Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:51 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times

Advertisements

I'm liberal and agree with work requirements for all except the disabled. That said - are there jobs in Maine? My brother and his in-laws live in Maine, and it doesn't seem like there is enough work to go around outside of tourism season. Much of the state makes the bulk of their income in the summer. In the winter, aside from some skiing areas, there is not much work to go around. How does that work with this scheme?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:51 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Speaking as a liberal, I agree with Maine. I have seen first hand how dependent people are of the system once they get used to it. People will purposefully cut their hours at work to remain qualified for social services. There was a woman I knew that finally got her associates. After years of minimum wage jobs, she finally landed a job with a significant higher hourly wage than before. I think she got $15/hour. She celebrated at first. Then a month later she walked out of that job and got another minimum wage job. She told us she was going to lose her benefits.

There was also another woman who insisted on working part time to keep her benefits.

Unlike right wingers who feel contempt for these people, I feel sorry for them. Nothing scares me more than not being able to carry my own weight. Think of all the dignity and self worth a person must lose to become dependent on the system.
I don't feel contempt for them, and I don't feel sorry for them either. Life is hard. One has to be productive. I think discontinuing enabling the behavior will result in greater productivity.

I also know people that do not want to make more as they would lose government benefits from the system.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So you're saying these people who couldn't be bothered to work 24 hours a month are now going to suddenly develop a work ethic?
When people don't eat, they do desperate things. Like work.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
A hungry belly is a good motivator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nope, they will work. Starvation is a great motivator.
You're right. Hunger can motivate people to do a lot of things. I wonder what it would motivate somebody who was too lazy to work 24 hours a month to do?

Old 02-21-2017, 08:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You're right. Hunger can motivate people to do a lot of things. I wonder what it would motivate somebody who was too lazy to work 24 hours a month to do?
Cut off that EBT card. They will find a way. It's not the taxpayers job to do it for them.

10,926 posts, read 21,990,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm liberal and agree with work requirements for all except the disabled. That said - are there jobs in Maine? My brother and his in-laws live in Maine, and it doesn't seem like there is enough work to go around outside of tourism season. Much of the state makes the bulk of their income in the summer. In the winter, aside from some skiing areas, there is not much work to go around. How does that work with this scheme?
Job availability isn't relevant as far as the topic of this article is concerned. They don't have to go out and find a job, they just have to do approved volunteer work, I doubt there's any shortage of qualifying organizations at which to volunteer.

"The least difficult of these three options, is fulfilling an approved volunteer work load of just 24 hours out of an entire month, as that translates to an average of less than an hour per day of volunteering."

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
Speaking as a liberal, I agree with Maine. I have seen first hand how dependent people are of the system once they get used to it. People will purposefully cut their hours at work to remain qualified for social services. There was a woman I knew that finally got her associates. After years of minimum wage jobs, she finally landed a job with a significant higher hourly wage than before. I think she got $15/hour. She celebrated at first. Then a month later she walked out of that job and got another minimum wage job. She told us she was going to lose her benefits.

There was also another woman who insisted on working part time to keep her benefits.

Unlike right wingers who feel contempt for these people, I feel sorry for them. Nothing scares me more than not being able to carry my own weight. Think of all the dignity and self worth a person must lose to become dependent on the system.
I respect your position, but you assume that all those who receive welfare benefits have pride and the need to carry their own weight. I too believe that many do. I also know that many don't. Their actions demonstrate this. Those that refuse to even try to rise above their current state and demand that we the people support them. Not the majority, but obviously enough of them. A system that was intended to help those until they could stand on their own is one of many abused social programs. Not unlike the many examples of corporate welfare.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Maine unemployment rate is under 4%. Last year its UE rate has been 1 percentage point below the National average.
Food stamp usage will still be high around the nation as long as the better paying jobs don't come back.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:13 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,803 times
Quote:

I'm guessing you're over 50 years or thereabouts.

The youngest 2 generations, at least, have no self worth other than to see how much they can scam taxpayers. The more, the better. They have been raised to take handouts. It's their way of life. It's all they know.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When people don't eat, they do desperate things. Like work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Cut off that EBT card. They will find a way. It's not the taxpayers job to do it for them.
For the sake of argument, if you're too lazy to work 24 hours a month, what's an easier way to put money in your pocket than getting a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies