Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Are there any black colleges with "good" engineering programs? ... highly ranked programs that attract top students?

This site lists North Carolina A&T as the top black college for engineering.

HBCU Schools Offering Engineering Programs

US News and World Report ranks that program 135th nationally.

North Carolina A&T State University | North Carolina A&T Overall Rankings | US News Best Colleges

Is it surprising that companies aren't especially excited about recruiting people from programs ranked #135 or lower? Do we really need racism to explain that?
Any evidence to prove that they're not good engineers once they arrive in the workforce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Any evidence to prove that they're not good engineers once they arrive in the workforce?
The relevant question is not whether they are good or not, but whether they are as good as engineers who graduate from highly rated, selective engineering programs and therefore equally good candidates for jobs with top companies. If they are, that means engineering school is pretty much meaningless. Is that your hypothesis?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The relevant question is not whether they are good or not, but whether they are as good as engineers who graduate from highly rated, selective engineering programs and therefore equally good candidates for jobs with top companies. If they are, that means engineering school is pretty much meaningless. Is that your hypothesis?
If we as a country aren't producing enough engineers, maybe companies aren't in a position to be so picky anyway. I mean really...what's it to you regardless? Are they taking a job from you? Obviously not.

Every school can't be MIT. My college isn't, and neither is yours (if you even went to college). Besides, if black kids keep going to these engineering programs at HBCU's, they must obviously be finding jobs.

Maybe that's what's bothering you.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:24 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If we as a country aren't producing enough engineers, maybe companies aren't in a position to be so picky anyway. I mean really...what's it to you regardless? Are they taking a job from you? Obviously not.

Every school can't be MIT. My college isn't, and neither is yours (if you even went to college). Besides, if black kids keep going to these engineering programs at HBCU's, they must obviously be finding jobs.

Maybe that's what's bothering you.
What bothers me at the moment is the realization that I have wasted a lot of time in this thread trying to discuss this topic logically with people who have little regard for, or even ability to follow, a logical argument.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
What book?
Disrupted.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
What bothers me at the moment is the realization that I have wasted a lot of time in this thread trying to discuss this topic logically with people who have little regard for, or even ability to follow, a logical argument.
You mean the logical argument that women don't work in STEM because they have babies? Or the one that women don't care about technology because they don't have UNIX t-shirts?

Or is it impossible to consider that women are excluded at all levels of the process despite having interest?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Also, I think you missed the title of the thread. This is about STEM, not Silicon Valley. Since I work in a STEM field, does that mean I work in Silicon Valley? No. Silicon Valley is less than 1% of all the STEM jobs out there in the United States. Lockheed Martin for example has a ballistic missiles division in Silicon Valley opposite of Google across the airport. However does that mean they have anything to do with Silicon Valley? Absolutely not. You're getting the two mixed up.

The Atlantic is not a research peer reviewed organization. They're just as good as any blog because they have an angle.

Try again with peer researched articles discussing the STEM field, not Silicon Valley, not the plight of women because they have a vagina, etc.

Since you don't even work in STEM, you're at a huge disadvantage here because it's obvious you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
I'll tell you a secret - 2/3s of my friends have are engineers or scientists. I am one of the odd ones out by only working at a tech company. Most of them have the same problems minus bro culture. People treat them like second class citizens. The one with the least sexism issues is a civil engineer. One of the few engineering disciplines that is closer to parity. Hmmm.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Nerve struck. That was easy.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:42 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,736,185 times
Noble goal, and my wife has been doing work in this area. But doesn't seem well thought out and is overloaded with feelings and good intentions. There's probably a better way to address the issue.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:10 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,168 times
I have a deeper philosophical question.

I agree with GE pertaining to the two sexes that a 50/50 representation creates symmetry in the STEM jobs at GE among the two sexes. Two sexes not three sexes nor x number of ethnicities or x number of races.

But my philosophical question is this: if symmetry, not asymmetry, is the goal GE and all should seek to achieve in society, then why stop there and fail to create symmetry among the entire workforce at GE in income? In other words, it is asymmetrical for some to get paid more and some to get paid less. All Jobs at GE providing the exact same yearly income would be symmetry. CEO's getting paid the same as the person working on the floor at GE.

Electing Obama as a black president does not end black poverty. And although almost all mega lottery winners in the USA are white people, a few token blacks winning from time to time, or even if blacks won 14% of the time, it still would not dent black poverty.

But maybe the goal is to keep assymetry in the game by granting symmetry here and there to make everyone feel they have lottery-like chance at winning, and thereby love the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies