Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Never met an Asian who supports AA. Virtually everyone of them hates it.
that's because they are cheating and don't like the competition of all the white women using affirmative actiona taking their spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
One thing I have found interesting is that no matter how many topics there are about minorities, what issues they are dealing with or face Asians are rarely discussed. Why is that? And what is different that has made it so they are so successful in comparison to other minorities?
I never discuss "minority" issues, just issues pertaining to blacks. Why? That is the only experience that I really know. I know my experiences and my ancestors experience as black people in America. I don't know the specifics about the Asian experience, the Hispanic experience, etc. I cannot just start arguing something as a "minority" argument, when it really is mostly true of just blacks. For example, as far as I know the only people seen as lazy are black people. The larger society does not treat "minorities" as if they are lazy. In fact, Hispanics are seen as hard workers who will work hard for little money. A lot of people, therefore, would rather hire a Hispanic than a black person for unskilled labor. Asians are seen as "smart" and hardworking. So I cannot say that they get treated like black people because the stereotypes are different.

I don't like lumping everyone together who is not white under the umbrella "Minority", as if we share the same situation in degree or kind.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Never met an Asian who supports AA. Virtually everyone of them hates it.
Quote:
Have you been to Google?
LOL on the last question, of course I have and I have worked with various Asian American community organizations. Unlike you, I am very well aware of their "issues." One of their "issues" is that whites in America commonly claim they don't have any "issues." LOL.

Also that they were stereotyped starting in the 1960s - the height of the CRM as the "model minority" in an effort by white Americans to take the blame of racism off of themselves (white Americans) as a reason for the lack of social mobility of black Americans and other minority groups.

Google is actually your friend:

A book suggestion for you: The Myth of the Model Minority

The Professional Burdens of Being the Model Minority

from the link:

Quote:
Historically, the model-minority stereotype has served an even more disturbing purpose. For years, Asian American men were represented in mainstream media as conniving, threatening sexual predators who posed a particular danger to white women—an image that stuck until around the late 1960s. As the University of California, Hastings law professor Frank Wu wrote in his book Yellow: Race in America Beyond Black and White, this representation fell out of favor as blacks became more assertive in resisting segregation. At that point, the model-minority image offered a useful foil, demonstrating how racial groups could and should “appropriately” behave. Thus, the model-minority designation suggests that Asian Americans are succeeding by conventional American standards, but it also masks some harassment directed toward them and distances them from other minority groups.

And many of the Asian Americans who secure high-status jobs still encounter discrimination that can block their path to the highest professional tiers. Research suggests that whites see Asian American men as being unfit for management, because they are stereotyped as passive and weak. Naturally, this will hurt them in occupations that reward those who are believed to be aggressive, assertive, and forthright. Given that these characteristics are valued in many of the highest-ranking roles in companies and organizations, the model-minority stereotype can, in practice, serve as a cover for a racialized sort of glass ceiling.

Biases against Asian Americans often go unnoticed unless or until high-profile events occur, in contrast with the sort of egregious discrimination many African Americans encounter. Eileen O’Brien, an associate professor of sociology at Saint Leo University, points out that this dynamic can leave Asian Americans without the collective memory or tools to challenge racial discrimination when it occurs. Her work shows that unlike African Americans, who have a long history of visible activism and community organization, Asian Americans can often lack the social and cultural resources necessary to name and combat stratification.
The underlined portion is something that is spoken about a lot within Asian American community groups - the need to a more vocal and visible activism presence.

Unraveling the Model Minority Myth of Asian Americans

From the link:

Quote:
Why Are Asian Americans The Model Minority?

During the U.S. civil rights movement of the 1960s, Asian Americans were first characterized as the model minority. In reaction to efforts in removing institutional, legal, and social disparities between majority and minority groups, political conservatives pointed to Asian Americans as an exemplar and testimony that the American dream was colorblind. The message was loud and clear: "If Asian Americans can succeed in America, why not Blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans?" In 1966, William Petersen solidified this ideology by coining Japanese Americans the "model minority" (Petersen, 1966). The success of Japanese Americans quickly generalized across all Asian ethnic groups, regardless of their diversity in culture, education, and class.
This, along with above link showed that the coining and stereotyping of Asian Americans coincided with the CRM. This was a concerted effort of various persons in our nation seeking to diminish the effects of overt institutionalized racism aimed at primarily black Americans in this country. Again, it was created to cause a divide amongst blacks and Asians and other people of color in America. I personally don't buy into that line of reasoning. When you know the history behind something you can effectively dismiss the idea that some other group is "better" based on the opinion of a common foe (those who sought to maintain the status quo of institutionalized racism).

Also from the link:

Quote:
The model minority myth ignores the heterogeneity of Asian American groups and their significantly varied levels of success. While many South and East Asian American groups such as Asian Indians and Japanese have been successful in receiving high school, bachelors, and advanced degrees, most Southeast Asian Americans including Hmong, Cambodians, and Laotians never finished high school-at times, rates comparable if not lower than other racial minority groups (U.S. Census Bureau, 2004).
and
Quote:
The model minority myth fails to capture the more complex representation of Asian Americans in the education system. The myth suggests that Asian American students are over represented in the U.S. higher education. In actuality, the National Commission on Asian American and Pacific Islander Research in Education (2008) recently found that the increasing presence of Asian Americans in higher education parallels similar increases of other racial minority groups. Further, Asian American student populations concentrate in a small percentage of institutions, giving a false impression of high enrollment in higher education overall. In fact, Asian American students were more likely to be enrolled in community colleges than in either public or private four-year colleges.
Some "issues" caused by the Model Minority myth placed upon Asian Americans by whites:
Quote:
  • The model minority myth inherently pits Asian American students with other racial minority students creating interracial tension. The group comparison superficially compliments the success of one group, as it implicitly points to failure of another group. It creates a distorted portrait of all Asian American students as hard working, studious, persevering without complaint; while all other students of color are lazy, disruptive, and complaining. The internalization of these false images can lead Asian Americans students to be more verbally and physically harassed by their peers (Greene, Way, & Pahl, 2006).
  • The model minority myth dismisses actual experiences of racism faced by many Asian American students ranging from personal to institutional practices. They are oftentimes teased as perpetual foreigners (e.g., "Where are you really from?" or "You speak good English!"). Asian American students will make less money upon entering the workforce compared to their White classmates. In particular, Asian American men will be making 10-20% less and Asian American women will be making 40-50% less than their White counterparts-even with the same level of qualifications and educational experiences (Woo, 2000).
  • The majority of Asian American students do not like to be referred to as a model minority (Oyserman & Sakamoto, 1997). They recognize the unfair burden, expectation, and pressure placed on them simply because of their race. There is a growing body of literature that has linked internalizing model minority pressure with greater psychological distress (Chen, 1995; Chu, 2002), lower academic performance (Chun, 1995; Cheryan & Bodenhausen, 2000), and even suicide (Cohen, 2007).
  • The model minority myth may encourage Asian American students to silence and hide their personal problems. In fact, studies have found that Asian Americans are less likely to seek help, whether it is for school, physical, or mental health needs-even though they may have serious issues. Further, there is a serious gap in providing culture-specific services that address the unique needs of Asian American populations (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2001).

Last edited by residinghere2007; 02-22-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 08:50 AM

On Affirmative Action and Asian Americans for lifeexplorer (again google is your friend):

On Affirmative Action: Asian Americans are not your wedge

from the link:
Quote:
In numerous surveys, large majorities of Asian Americans have supported race-conscious college admissions and rejected efforts to use Asian Americans as a wedge group against other communities of color who support affirmative action.
Most recently, a 2016 national poll conducted by Advancing Justice, APIAVote and AAPIData.com found 64 percent of Asian-American voters favoring programs designed to help blacks, women and other minorities access higher education.

These results should not surprise, as many Asian American groups, second perhaps only to white women, have been among the greatest direct beneficiaries of a variety of affirmative action programs. Indeed, over the past 50 years, the dramatic increase in Asian American representation at elite schools such as Yale was made possible because such schools included Asian Americans in their race-conscious admissions.
Will note, within the link polling data differs based upon the ethnic origins of Asian Americans. Chinese Americans are the least likely to support Affirmative Action - only 41% of them do. 65% of Fillipinos, 68% of Asian Indians, 72% of Japanese, 87% of Koreans, and 82% of Vietnamese supported Affirmative Action. Removing the Chinese and nearly 75% of all Asian Americans reported supporting Affirmative Action.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
The amount of stereotyping in this thread.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I never discuss "minority" issues, just issues pertaining to blacks. Why? That is the only experience that I really know. I know my experiences and my ancestors experience as black people in America. I don't know the specifics about the Asian experience, the Hispanic experience, etc. I cannot just start arguing something as a "minority" argument, when it really is mostly true of just blacks. For example, as far as I know the only people seen as lazy are black people. The larger society does not treat "minorities" as if they are lazy. In fact, Hispanics are seen as hard workers who will work hard for little money. A lot of people, therefore, would rather hire a Hispanic than a black person for unskilled labor. Asians are seen as "smart" and hardworking. So I cannot say that they get treated like black people because the stereotypes are different.

I don't like lumping everyone together who is not white under the umbrella "Minority", as if we share the same situation in degree or kind.
I agree we do not share the same experiences.

I feel though, that even though I am black I can understand that all minority groups in this country have at some time experienced stereotyping and discrimination, even Asian Americans and Hispanic Americans.

I also worked a lot with the Asian community in metro Atlanta, primarily Asian refugees and Korean immigrants and due to those contacts/communications/experiences, I was informed about issues facing our residents due to being a particular ethnicity/racial group in this country.

Stereotyping can be perceived as either positive or negative but on an individual level either of these stereotypes can harm the minority in question in regards to education or workplace issues.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

Everything in bold is why I don't get the "Blacks should vote Republican" line. In principle I'm not for illegal entry. However, I do feel that Blacks are the least preferred for hiring(outside of Affirmative Action). I will say this. It was a shock/psychological come-apart for me to know that Blacks as a whole are seen as lazy and could affect how I am seen. And there is nothing I can personally do about it. I understand no matter who I vote for, I will still be stuck with certain stigmas as a Black man.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 AM

What she funny is it is a we'll know now fact that "Asia" generally sends us its most educated people. And those people do well. The countries that send less educated or poorer people. Or people who were mostly refuges, are more likely to be poor. But that doesn't take into account refugees who travel far to flee are extra motivated people who would succeed anywhere.

And perhaps more importantly, these Asian groups doing well have robust public education for those who have access to it. While here we are trying to figure out how to kill broad public education and refuse to find it, pay our teachers and generally even care about our kids getting educated. Particularly poor minorities.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Have you been to Google?
Have you looked at senior management. Have you seen which roles Asians are prevalent in, and which ones they aren't?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree we do not share the same experiences.

I feel though, that even though I am black I can understand that all minority groups in this country have at some time experienced stereotyping and discrimination, even Asian Americans and Hispanic Americans.

I also worked a lot with the Asian community in metro Atlanta, primarily Asian refugees and Korean immigrants and due to those contacts/communications/experiences, I was informed about issues facing our residents due to being a particular ethnicity/racial group in this country.

Stereotyping can be perceived as either positive or negative but on an individual level either of these stereotypes can harm the minority in question in regards to education or workplace issues.
Being a minority and being a specific kind of minority are two different things. Minorities as a whole experience discrimination. However, the level of discrimination one experiences often depends on what kind of minority you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies