Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I care less how you want to define the unjustified slaughter of thousands of innocent people.

I will not vote to continue it
But yet you continue to lie and use that as an unwarranted attack on Obama. Good game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 10:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Reportedly....Again, where? Where are these jobs? Are you ever going to address this?

No shortage of reports about the number of unfilled manufacturing jobs in 2016.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-skil...led-1472733676

These vacancies may or may not exist in Apelachia where they are desperately needed. Then again, the skill and mind set of many who live in some of the most long term devastated counties may not be conducive to attracting manufacturing.

Jobs in mining peaked in the 1920's. 90 years and generations later, some remain.

No shortage of people in the 3 most economically devastated areas within Chicago complain about the lack of investment within their violent communities as a reason for poverty. Apparently some have never heard of public transportation.

Illegal immigrants from south of the border and Eastern Europe do not seem to be challenged by economic migration, no different than most of our ancestors, yet a percentage of the native population expects their Federal/ State/ County/ Municipal governments to create good paying jobs that do not require skills, sobriety or effort, in their own back yard.

My local community college is bursting with opportunities for adults to improve their Math, English and Cognitive Skills and vocational programs.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But yet you continue to lie and use that as an unwarranted attack on Obama. Good game.
Obama deserves nothing better than to rot in hell for what he has done.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No shortage of reports about the number of unfilled manufacturing jobs in 2016.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-skil...led-1472733676

These vacancies may or may not exist in Apelachia where they are desperately needed. Then again, the skill and mind set of many who live in some of the most long term devastated counties may not be conducive to attracting manufacturing.

Jobs in mining peaked in the 1920's. 90 years and generations later, some remain.

No shortage of people in the 3 most economically devastated areas within Chicago complain about the lack of investment within their violent communities as a reason for poverty. Apparently some have never heard of public transportation.

Illegal immigrants from south of the border and Eastern Europe do not seem to be challenged by economic migration, no different than most of our ancestors, yet a percentage of the native population expects their Federal/ State/ County/ Municipal governments to create good paying jobs that do not require skills, sobriety or effort, in their own back yard.

My local community college is bursting with opportunities for adults to improve their Math, English and Cognitive Skills and vocational programs.
I can't read the entire article without signing in but I still bet this is a valid reply.

Not a single actual opening at a specific job was noted.

Yes, the Wall Street journal is a big defender of bringing in cheap labor .

Old 02-26-2017, 11:18 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
I care less how you want to define the unjustified slaughter of thousands of innocent people.

I will not vote to continue it
I agree. I see NO reason to continue to sacrifice American lives just to keep Middle East Muslims from killing each other.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:28 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My dad was from Harlan Co. That county had a population of 90,000 in 1940 and only 20,000 in 2010. The core issue is that the best education / most driven people already left and most of those left have problems (poverty, mental illness, etc) that prevent them from leaving. My extended family who left there and moved to Cincinnati, Detroit, Sacramento, and Lexington are all doing great. The ones that stayed in Eastern KY are mostly unemployed and into illegal activities.
There is something to be said for that. I grew up in Western NY state, an area that was (and continues) to be dying economically, like so much of the NE and the "rust belt". Of the top 12 graduates in my HS class...I was the last to leave the state. This is an area with very little inward migration, and a high degree of "parochialism".

Old 02-26-2017, 12:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
I can't read the entire article without signing in but I still bet this is a valid reply.

Not a single actual opening at a specific job was noted.

Yes, the Wall Street journal is a big defender of bringing in cheap labor .
People have been migrating to where the jobs are, since forever. There is a correlation between skill and compensation.

WSJ is owned by the same folk who own Fox News. It's not their purpose to advertise or recruit for unfilled jobs.

Employers are not obtaining H1B visas for factory jobs.

The source of the data for the WSJ and other media is the BLS, who report the good, bad and ugly numbers.

Tens of thousands of jobs postings on job aggregator sites, Indeed, Simply Hired, Monstor and other free online sites.

Amazon has been building and repurposing new fulfillment centers in many states. Most of these jobs require high energy, a level of fitness and drug tests. They train. Starting wage is $12-16/HR, plus benefits. They offer opportunities for advancement. Employees are expected to show up sober, on time and ready to work. They do not employ undocumented people. And yet, many of these jobs go unfilled. Why is this?

How many people would rather spend their time playing games in their parents homes than take responsibility for themselves?

How come the US Army has been considering " preenlistment conditioning camps" to fill quotas? Such camps would be intended to better prepare people for the military and create an opportunity to weed out those not emotionally fit for the military.

Community colleges offer endless OP's for people to upgrade their math, English and cognitive skills. It requires effort.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 02-26-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
WSJ is owned by the same folk who own Fox News. It's not their purpose to advertise or recruit for unfilled jobs.
So you didnt answer my question.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:51 PM

417 posts, read 345,707 times
The company I work for is in desperate need for Machinists, Electricans and Welders. We start out at 15 dollars an hour and after a year a person could make 20.

However, It is nearly impossible to find good applicants. We either have applicants with a lengthy criminal record or can't pass a drug test. I have no idea what we will do when all the old guys retire. We're willing to train people but people have to be willing to do the hard work. So I agree here we just don't have enough people who want to become machinists, welders, electricans ect.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
The company I work for is in desperate need for Machinists, Electricans and Welders. We start out at 15 dollars an hour and after a year a person could make 20.

However, It is nearly impossible to find good applicants. We either have applicants with a lengthy criminal record or can't pass a drug test. I have no idea what we will do when all the old guys retire. We're willing to train people but people have to be willing to do the hard work. So I agree here we just don't have enough people who want to become machinists, welders, electricans ect.
If I was a welder I wouldn't come to Alaska for $15 an hour either. We pay somewhere around $35 and this is in a very low cost of living area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies