Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 03:06 PM

305 posts, read 724,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When people don't eat, they do desperate things. Like work.
And steal....and kill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 03:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
And steal....and kill

If the person, given the choice of stealing, murder and work, he would choose either stealing or murder?

Why the hell do we need that person in our society then?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
And steal....and kill
This thread is about Maine. Join us in reality a moment.

Maine has very low crime. Nobody here kills out of being poor.

The biggest trend in stealing is copper wire and plumbing from abandoned farm houses.

People commonly leave their cars running when they go into grocery store shopping, car theft is very rare. We keep our keys in the car and our front door has never been locked.

It is distinctly possible that where you live, poor people may turn to crime when their food stamps or welfare is denied. I have lived in places like that myself. But this thread is about Maine.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
LOL, that's funny. Recipients had the option to work 24 hours a month to maintain their benefits and didn't, and you're (in true liberal fashion) blaming others for their failure.

Many people work that amount in 2 days, if one can't manage it in a month to maintain their free handouts, it doesn't sound like they're all that concerned about getting their welfare.

The work requirement is 20 hours per week, not 24 hours per month. Volunteers get to work 24 hours a month, not employees.

Let's think about a minimum wage worker who gets $100 / mo food stamps...

20 hours / week = 86 hours / month = equivalent to working for $1.15 / hr

That would make sense for someone gaining a skill on the job, but MW jobs generally are not designed or intended to provide OJT.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:04 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

If the person, given the choice of stealing, murder and work, he would choose either stealing or murder?

Why the hell do we need that person in our society then?
Considering that if you get a job, it might be 3 weeks before you get your first check...

Where if you rob someone on the street, you get the money right away

Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I give a relative money from time to time (not a loan). Instead of using it to buy oil for a decent period of time to heat her home, she keeps getting emergency deliveries, frequently, which costs her more. Five years ago I gave her enough money to pay off her mortgage. She still hasn't paid it off. She uses just enough to pay to get out of trouble and uses the rest for other things. When she was younger (she's in her 60s now), she knew for a year she was going to lose her job (along with a lot of other people). I told her, go look for a job now because there will be too many of you looking for work at the same time if you wait until they lay off all of you. She didn't. You are right. Many make terrible choices.
Not just this thread, but also in other threads I've been "called out" by social justice warriors on here. They are convinced perpetual and generational poor people are poor because of the lack of money. They scoff at what I've said that poor people make very poor choices in life, probably on purpose to remain in perpetual poverty. I question whether these social justice warriors have actually worked with and tried to help the perpetual poor before.

A couple years ago, I had an old car that I was going to junk. After negotiating with the junk yard, they agreed to pay me $500 for it. I knew this guy that needed money. He asked me if he could have it so he could junk it himself. So, I drove the old car to his apartment. I gave him the junk yard's number. Told him all he had to do was call that number and they will come, pick up the car, and give him $500 cash.

About 18 months later, I got a big fat fine from that city for illegal parking. That guy never called the junk yard. He just left it there. It finally got tolled away. And every day, they were charging me money for "storage". I had to go to the city and proved to them that I disowned the car. It wasn't easy to get them to dismiss the fines. The fines were about $5k.

So, that guy could have had an easy $500. All he had to do was call that number. I had already set up everything for him.

And social justice warriors want us to believe that people like that guy would get their act together if only we give them more money.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:39 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Not just this thread, but also in other threads I've been "called out" by social justice warriors on here. They are convinced perpetual and generational poor people are poor because of the lack of money. They scoff at what I've said that poor people make very poor choices in life, probably on purpose to remain in perpetual poverty. I question whether these social justice warriors have actually worked with and tried to help the perpetual poor before.

A couple years ago, I had an old car that I was going to junk. After negotiating with the junk yard, they agreed to pay me $500 for it. I knew this guy that needed money. He asked me if he could have it so he could junk it himself. So, I drove the old car to his apartment. I gave him the junk yard's number. Told him all he had to do was call that number and they will come, pick up the car, and give him $500 cash.

About 18 months later, I got a big fat fine from that city for illegal parking. That guy never called the junk yard. He just left it there. It finally got tolled away. And every day, they were charging me money for "storage". I had to go to the city and proved to them that I disowned the car. It wasn't easy to get them to dismiss the fines. The fines were about $5k.

So, that guy could have had an easy $500. All he had to do was call that number. I had already set up everything for him.

And social justice warriors want us to believe that people like that guy would get their act together if only we give them more money.
mmm, no.

If a person is the type to have their shyte in one sock, then they likely already have their shyte in one sock.

Giving money to someone who can not get it together, is not for the purpose of getting them together.

It is to make them further dependent on the process where society gives them your money.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Who cares about your anecdotes about some poor person you know? You really think that person -- who every Conservative always seems to have an example of -- would make a good employee for anyone? You really think that at the same time this person is looking for work, there aren't also 20 people more qualified than them who will get the job?

You guys live in these fairy tail worlds where suddenly someone who's s perpetual drain is going to magically evolve into a productive worker that company's can't wait to hire. Get real! If these people are anywhere near as bad as you say, do you really think they'll get a job, even if you kick them in the ass all the way to the HR office?

So now you have an unemployable person who can't feed themselves but still needs to eat. WTF do you think they're going to do? Lie in a corner and starve to death?

Scenarios like this continue to show how illogical Conservatives have conditioned themselves to be. They're willing to spend 10x more to incarcerate someone than to feed them. Stop lying to yourselves about this being a budget issue. You don't care about the budget b/c if you did, you'd realize how stupid this position is. You care about punishing people, no matter what the cost.

And the fact is, if you had this same hard on for providing healthcare to people as you do for punishing people, we'd have already have universal coverage, one way or the other.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

The old adage comes to mind "if you want something done then ask a busy man". For quite a few able bodied people on Welfare such as food stamps, the life of non contribution or participation in society will eventually takes it toll , not just in terms of personal wealth but also self esteem and confidence as well.

The best service to those on welfare is for stricter monitoring and more proactive involvement on the part of social services to aid some of the welfare recipients to get in a basic work program of some sort. Anything to get people back working and the better personal benefits that come from it.

Better messaging to people on welfare from social services. There can be minimum wage work available which will do the world of good to future job prospects as well as self esteem. First step is to differentiate between those who would work if they have the chance to do so , and then others who will not work and are committed to a life on welfare.

Probably half of those on welfare would be off the head count if they could be helped get basic employment : cleaning public parks, custodial work etc. Problem in this job market is if extended gaps in the employment history , then the chances of any work is greatly reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies