Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 07:30 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,600,109 times

Advertisements

The absurdity of the current stage of civilization is that much more people should be provided with welfare substinence so that they would not be forced into insanely superfluous and wasteful lines of work undermining possibility for any reasonable future. Welfare saves, economics 101 destroys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
In the Depression people packed up and moved thousands of miles to get a job. Nowadays too many wont move 25 miles to find employment.

I'm always reminded of the Sam Kinison rant about getting food to people in the desert. He screams move, it's a desert, nothing grows here.
I agree with this. I am black and am very well aware of the Great Migration and had family members participate who gave up everything to move to areas where better opportunities existed.

My point though was that there is a small minority of people in this country who would not do something like that. They cannot help themselves. I've seen it first hand. Most people can IMO but that minority, they cannot. I mostly worry about their children, like my friend mentioned earlier who was camping out in the woods in ME with their kid because they were poor and feared CPS taking their child. FWIW, they have an older child as well who got sick of them and left the parent. That child ended up having a child of their own when they were 13 years old so the cycle continues.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 AM

19,679 posts, read 12,260,591 times
This is pointless. The benefit they receive each month is tiny and its just for food. Compared to what a true welfare recipient with dependents receives in all the programs, the food stamp benefit for a single person is very small. They are barking up the wrong tree. Nice way to encourage poor people with problems into having kids, or dealing drugs, so at least they can get food.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:44 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,724,115 times
Unless you are disabled, working should be a requirement for any kind of assistance. There are plenty of public works jobs available.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:09 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. I am black and am very well aware of the Great Migration and had family members participate who gave up everything to move to areas where better opportunities existed.

My point though was that there is a small minority of people in this country who would not do something like that. They cannot help themselves. I've seen it first hand. Most people can IMO but that minority, they cannot. I mostly worry about their children, like my friend mentioned earlier who was camping out in the woods in ME with their kid because they were poor and feared CPS taking their child. FWIW, they have an older child as well who got sick of them and left the parent. That child ended up having a child of their own when they were 13 years old so the cycle continues.
There is always going to be a small segment of the population as you describe. The problem is that small segment has been growing and growing and more and more able bodied people have become accustom to receiving benefits as a way of life. Its time to start encouraging those who can to find work and better their situations and stop the cycle of dependency.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,240,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So Maine's politicians are expecting these people to just sit in their homes and die? Interesting strategy.
No, they expect them to go out and get a freaking job.

It's astonishing that you can't understand that.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:15 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is pointless. The benefit they receive each month is tiny and its just for food. Compared to what a true welfare recipient with dependents receives in all the programs, the food stamp benefit for a single person is very small. They are barking up the wrong tree. Nice way to encourage poor people with problems into having kids, or dealing drugs, so at least they can get food.
They are encouraging people to get job training, work at least part time or volunteer. A way to build confidence and have people feel useful and get them moving toward self sufficiency. Its not a punishment but a way to better themselves. Why have kids or commit crimes over doing something as simple as attending free classes and job training or volunteering or trying to find work? Are those thing so awful that one would actually rather risk prison or go thru pregnancy and bring a life into the same cycle of poverty and hopelessness.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:40 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,541,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I don't see a problem expecting a little work from these people, unless they are disabled.

Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement - Patriot Chronicle
This apparently happened 2 years ago. Old news.

9,000 Drop Food Stamps After Maine Begins Work Requirements

Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,378,870 times
Quote:
So Maine's politicians are expecting these people to just sit in their homes and die? Interesting strategy.
No Maines politicians have just figured out what park rangers across the world have known for years.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:32 AM

37,491 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
I saw one article that Maine's governor salary is the lowest in the nation.

Another article was about the Maine's governor's wife, who works as a waitress for tip money.

Maine's politicians are used to low wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies