Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Very limited OP article.

I'd like to know how many of those people have jobs that would be affected by them being required to work additional hours for food stamps?

Most people who get food stamps already work. Is this criteria for those who are unemployed or for those who work but don't make enough to not be qualified for food stamps?

Also, what sorts of employment programs are they supposed to attend? I know in my area for people who get actual "welfare" payments (used to be AFDC cash payment, not sure what it is called now) they have to go to a particular worksite that the government finds for them. Has Maine set this sort of system up yet or are they expecting unemployed people to go out and "find" work to get foodstamps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 09:21 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
Won't the bleeding heart liberals be uset about these freeloaders not betting free stuff?! Afterall, we're not supposed to hold people personally accountable in todays America!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Job availability isn't relevant as far as the topic of this article is concerned. They don't have to go out and find a job, they just have to do approved volunteer work, I doubt there's any shortage of qualifying organizations at which to volunteer.

"The least difficult of these three options, is fulfilling an approved volunteer work load of just 24 hours out of an entire month, as that translates to an average of less than an hour per day of volunteering."
Reading back in the thread. So if they have to go to an "approved" place to volunteer, who is telling them what is and is not approved?

Or are they just supposed to guess?

FWIW, I don't have an issue with working for any welfare program, I just know for a fact that if you don't give certain people direction, they won't know what to do. Those who will do something, if they find out it's not "approved" will that have an impact on their benefits.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Speaking as a liberal, I agree with Maine. I have seen first hand how dependent people are of the system once they get used to it. People will purposefully cut their hours at work to remain qualified for social services. There was a woman I knew that finally got her associates. After years of minimum wage jobs, she finally landed a job with a significant higher hourly wage than before. I think she got $15/hour. She celebrated at first. Then a month later she walked out of that job and got another minimum wage job. She told us she was going to lose her benefits.

There was also another woman who insisted on working part time to keep her benefits.

Unlike right wingers who feel contempt for these people, I feel sorry for them. Nothing scares me more than not being able to carry my own weight. Think of all the dignity and self worth a person must lose to become dependent on the system.
Because the new wage was not enough to cover the benefits she would be losing. I once calculated the Daley I would need to stop receiving any assistance and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $50k annually, or an additional $10-$12 per hour.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Speaking as a liberal, I agree with Maine. I have seen first hand how dependent people are of the system once they get used to it. People will purposefully cut their hours at work to remain qualified for social services. There was a woman I knew that finally got her associates. After years of minimum wage jobs, she finally landed a job with a significant higher hourly wage than before. I think she got $15/hour. She celebrated at first. Then a month later she walked out of that job and got another minimum wage job. She told us she was going to lose her benefits.

There was also another woman who insisted on working part time to keep her benefits.

Unlike right wingers who feel contempt for these people, I feel sorry for them. Nothing scares me more than not being able to carry my own weight. Think of all the dignity and self worth a person must lose to become dependent on the system.
"dignity and self worth"

A lot of able bodied welfare leeches don't give a thought to " dignity and self worth"

In the late 1980's, a major boat manufacturer was expanding and needed to double its work force from 300 -600 workers.
The Federal govt offered to pay part of their wages in the training phase if the company hired people on welfare. Nearly all of those 300 were hired that way.
The work was hard..........pay and benefits were good and lots of overtime.

One day at closing time a young single mother seemed depressed and was crying.
The foreman came over to console her and ask what was wrong.
She stated............." I work so hard yet at the end of the month I don't feel I'm farther ahead than I was before working"

The foreman said............" but you are doing it all on your own . Paying your rent, feeding your kids, paying for daycare. You are no longer dependant on assistance from the govt "

"Big f'ing deal"..........she snapped at the foreman !

(to add) I was not on welfare but needed a job so the govt office doing the screening of applicants said they would send my application with the rest with a note that I was not eligible for training wage reimbursement.
I was one of the very few non-welfare recipients hired.

About 3 months later I had a dental appointment down town and stopped in that office to thank the guy for sending my application in.
He acted shocked and called the woman assistant in and said.........." this man actually thanked us for helping him get his job"

The woman said.............." that is a first. We have gotten sworn at by applicants but never thanked "

Who said people on welfare want a job ?

Last edited by David A Stone; 02-21-2017 at 10:38 AM..

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
Of course a lot of these folks are just plain lazy and will turn to crime in order to make a living. This is the unfortunate truth.

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
For the sake of argument, if you're too lazy to work 24 hours a month, what's an easier way to put money in your pocket than getting a job?
I don't understand this question.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When people don't eat, they do desperate things. Like work.
But more often revert to stealing, selling drugs, prostitution etc.

Some people do not have the qualities necessary to successfully remained employed, doing a respectable job.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
The "Patriot Chronicle" is a bit out of touch. These are changes that started at the end of 2014. This article from 2015 cites the 9000 figure

State: More than 9,000 Mainers removed from food stamps program - The Portland Press Herald

Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Reading back in the thread. So if they have to go to an "approved" place to volunteer, who is telling them what is and is not approved?

Or are they just supposed to guess?
To follow state guideline I would imagine they would consult official documentation on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies