Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM

78,418 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It'd be a smart strategy: market a far-right economic policy (exploitation of cheap foreign labor) as liberal social policy.

It's been working well for corporate America since the 1990s. The average American worker gets the shaft. Including white collar workers.
Yep, it's almost sad how the corporations have managed to move jobs to Mexico while on-shoring cheap labor (illegal immigration). Meanwhile US blue collar wages have stagnated, unions have been decimated etc. Then when people starting complaining about this....their entire complaint has been written off as being just racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 02:11 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
I'll wait to send GE a bouquet of roses until we know they're paying equal wages for equal work.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM

78,418 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I'll wait to send GE a bouquet of roses until we know they're paying equal wages for equal work.
Yeah, this is the same GE that off-shored call-centers, manufacturing...pretty much everything that they could for years. Then when overseas costs increased such that there wasn't a big benefit to it anymore they turned around and lobbied the politicians for big tax incentives to move the jobs BACK to the US.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 PM

381 posts, read 177,265 times
I wrote a paper on women in the STEM fields a couple of years ago, so the information may have changed, but these fields have the smallest wage gap between men and women. Now, I've read quite a lot recently about how this gap is a myth in the wake of the Audi Super Bowl ad, but this is what I found. My brother is an engineer and makes good money, and it's definitely male-dominated. If I have a daughter, I would encourage (not force) her to pursue STEM.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:53 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Does this mean they will be turning away perfectly good candidates simply because they don't have the right "equipment" down there?
That's what it sounds like.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilAries View Post
I wrote a paper on women in the STEM fields a couple of years ago, so the information may have changed, but these fields have the smallest wage gap between men and women. Now, I've read quite a lot recently about how this gap is a myth in the wake of the Audi Super Bowl ad, but this is what I found. My brother is an engineer and makes good money, and it's definitely male-dominated. If I have a daughter, I would encourage (not force) her to pursue STEM.
And that is the simple point. Encourage them to look at fields that they otherwise probably would never consider (for a variety of reasons, but likely due to a lack of good female role models in these fields and because of societal stereotypes on "male" and "female" professions).

You don't force them to do anything - you provide all opportunities, and hopefully they choose something that is fulfilling to them.

I think you need to start young with these kind of things, too - by high school and college it's probably too late. Middle school is probably a good time (I remember being super excited about my science fair project in 7th grade...more stuff around that age!).

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 02-17-2017 at 05:21 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 04:56 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The best-qualified person should get the job regardless of race or gender. This should be done through testing and the ability to pass the tests.
and companies that follow your guide are doomed to fail..

Women bring a lot to the table that men just don't bring often enough.

I see women working in sectors where they were no welcome just 10 or 20 years ago and they change them for the better. Cooperation , collaboration is the future. the companies winning are the ones ignoring your advice.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
I say this to everyone who says this. Why only STEM? Why not encourage girls to go into other male dominated jobs?
When are we going to encourage men to go into nursing and med tech fields so as to correct the huge gender imbalance there, an imbalance that impacts men with religious based or other modesty issues that are forced to accept intimate care from women or forego care altogether?

Old 02-17-2017, 04:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
When are we going to encourage men to go into nursing and med tech fields so as to correct the huge gender imbalance there, an imbalance that impacts men with religious based or other modesty issues that are forced to accept intimate care from women or forego care altogether?
We should do those things, you're correct! There's no reason there should be a stigma for a man to become a nurse or a med tech.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
We should do those things, you're correct! There's no reason there should be a stigma for a man to become a nurse or a med tech.
I agree, yet there is a bias against hiring men in many medical settings. Also, whereas there are many programs encouraging girls to go into STEM fields, you don't find comparable programs encouraging boys to pursue nursing and med tech fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies