Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What harm are we causing non-US citizens who are trying to get here? They don't have a natural right to come here any more than I have a natural right to go to their countries. If they have to wait a little while longer to go through the process, it isn't harming them.
Many of the people not allowed to board planes or come into the country in the days after the ban had legal visas and green cards. They did nothing illegal, had made plans, had schedules, financial investments, families who made plans and also had schedules and financial investment, jobs, classes, employers, etc. They were harmed. You think 100 companies lodged a lawsuit against the president's ban for the fun of it?

Here is only one example of which I am personally aware--a local Iranian man, who is a legal green card holder and has investments and projects under construction in this country, was not allowed to come back. So he froze all of his investments and halted construction projects as he had no idea when he could return. All of those people working on those job sites were told they did not have a job until further notice. Local people lost their jobs and wages because Trump acted impulsively, wrong-headedly and in an extremely disorganized and illogical manner. Only one small example.

This happened all over the country. Trump created chaos on local, national and international levels and innocent law-abiding individuals were harmed, lives were disrupted, whether you think they have a right to feel they were harmed or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
They didn't ADD more rules. They just put up a ban. All those people had legal green cards, visas, they had been through the process. For refugees that's an absolute minimum, if not more, of two years. The green card holders were vetted before they were given the green card. They had been green card holders for years. They were doctors, professors, --- these weren't some derelicts from the streets of these countries. They were grandparents, babies needing surgeries, etc. They didn't know what they were doing. If that doesn't scare us I don't know what will

Old 02-09-2017, 11:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I would recommend reading the decision instead of guessing...

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...9/17-35105.pdf
Soooooo you want me to take the government's word for it?

Not exactly a viable option for confirming facts.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:47 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The US already does say who can enter and under what conditions they may enter.

To arbitrarily add more rules without any real logic, reasoning (or method of implementation) behind them, simply seems rather absurd and ridiculous, and will affect innocent individuals, families, companies, industries, schools, communities, etc. in an adverse way and will do virtually nothing to prevent any harm. And what harm is it that we are preventing? It's like arresting people before they've committed a crime, just in case.
I won't defend any additional rules if you agree the initial rules are also arbitrary garbage.

Deal?

Old 02-10-2017, 01:46 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Wow.

A complete double standard is at play here.

These 6 Countries On The Travel Ban List Do NOT ACCEPT Jewish Passports
Fake title on a fake news story.

The body of the article said those countries don't accept Israeli passports. Not all Israelis are Jewish. Some are Christians, others are Muslim.

Since its well known that those countries are on Israel's non-accpetance list, the rest of the article is junk. They have been reciprocal in mutually denying each other entry for decades.

Wake up and smell the bacon. That's Israel's affair, not ours, and never has been ours. The United States is not bound by any other nation on who it chooses to recognize or not, and ally with or not.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKittyA complete double standard is at play here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
so?
So, Waldo thinks a muslim ban is just fine and dandy because some islamic hell-hole has similar laws.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:09 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I won't defend any additional rules if you agree the initial rules are also arbitrary garbage.

Deal?
Sure--I'll agree with that. I'm not big on rules and detest authoritarianism.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Wow.

A complete double standard is at play here.

"Jewish" isn't on your passport, genius

Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Americans hold themselves to a higher standard than the unevolved.

I know I know.

How elitist not to mention racist.

Excellent points made!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
"Jewish" isn't on your passport, genius

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies