated from the American experience these days. We have islands of ethnic groups that assimilate little and their offspring feel less a part of the American culture and blame it on racist white people or what not.

In France, you can love your country and your roots and celebrate but you're French first. They're even MORE crazy about assimilating than we are. In that regard it's not a RACIAL thing it's a CULTURAL thing. Americans, like most people around the world, just want others to respect their national culture and assimilate even if they retain some things from the old world. And it's not just about eating Pizza and playing video games, it's about thinking America should be first, learning the language and not separating yourself from the majority.

I don;t know how many times the "gringo" has to extend out his hand saying this land is your land before it's swiped away because there is a distaste for anything Americana, which is seen as redneck and racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

8,451 posts, read 7,463,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What are you going on about? I just said that white nationalism is racist but American nationalism isn't. Did you miss that part of one of my posts earlier?

I was just saying that the media is conflating any sort of economic nationalism with racism.
Actually, your words were

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The media is conflating nationalism, which doesn't regard race[,] with white nationalism, which is racist, in order to smear nationalism in the US.
Note - there appears to be a missing comma, which I've inserted for readability. I've also underlined the section that prompted my response.

I simply don't see it the way that you're presenting it - that the media is smearing economic nationalism by equating it with white nationalism.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies