Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:09 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have pretty much worked full time and received some type of assistance over the last 13 1/2 years.

I am beginning to understand why some just sit home and collect. I get up at 5 am, schlep the kids to school and daycare. Bust my butt all day long at work, just to come home and put in more time to do homework, fix dinner and do household chores. I have tried to climb up above poverty wages and every year I become closer and closer to making minimum wage. So what good was working hard?

Unemployment is $430 a week. I make $600 going to work. I qualify for food stamps of about $300 a month if I only receive unemployment. I spend $50 a week driving to work.

Is being this tired, stressed and miserable worth working 40 hours for $45 a week?
Just curious but how are you guys doing regarding Medical Care/Plans?

Sorry this is very unfair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 03:12 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Again, I live in a rural area and know poor people and homeless people. They walk, ride a bike, stay with someone close to where they can walk or ride a bike to work. Work may be odd jobs, part time jobs, seasonal and under the table. The ones that dont do this dont want to work. They are perfectly happy drawing a check because they can get all those other places they want to go. Or they really dont have the mental facilities.
I've seen illegals come here walk, then get a bike, get rides to the chicken plant, earn enough to get a car.
If someone can come here illegally from another country, not even speaking a language and manage to travel 5 to 10 miles per day one way to work, why can't a local rural person. Because they dont want to. There are resources if you really want to utilize them.

And again, they are asking for either 1. work 20 hrs a week, 2. participate in work training or 3. volunteer 24 hrs. a MONTH.
That's not asking much. That less time than the spend going to wal mart or dollar general to get minutes for their cell phone, buying groceries and all the other things they manage to get rides for.

Sorry I dont think I am dense for not being able to wrap my head around 9,000 ABLE BODIED, SINGLES WITH NO DEPENDENTS not being able to figure out how to manage 24 hours of volunteer hours a month. I cant wrap my head around the fact they cant seem to generate enough money to buy an old beater and get some type of job to better themselves. Apparently those 9,000 didnt need those food stamps after all and haven't starved.
You are spouting off the same verbage refusing to read my posts. You do not want to know the truth. I've shown you twice.
You want to re-spread the same lies refusing to respond and cling to hate. Carry on

In general, what I've found is the ones who are so angry about the topic, are the ones who are afraid others might get a piece of their pie.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:46 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The average SNAP benefits for Maine is $116 per month or around $4 per day, although I'm sure there are some that abuse the system I can't imagine anyone who wants to remain on that system for that amount of money.
Is that for an individual or a family? Here in the Carolinas, foods stamps alloted are upwards of 300 - 500 a month for single parents with several kids. Factor in Medicaid (virtually free healthcare), subsidies for rent per month, WIC, and a person is doing better than someone working at a go-nowhere job for minimum wage job is paying high premiums for healthcare, (or having no health insurance), etc., and the person on the system is doing better. Sad, but true.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:44 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post

We get Medicaid.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:46 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
You are spouting off the same verbage refusing to read my posts. You do not want to know the truth. I've shown you twice.
You want to re-spread the same lies refusing to respond and cling to hate. Carry on

In general, what I've found is the ones who are so angry about the topic, are the ones who are afraid others might get a piece of their pie.
You want to make excuses for everybody who wont take any initiative to improve themselves and get off welfare. I do see the truth. I see those who really cant do any better and need help and will likely always need assistance and I see those like the 9,000 kicked off who have one excuse after another as to why they cant volunteer less than three days a month. I think it is a good thing to try to inspire people to be independent and self sufficient and change the cycle of dependence on government assistance.

Why resort to calling me a liar and claiming I hate others.
What lie do you feel I am spreading and what makes you think I hate people?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:04 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So what do we do about girls who keep making babies because that's just what you do in their culture?
So long as they keep making babies, they can stay on the dole.

This '9,000' story is about people who do not have children.

Quote:
... What you suggest only keeps the mentality going
I have not suggested anything.

Quote:
... What do you think she taught her children?
We have social workers who encourage this.

I attended an event where the guest speaker is a social worker. She goes to a neighboring state, where she presents herself as a girls counselor in the highschools. She tells girls if they are dissatisfied with their home life, all they need is to get pregnant at 18. Then she can set them up with an apartment and line them up with paychecks and food stamps. She gets paid by the state according to how many 'clients' she has. All of her clients are girls that she recruited from the other state.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Is that for an individual or a family? Here in the Carolinas, foods stamps alloted are upwards of 300 - 500 a month for single parents with several kids. Factor in Medicaid (virtually free healthcare), subsidies for rent per month, WIC, and a person is doing better than someone working at a go-nowhere job for minimum wage job is paying high premiums for healthcare, (or having no health insurance), etc., and the person on the system is doing better. Sad, but true.
That is just for individuals and just for Maine, varies by state. Main did not address families on food stamps and they did not address any of the other items you mentioned. That amount is not much, disability is a program that is one that is more costly and subject to abuse.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:

Unfair?
Thats what a whole lot of people do.
What I did for years and years. Still do, but I worked hard and did without to get a degree to help me get a good paying job.
I still get up at the butt crack of dawn, now getting my grandkid to school, driving 30 miles to work, come home and fix dinner, and clean, homework, ball games, etc. etc. etc. without any government assistance. Its called life.
No one is promised a fair life. No one is promised a easy life. I think we have forgotten that everyone is expected to earn their own way if they are able bodied enough to do so.

Why is it unfair that a person is making low wages? What did the person do or not do that causes them to not be able to increase their earning? We are the summation of the choices that we make.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:19 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have pretty much worked full time and received some type of assistance over the last 13 1/2 years.

I am beginning to understand why some just sit home and collect. I get up at 5 am, schlep the kids to school and daycare. Bust my butt all day long at work, just to come home and put in more time to do homework, fix dinner and do household chores. I have tried to climb up above poverty wages and every year I become closer and closer to making minimum wage. So what good was working hard?

Unemployment is $430 a week. I make $600 going to work. I qualify for food stamps of about $300 a month if I only receive unemployment. I spend $50 a week driving to work.

Is being this tired, stressed and miserable worth working 40 hours for $45 a week?
Why not just quit the job and continue your house flipping hobby? Rehabbing your expensive house? That costs big bucks. Sorry but you do not belong in these type of discussions complaining about money and entitlements, as you admit to working the system yourself.
Maybe you could make money selling your system - being on assistance while being a real estate investor and rehabber. You could make bank teaching people how to do that. You are not poor or low on luck, you are smart and quite lucky. No reason you cannot use your talents to figure out how to get out of that crappy job and get more free government money to spend on improving your houses.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:18 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Good.

More states need to do this.

No able bodied working age adult should be on permanent welfare.
And...By extension, no financially able corporation should get our money either!! Yes, this is about changing the focus to include the favored welfare queens in their high rise palaces, but--I already guessed you may have just left them out of your observation--by mistake of course...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies