Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:04 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

Fake news:

https://twitter.com/SweeneyABC
Sam Sweeney ‏@SweeneyABC 3h

Sec. DeVos physically blocked by protesters from entering DC school--turned away and left. Unclear if she attempted another door. @ABC7News

Real News:

The Washington Post and NY Daily News reported that DeVos persisted and eventually made it inside for her 10am meeting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rd-university/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2969264

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-10-2017 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 12:14 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
These wonderful liberals aholes got physical with this 110 lbs woman. I saw a report where they got right up to her and pushed on her.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Taking a look at your stats it's still the majority white by almost half. It sounds like your just recently getting people of various backgrounds. Your Asian population is under 2%.

It sounds more like this is a new thing.

And fast growth comes with many issues. Schools, hospitals, roads not kept up to handle the increase in traffic. Fast growth isn't always a good thing.

FL is a perfect example of that. Just their infrastructure alone can't support the traffic.
Robeson County has been 1/3 each of black, white, and American Indian for as long as I can remember. One building in Charlotte has businesses all of whom speak German. Does California have communities where the people speak pure Shakespearean English? North Carolina does in both the Outer Banks and the isolated mountain communities. But all people are still just people and diversity is not necessary. It is just a fact of life that we have to adjust to. I had personally never know a black person when I got married more than 50 years ago. Imagine what a culture shock it was to me to move to Fayetteville where there is everything imaginable. Fayetteville has a wonderful collection of foreign language books. They let the other libraries borrow them.

When one grows up in "Mitford" 44% white is not considered a lot of white people.

All my grandchildren still in public schools go to charter schools. (Back to the subject.) Our family likes charter schools.

Last edited by NCN; 02-10-2017 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 12:55 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
in a word.

Jesus.

She wants to get jesus into more schools.... and of course there are billions to made opening schools and sucking in poor kids with vouchers, they will make billions with rubbish schools in red states that will do nothing to stop her, because she funds their campaigns...
Jesus? You personally know that? Remember when the Laura and John Arnold Foundation gave $25 million to support high-performing charter schools in New Orleans? They aren't Jesus freaks. Good grief, if Devos doesn't work out, she'll be fired.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Jesus? You personally know that? Remember when the Laura and John Arnold Foundation gave $25 million to support high-performing charter schools in New Orleans? They aren't Jesus freaks. Good grief, if Devos doesn't work out, she'll be fired.
She bought and bribed her way into the position.
She profits off of charter schools

Quote:
A sobering look at what Betsy DeVos did to education in Michigan — and what she might do as secretary of education
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7b9ddc7f3ed9
When someone shows me who they are...I believe them.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos physically blocked by protesters from entering D.C. school | WJLA

Okay, the lady sucks and bought her way into the role, but come on. What exactly does this solve? These protesters aren't solving anything either by just getting in the way.

I like it , they showed they were more than a photo op.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Anyone who knows anything about Betsy Devos knows that. Take a look at her background.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:05 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
She bought and bribed her way into the position.
She profits off of charter schools

When someone shows me who they are...I believe them.
Ummm ... you *are* aware that John King, her Sec of Ed predeccesor, was educated in private schools himself, and began his career both running and founding private schools of his own, yes??

Old 02-10-2017, 01:05 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
These wonderful liberals aholes got physical with this 110 lbs woman. I saw a report where they got right up to her and pushed on her.

Sounds like she might not be wanted ,it's their school they want her out ...so be it.

Last edited by G1..; 02-10-2017 at 01:26 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Protests are actually quite effective and they're a Constitutional right. Nobody should be trying to stop them.
There is protesting and there is being a bully. These "protest" are the latter.

Westboro Baptist Church and the Civil Rights Movement are examples of effective protesting.
The people damaging property and attacking people, that's not a protest. That's assault. That's vandalism.

Protesting is not a permission to break the law. Protesters don't have the right to quiet others from disagreeing with them. They don't have the right to block people from going on about their day. They don't have the right to make people listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies