Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times

Advertisements

This article perfectly illustrates the falsehoods in this thread:

1. No one studies Asians in terms of racism
2. Asians never face discrimination

Asian Last Names Lead To Fewer Job Interviews, Still : Code Switch : NPR

While being Asian may be a "plus" for engineering and finance jobs, most of the time being the model minority doesn't mean you are free of prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,784,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
In essence, and I'm not going to sugarcoat it, white people see them as the "good ones."
THis.

They are held up on a pedestal of "they're good" to a fault. They are seen as highly intelligent, successful, and nonthreatening or not troublesome. They are also, generally in this country, no displayed as overtly vocal concerning racial injustices/discrimination.

When the Majority compares them to Hispanics and Blacks, it's clear that this dichotomy exists.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:52 AM

26,571 posts, read 15,140,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree, since Cali is heavily more Asian it certainly influences demographics but my point still stands that the top universities don't reflect the top schools at all. You can argue that maybe it is because whites on average take more extracurricular or apply more but clearly Asians are getting undercut and it isn't just by Blacks and Hispanics but Whites too.
Cal Tech also has more Asian dominated majors than Harvard.

The article ignores that the facts - the actual data shows the opposite of their speculation. When Affirmative Action ended the white (and Asian) numbers went up the immediate following years.

Answer this, if giving all races except Asians and whites a free 20 points on an admissions scale where 12 points equals a perfect SAT score...actually helps whites as the article suggests....then why not give all races except Asians and blacks a free 20 points on the admissions scale -- wouldn't that help blacks too?

P.S. My personal experience is that Asians take as many extracurricular activities as other races, perhaps more on average. It is just an excuse to take positions away from one group and give to another since academics is to be avoided in such a scenario.

Asians know that they are being discriminated against and need to work harder to get into not just the elite private schools, but the great public schools. They do extracurricular activities in large quantities to not have this used as an excuse.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:43 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
wow, 34 pages.

Obviously it seems to strike a chord with many forum members.

Proof that asians are underrepresented in many aspects of life in America, entertainment, politics, political discussion.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:33 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,089,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Cal Tech also has more Asian dominated majors than Harvard.

The article ignores that the facts - the actual data shows the opposite of their speculation. When Affirmative Action ended the white (and Asian) numbers went up the immediate following years.

Answer this, if giving all races except Asians and whites a free 20 points on an admissions scale where 12 points equals a perfect SAT score...actually helps whites as the article suggests....then why not give all races except Asians and blacks a free 20 points on the admissions scale -- wouldn't that help blacks too?

P.S. My personal experience is that Asians take as many extracurricular activities as other races, perhaps more on average. It is just an excuse to take positions away from one group and give to another since academics is to be avoided in such a scenario.

Asians know that they are being discriminated against and need to work harder to get into not just the elite private schools, but the great public schools. They do extracurricular activities in large quantities to not have this used as an excuse.
Your missing something, they also give whites a boost, the average Asian is more than 100 points higher in the SAT than the average white. So what that means is Affirmative Action gives everyone a boost who isn't Asian. My point is that your data itself is wrong since Asians and Whites do not have the same SAT scores. So giving neither a boost Asians are still screwed over because their will be a huge amount of qualified Asians a huge amount of qualified whites (smaller than the Asian group though), and smaller amount of qualified Blacks and Hispanics. My point is Affirmative Actions screws over the top group the most, and in top schools were most of the qualified people applying will be whites and Asians it is directly screwing over Asians and actually helping whites since the other minorities rarely even make up 15% of an Ivy League school.

To answer your question: Actually that wouldn't help blacks at all. But you are making a false equivalency blacks are behind by a lot more than whites are behind Asians and so while not giving whites any points benefit whites at Ivies and the top state and private schools in admissions because they don't want an mostly Asian school so they will accept some whites over Asians who grade wise are better but aren't as diverse either in extracurriculars. Their are also legacy admissions. All these factors give whites a leg up at ivies. Again my argument is that at a certain point their aren't just that many qualified blacks or Hispanics do even if you let all the qualified ones in, you can't lower your standards in the sake of diversity and then your left mostly with Whites and Asians competing, and AA benefits whites. It doesn't mean that the Harvard students who are white are stupid or anything their probably smarter than 90% of people on this forum, but it does mean that Asians with better grades are getting jumped by these people simply because they already have a massive amounts of students with the exact same background.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:23 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,558,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
wow, 34 pages.

Obviously it seems to strike a chord with many forum members.

Proof that asians are underrepresented in many aspects of life in America, entertainment, politics, political discussion.
Yes, Asians are underrepresented and many go to extremes to conform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnDg0zwJ2w0

Old 02-25-2017, 07:53 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I was going to mention this as well.

Ironically, considering the conversation, the group with the highest suicide rates in regards to actually succeeding at committing suicide are white men. Men in general usually have high suicide rates in regards to completing the suicide after they get divorced or break up from a long term relationship. IMO (and this is a whole other subject) this is something that deserves attention in regards to the mental health and support services needed for men in our society. White men aged 45-64 have the highest suicide rates.

Interesting to me, and something that is relevant to black culture, is the fact that blacks have the lowest suicide rates. Many psychologist and studies cited also show that black Americans have the highest levels of "resilience" meaning we are more able to psychologically deal with difficult situations in a positive way and move on with our lives than other demographics. Resilience is actually a cultural attribute of black Americans and has been for hundreds of years, but this is not something that is readily discussed about black people.
Whites as a whole are leading in suicide. However, if you break that down by age group, that is where it matters the most. While men do have higher suicide rates than women, age is a big factor. Things like trauma from war, being a widow, being alone, being unemployed. The 45-64 age range, many men are dealing with losing jobs, spouses. The next highest age group are those over 64. Many men who are likely to commit suicide have suffered from things like PTSD.

One thing I have found is that suicide among White youths has been dropping.

There is another factor. The method of suicide. When men attempt suicide, they use firearms.

As for the Black population, suicide rates have remained lower. Part of it, in my view, has something to do with higher rates of church attendance. At the same time, the suicide rate among Black children has been rising. Suicide Rate Is Up in Young Black Children | Time.com

Old 02-25-2017, 07:55 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes, Asians are underrepresented and many go to extremes to conform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnDg0zwJ2w0
This isn't just Asians. Alot of White women are getting plastic surgery. Plastic surgery use is increasing among Black and Hispanic women as well. I think this is just women doing this in general. Plastic surgery is big in Brazil. I would also consider how many women use skin lightening cream.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:32 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,558,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This isn't just Asians. Alot of White women are getting plastic surgery. Plastic surgery use is increasing among Black and Hispanic women as well. I think this is just women doing this in general. Plastic surgery is big in Brazil. I would also consider how many women use skin lightening cream.
It isn't about just having plastic surgery. In the video, Julie Chen talked about being told that she HAD TO have surgery to lessen her Asian features to be successful. She was told by a station manager and her agent that she could not be a news anchor because she looked too Asian.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:53 PM

26,571 posts, read 15,140,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes and it is sad, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It isn't about just having plastic surgery. In the video, Julie Chen talked about being told that she HAD TO have surgery to lessen her Asian features to be successful. She was told by a station manager and her agent that she could not be a news anchor because she looked too Asian.
That is horrible. I don't know how to combat that. In part it is a society thing, but the MSM caves to it just the same, while pretending to be on the opposite side of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Your missing something, they also give whites a boost, the average Asian is more than 100 points higher in the SAT than the average white. So what that means is Affirmative Action gives everyone a boost who isn't Asian. My point is that your data itself is wrong since Asians and Whites do not have the same SAT scores.
If the specific exact policy is that when processing an application for admission all races except Asians and Whites get a free 20 points (with 100 needed to gain admission)...that inherently hurts whites and Asians. As there will be BOTH Asians and Whites passed over. Yes, Asians more.

When that specific policy stopped - White and Asian acceptance rose in the immediate following years and both became a bigger portion of the campus. Hence for a fact, not giving Whites a free 20 points, also hurt some White students.

The data is solid and speaks for itself.

You are acting like each individual within a race scores the exact same....when each group has a wide diversity of scores across the entire spectrum. The average white score is ABOVE the college average. If you stop giving out a free 20 points to groups scoring BELOW average - it will inherently help a variety of people that were in groups scoring ABOVE average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies