Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:30 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,030,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
We are NOT France and we should be thankful. We are America and why are you not proud of our tradition of freedom and welcoming all? Pizza is not America, thank the Italian immigrants for that, who suffered a lot of
discrimination when they first arrived. The children of immigrants are the true Americans.
Who said I wasn't welcoming of all? This is the mindset some of you are in that is really all emotional and no reason. The point is that new immigrants aren't assimilating as much as the immigrants of yesteryear. There is a disconnect level of thinking where many immigrants think of themselves as separate because they;re not white and think white people don't see them as real Americans. The point is that this isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:30 PM

16,066 posts, read 7,082,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Of course, and Trump said this much. Did you not hear or read about his speech given in Pittsburgh shortly before the end of the election campaign? He said explicitly that corporations and their political lackeys are behind a lot of the ill effects of globalization.

What stuns me is that supposed leftists and liberals who once were anti-globalization in the 90s now all of a sudden are the most pro-globalization and pro-free trade of them all.
Well, the Corporations seem to care 2 hoots about Trump and are taking care of business which brings prosperity to America. Yes they are shipping jobs which is an awful thing but Trump has no policy or plans to stop that because it will be conflict of interest for him. You seem to forget Trump is doing the same with his companies. You think American seamstresses are making Ivanka's fashion goods? They are made in China which means jobs shipped.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,925,448 times
Quote:
The process of assimilation has been utterly amputated from the American experience these days. We have islands of ethnic groups that assimilate little and their offspring feel less a part of the American culture and blame it on racist white people or what not.

In France, you can love your country and your roots and celebrate but you're French first. They're even MORE crazy about assimilating than we are. In that regard it's not a RACIAL thing it's a CULTURAL thing. Americans, like most people around the world, just want others to respect their national culture and assimilate even if they retain some things from the old world. And it's not just about eating Pizza and playing video games, it's about thinking America should be first, learning the language and not separating yourself from the majority.

I don;t know how many times the "gringo" has to extend out his hand saying this land is your land before it's swiped away because there is a distaste for anything Americana, which is seen as redneck and racist.
I do not think that is true at all. You are taking part in revisionist history if you truly think that is the case.

Second generation immigrants continue to assimilate just as quickly as past waves of immigration. Or do you think all European immigrants showed up and were "normal Americans" immediately after arriving here (hint: they weren't).

Your post implies to me that you do not spend a lot of time with immigrants, particularly second or third generation ones. I can tell you that they are as "American" as anyone else I've ever met.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
American Nationalism that focuses on citizen status rather than race or religion makes too much sense. Poor Whites, poor Blacks, poor Hispanics, and poor Native Americans have very similar problems that all have the same solutions: a living wage, more transparency for the justice system, national healthcare, better services for getting hard to employ people in the workforce, etc. Yet poor Whites vote one way (for big corporations, no govt. regulations) while poor non Whites vote another way (globalism, open borders). I'm old enough to figure out that both parties do a lot of talk about helping the working class but they get to Washington and do nothing.
Yeah well the Democrats and the left threw out class politics in favor of identity politics and shot their own feet.

Right wing populism filled the void. It's probably the only class based politiics there is right now.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I do not think that is true at all. You are taking part in revisionist history if you truly think that is the case.

Second generation immigrants continue to assimilate just as quickly as past waves of immigration. Or do you think all European immigrants showed up and were "normal Americans" immediately after arriving here (hint: they weren't).

Your post implies to me that you do not spend a lot of time with immigrants, particularly second or third generation ones. I can tell you that they are as "American" as anyone else I've ever met.
Yes they are but what I am saying is that many don't see themselves that way in the sense that they think the only true American is a white American because the nation is divided over populist rhetoric.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:35 PM

76 posts, read 21,851 times
Quote:
How so?

Starting with Columbus, Italians, Irish, The Mayflower people, every ethnic community arrive here without a visa. So you are wrong about that. African Americans were brought here as property, not even fully human.
Yeah black Americans were brought here as slaves slavery was very legal. I'm not ashamed of my background actually proud of it

Old 02-09-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Who said I wasn't welcoming of all? This is the mindset some of you are in that is really all emotional and no reason. The point is that new immigrants aren't assimilating as much as the immigrants of yesteryear. There is a disconnect level of thinking where many immigrants think of themselves as separate because they;re not white and think white people don't see them as real Americans. The point is that this isn't true.
What do you mean by assimilating? that they talk with an accent? eat ceviche instead of burgers and frenchfries?
I don"t think they care anything about what white people think of them, don't kid yourself. They only care they have rights, they can vote, and they want equal opportunity in employment, housing, and to succeed. It is the wonder of America that in spite of everything they are succeeding brilliantly. Maybe it is not assimilation you are worried about but suffering from envy?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1994 View Post
Yeah black Americans were brought here as slaves slavery was very legal. I'm not ashamed of my background actually proud of it
so you can see laws were made to benefit slave owners and that is why it was legal until it was abolished. then it became illegal to own human beings. we fought a war over it and people died.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by assimilating? that they talk with an accent? eat ceviche instead of burgers and frenchfries?
I don"t think they care anything about what white people think of them, don't kid yourself. They only care they have rights, they can vote, and they want equal opportunity in employment, housing, and to succeed. It is the wonder of America that in spite of everything they are succeeding brilliantly. Maybe it is not assimilation you are worried about but suffering from envy?
Why would I suffer from envy? Already you're assuming I am an old baby boomer white guy, eh?

Anyways, my point is that it's not about the food they're eating but the notion that they think they're fighting against white supremacy or racism when it comes to issues reflecting globalization. Do you not watch the Buzzfeed videos? There is a lot of insecurity there and resentment. That anything Americana is seen as redneck and racist. That they really believe the idea that we are just a nation of immigrants so we should just let the tide of illegal immigration and the problems it causes roll off our backs. That is just one issue.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:52 PM

76 posts, read 21,851 times
Quote:
so you can see laws were made to benefit slave owners and that is why it was legal until it was abolished. then it became illegal to own human beings. we fought a war over it and people died.
It doesn't matter why it was legal. It was legal and I'm sorry I have no shame in my ancestry maybe I would if I were white. But as a black american I'm actuly proud of my heritage and that's actually in part why I'm very pro America. You don't thow your fortune away because you've been poor all your life. It surely paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies