Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:19 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,123 times

Advertisements

If you accessed disruptj20.org, your real name, address, and phone number will wind up with the DOJ. Which will seek to correlate violence and illegal activity with IP addresses and the people who own them. The hosting company is resisting turning over the IP addresses, without a VPN, it is relatively easy to convert an IP address with date and time to a family or person.

Justice demands 1.3M IP addresses related to Trump resistance site | TheHill

Quote:
This includes “names, addresses, telephone numbers and other identifiers, e-mail addresses, business information, the length of service (including start date), means and source of payment for services (including any credit card or bank account number), and information about any domain name registration.”

The warrant, dated July 12, says that authorities will seize any information constituting violations of D.C. code governing riots that involve individuals connected to the protests on Inauguration Day.

More than 200 people were indicted on felony rioting charges in connection with the protests in Washington on Jan. 20.

Wonder who will be unmasked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Hwy View Post
They are probably demanding that information from other websites.

They are building quite a database.
It would make sense. Personally I'm ambivalent about this, but there have been a lot of crimes. Maybe this is how detectives work in the early 21st century.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Hwy View Post
Yeah I'm sure you would have felt the same way if the administration requesting all that data was Obama's.

The best part is that if you agree with this now in 4 or 8 years you will have a democratic president who will be able to do the same thing.
Obama used the NSA, secret FISA court, CIA and FBI without warrants. This is a DOJ request, which will be moderated by a federal judge or federal magistrate. There is a slight difference between covert spying on political adversaries, and using the courts to investigate criminal activity. That the activity is closely tied to political speech causes me to be concerned. The vast majority who visited disruptj20.org are unlikely to have committed crimes.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:52 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Obama used the NSA, secret FISA court, CIA and FBI without warrants. This is a DOJ request, which will be moderated by a federal judge or federal magistrate. There is a slight difference between covert spying on political adversaries, and using the courts to investigate criminal activity. That the activity is closely tied to political speech causes me to be concerned. The vast majority who visited disruptj20.org are unlikely to have committed crimes.
I'm trying to compare this to something in real life.

The best I can come up with is issuing a blanket search warrant for an entire county because a bunch of people who we can't easily identify from that county might have done something illegal.

The courts better prevent this request from being fulfilled.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Yes, but they're likely to be put on a watch list. All for visiting a website.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

The best I can come up with is issuing a blanket search warrant for an entire county because a bunch of people who we can't easily identify from that county might have done something illegal.

Personal data of millions of people are routinely gathered for class action law suits. It isn't the number that bothers me more than the potential impact on political speech. At the same time, there are legitimate criminal concerns. The actions by some during the inauguration were criminal, and many active with this website may have perpetrated subsequent crimes. The court will have to navigate the need to identify criminals with the need to protect political speech which doesn't involve crime. This can be done, but exactly how it's done will matter for future investigations.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yes, but they're likely to be put on a watch list. All for visiting a website.
Maybe not, activity on the site via the IP address is also being sought. If the court can work with the provider and DOJ to determine where criminal activity centered, and require those not involved by removed from the database the DOJ ultimately winds up with, it could work out.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times
I'll say it again. Stuff like this is the reason I use a VPN.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:01 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

If they can gain access to these names for this, soon they will be doing it for those who visited any website at all. They could put together dossiers on everyone in the country and make it criminal to go to certain websites or combinations of them. Politicians would be using it to besmirch their opponents, based on their browsing history.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Obama's administration spied on millions of Americans. A contractor gave the FBI several thumb drives a while back. Haven't heard anything since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies