Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:09 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times

Advertisements

NBC published this piece, in which it claims there's a "ghost gun" loophole. "Police say criminals are well aware of the availability of "ghost guns," and they've been used in shootings across the country, from Maryland to California." Can we take a look at numbers, here, instead of hyperbole? Two shootings in different locations in the US doesn't equate to the message in that sentence. They make it sound like there are thousands of these incidents taking place. Lie. The vast majority of this type of gun, recovered from crime scenes, come from Latin American gangs and drug cartels and are believed to have been made in Mexico.

Ugh. In addition, 'ghost gun' is one of the most illogical, made-up names ever created. Second, the kits they're referring to use a lower receiver (the part that's considered a firearm) that is unfinished. It's a piece of metal that needs to be machined in order to be useable. "All the parts needed to assemble a gun were in the box when it arrived. It took Vasquez a couple of hours to assemble the weapon." Maybe. If you happen to have all of the equipment needed - expensive ****, tools, drill press, etc - on hand, and have a LOT of experience. Otherwise, complete lie. Third, and most important;if you're a felon - not able to purchase a firearm - then possessing a finished gun is illegal, regardless of it came from a kit. Oh, I forgot, we're always assuming criminals follow laws.

This is why gun owners don't want to talk to gun control advocates anymore.

Loophole Lets Criminals Buy Untraceable 'Ghost Guns' Online - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 11:23 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
80%ers have been available since, well, the invention of the AR and are rarely used in any crime because the person assembling them are usually very into firearms and the expensive equipment to do it. Even with the latest j-i-g-s you have to really know what you are doing or you'll have a messy piece of iron.

Handguns are the weapon of choice in the ghettos where most crime occurs. Not AR-15s. Typical liberal mantra.

Registration is so overrated. Databases don't stop criminals. It's so simple to file off a serial number or change it. The hand wringing over serial numbers is hilarious.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:26 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
I wasn't aware that AR platform rifles were used all that often in committing crimes.
In fact, in this state nearly all crimes are committed with pistols. Even though there are a great many AR style rifles in private hands here, they are very rarely (if ever) used in crimes.
In fact, I know somebody who recently bought a black powder cap 'n' ball revolver. It is fully finished and ready to fire when purchased. No background check required! ANYBODY can purchase one! It takes a while to load it, but once both cylinders were charged, there are 12 shots readily available.
THAT would be more likely to be used in an armed robbery than an AR platform rifle, even though it is a heavy, clunky, single action beast of a revolver!

Old 02-12-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I wasn't aware that AR platform rifles were used all that often in committing crimes.
In fact, in this state nearly all crimes are committed with pistols. Even though there are a great many AR style rifles in private hands here, they are very rarely (if ever) used in crimes.
In fact, I know somebody who recently bought a black powder cap 'n' ball revolver. It is fully finished and ready to fire when purchased. No background check required! ANYBODY can purchase one! It takes a while to load it, but once both cylinders were charged, there are 12 shots readily available.
THAT would be more likely to be used in an armed robbery than an AR platform rifle, even though it is a heavy, clunky, single action beast of a revolver!
My .45 is big and heavy but the .36 navy is comparable to a .38 special in size and weight. No serial numbers and sold a couple to a stranger in a parking lot. Cash and carry.

I guess they just aren't scary looking enough.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:40 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My .45 is big and heavy but the .36 navy is comparable to a .38 special in size and weight. No serial numbers and sold a couple to a stranger in a parking lot. Cash and carry.

I guess they just aren't scary looking enough.
I forgot to say, the one I was referring to is a .44, with an 8 inch barrel. I believe it does have a serial number.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:03 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
80%ers have been available since, well, the invention of the AR and are rarely used in any crime because the person assembling them are usually very into firearms and the expensive equipment to do it. Even with the latest j-i-g-s you have to really know what you are doing or you'll have a messy piece of iron.

Handguns are the weapon of choice in the ghettos where most crime occurs. Not AR-15s. Typical liberal mantra.

Registration is so overrated. Databases don't stop criminals. It's so simple to file off a serial number or change it. The hand wringing over serial numbers is hilarious.
Exactly. I chose to buy a complete lower because I didn't want to spend $$ for the j-i-g-s, our drill press is only okay (Harbor Freight) and I was worried - having never done it before - that I'd screw up something I just spent roughly a hundred dollars on. This is so NOT a problem! I'd like to put a permanent ball gag in Chuck Schumer's mouth and hog-tie him.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Exactly. I chose to buy a complete lower because I didn't want to spend $$ for the j-i-g-s, our drill press is only okay (Harbor Freight) and I was worried - having never done it before - that I'd screw up something I just spent roughly a hundred dollars on. This is so NOT a problem! I'd like to put a permanent ball gag in Chuck Schumer's mouth and hog-tie him.
There is a never ending supply of these idiots lined up on the D ticket. Moonbeam, Harris, you name it.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
NBC published this piece, in which it claims there's a "ghost gun" loophole. "Police say criminals are well aware of the availability of "ghost guns," and they've been used in shootings across the country, from Maryland to California." Can we take a look at numbers, here, instead of hyperbole? Two shootings in different locations in the US doesn't equate to the message in that sentence. They make it sound like there are thousands of these incidents taking place. Lie. The vast majority of this type of gun, recovered from crime scenes, come from Latin American gangs and drug cartels and are believed to have been made in Mexico.

Ugh. In addition, 'ghost gun' is one of the most illogical, made-up names ever created. Second, the kits they're referring to use a lower receiver (the part that's considered a firearm) that is unfinished. It's a piece of metal that needs to be machined in order to be useable. "All the parts needed to assemble a gun were in the box when it arrived. It took Vasquez a couple of hours to assemble the weapon." Maybe. If you happen to have all of the equipment needed - expensive ****, tools, drill press, etc - on hand, and have a LOT of experience. Otherwise, complete lie. Third, and most important;if you're a felon - not able to purchase a firearm - then possessing a finished gun is illegal, regardless of it came from a kit. Oh, I forgot, we're always assuming criminals follow laws.

This is why gun owners don't want to talk to gun control advocates anymore.

Loophole Lets Criminals Buy Untraceable 'Ghost Guns' Online - NBC News

I make my own lowers and uppers.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Just tie the loop hole argument to having an open Mexican border....Sort of a pinch wouldn't you say?

Old 02-12-2017, 06:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:

80% arms, has a guarantee you cannot screw it up, or they will send you a new lower.
Daytona Tactical has the best pricing around, if you want a complete upper, and their lower parts kit and collapsible buttstock is right at $100

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies