Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,368,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
You really think the Bush family bought 12,000 acres in South America just so they can hunt once or twice a year? That land purchase must have cost some insane coin.
An investment?

Is there oil there? Natural gas? Expensive wood? Gold? Silver? Is it good grazing land (do they plan on having a ranch there?)?

There are plenty of normal, everyday reasons a wealthy family buys a chunk of land that size. It doesn't have to equate to any bazarre plan to have an out of country escape location.

Get real!

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
Quote:
You really think the Bush family bought 12,000 acres in South America just so they can hunt once or twice a year? That land purchase must have cost some insane coin.
Um. Guess you didn't know that hunting preserves are big business in Paraguay. I personally know one guy who makes a very good living flying blue-chip clients down to Paraguay 5-6 times a year. Multiply that by hundreds of thousands of hunters, please.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM

208 posts, read 412,536 times
That totally makes sense then. You'll have to excuse my cynicism. I voted for Bush twice, donated to him and thought he was going to be another Reagon. The first term in my mind went fairly well. But the second has been disappointing. Big government, open borders, forcing our troops to fight the "politically correct" way as opposed to destroying the enemy without mercy. You get the idea.

Anyways, in terms of game, what makes Paraguay so special?

Old 03-05-2008, 02:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,594,166 times
Default What if.... the United States experienced another "Great Depression"?

While no doubt harmful in the immediate sense, a tough economic downturn might be the tonic this nation needs to turn more people's attention away from their lives of rampant consumerism. Life reduced to the basics leaves little time or resources for the luxuries most take for granted these days. While struggling for the basics is by no means pleasant, it may deepen most Americans' perspectives on life. It might prove to be the impulse to move us beyond our short-sighted, self-centered "use it all up right now" attitudes.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,619,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
While no doubt harmful in the immediate sense, a tough economic downturn might be the tonic this nation needs to turn more people's attention away from their lives of rampant consumerism. Life reduced to the basics leaves little time or resources for the luxuries most take for granted these days. While struggling for the basics is by no means pleasant, it may deepen most Americans' perspectives on life. It might prove to be the impulse to move us beyond our short-sighted, self-centered "use it all up right now" attitudes.
Sounds nice, But I doubt it. We've obliterated God, Family and Morals in this country (and most other western ones). Without those pillars, we're left with throngs of bored, hungry, angry people. While I don't think it'll will be full blast like Katrina, I do think the social rot of our society will show itself much more clearly now that the veneer of success has been taken off. Think Animal Farm, Clockwork Orange and Lord of the Flies.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,571,834 times
Another great depression, assuming it DID happen, might seriously put a real strain on the concept of "multiculturalism". I have a feeling that the idea of other folks leading lives and expressing cultures "at odds" with each other (so interesting now, when times are "flush") might be the source of serious conflict when the possibility arose that a lot of us couldn't be sure when, or how, we'd get our next meal. Some of us might get VERY cranky, and very judgemental, when it seemed to us that "other" folks weren't "conserving" things the way WE were....or were seen as "squandering" scarce resources....or weren't so much taking "some jobs", but were taking the last few jobs PERIOD. I feel that, when things "hit the fan", multiculturalism (along with ski trips, dining at ethnic restaurants, and interest in the arts) MAY be one of the 'casualties", and there would be less interest in celebrating each other's CULTURES, and more interest in just exactly where he got that sack of FOOD we saw him carrying home.....

Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,315,248 times
We still have the FDIC, as long as that is in place, i'm not nearly as worried as I would be otherwise.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,272,914 times
There can never be another Great depression LOL the moment they took the currency off the gold standard they knew they could fudge the books and print money outa thin air LOL

Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,210,427 times
Quote:
You know what's funny is that the Bush family bought themselves a 12,000 acre ranch in Paraguay near a landing strip. Ask yourself this question, why?
Have you ever seen Asunción? It is a beautiful city and Paraguay happens to be the second most economically and socially stable country in South America (behind Chile) It is very "Euro" and contemporary, and cosmopolitan. Excellent climate, excellent quality land... its got it all.

I have been weighing my next long vacation to either Paraguay or to Chile, who knows, I may be inlined to purchase a small patch of dirt.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:53 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,386,212 times
I found a interesting read that touches on this very topic.

link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies