Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree that we can't point fingers in this one case, but we live in an atmosphere of fear and hate of foreigners (or anyone who looks/speaks differently) and those resentments have spread widely since Trump began campaigning. I thought he'd change after being elected, but he continues to divide Americans.
I agree. Sad, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No we do not, you are lying.
No, I am not lying. That's your own opinion. There has been an increase in hate crimes in this country, and that is a fact.

[URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-madigan-immigration-hate-crimes-summit-20170223-story.html"]Hate crime rising[/URL]

[URL="https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-24/nypd-links-hate-crimes-increase-to-2016-presidential-campaign"]NYPD Links Hate Crimes Increase to 2016 Presidential Campaign[/URL]

[URL="https://www.splcenter.org/news/2017/02/15/hate-groups-increase-second-consecutive-year-trump-electrifies-radical-right"]Hate groups increase for second consecutive year as Trump electrifies radical right[/URL]

Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310
Prohibition anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Prohibition of what? Maybe CD should prohibit you from posting since you don't have much to add.

That would be alcohol.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not for nothing but it does seem whenever a white person goes off shooting and killing (especially if the victims are darker skinned persons), it must be some sort of "problem" with issues such as family and or drink, and we ought to "wait" and hear all the facts, express pity for his (or her) sorry situation.

Now when a black or Latino/Hispanic does the shooting and killing (especially of whites), people are ready to get some rope and a flatbed truck.

I'm just saying....
"he was such a good boy" .. I don't hear anyone outside of the family saying any of that
An Hispanic man near me Shot someone overnight and nobody is talking about it
I'm just saying

Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
No, I am not lying. That's your own opinion. There has been an increase in hate crimes in this country, and that is a fact.

Hate crime rising

NYPD Links Hate Crimes Increase to 2016 Presidential Campaign

Hate groups increase for second consecutive year as Trump electrifies radical right
Lol, according to your link, the spike in attacks in NYC are against Jews.

Last I checked there weren't a lot of Jewish foreigners coming in.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:

Hate crime rising

NYPD Links Hate Crimes Increase to 2016 Presidential Campaign

Hate groups increase for second consecutive year as Trump electrifies radical right
Quoting cair and splc will get you little respect.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:31 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,392 times
This story is so sad. It's also sad had the victim and aggressor been reversed, this thread would be ten pages by now.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:32 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Lol, according to your link, the spike in attacks in NYC are against Jews.

Last I checked there weren't a lot of Jewish foreigners coming in.
That was just one of the links. You are cherry picking. Are these people Jewish? (from one of my links)

"Activists report instances of Muslim women having their scarves pulled off and say graffiti with Trump's name paired with a swastika were found in a suburban library bathroom on five different occasions."

I could have posted many more links like this one, which reports hate crimes against Asians in California.

[url]http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2017/02/17/515824196/first-ever-tracker-of-hate-crimes-against-asian-americans-launched[/url]

There's no shortage of bigotry in the U.S. whether we're talking about antisemitism or crimes against people of color. To deny this means you have your head in the sand or your posts are disingenuous.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:50 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
I walked past three hijab-wearing ladies in a department store yesterday, and had to say "Excuse me", as the aisle was a little narrow. They apologized profusely - and looked terrified. I was appalled and so reassured them it was okay, made eye contact and smiled at them - it was pitiful to see expressions of relief on their faces.

In addition to the hijabs, they were wearing long native dresses or robes - not sure what they were called, not really djellabahs - and were not speaking English among themselves. I do not know their nationality, but they gave every appearance of being Middle Eastern. They spoke accented English to me when the unnecessary apology was made. I had the impression they had not been in this country very long (but of course have no way to really know).

Sad - the ladies, who were young to middle-aged, seemed so intimidated, and I certainly did not intend to alarm them in any way. I hope my smile and reassurance helped waylay their very evident fear.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I walked past three hijab-wearing ladies in a department store yesterday, and had to say "Excuse me", as the aisle was a little narrow. They apologized profusely - and looked terrified. I was appalled and so reassured them it was okay, made eye contact and smiled at them - it was pitiful to see expressions of relief on their faces.

In addition to the hijabs, they were wearing long native dresses or robes - not sure what they were called, not really djellabahs - and were not speaking English among themselves. I do not know their nationality, but they gave every appearance of being Middle Eastern. They spoke accented English to me when the unnecessary apology was made. I had the impression they had not been in this country very long (but of course have no way to really know).

Sad - the ladies, who were young to middle-aged, seemed so intimidated, and I certainly did not intend to alarm them in any way. I hope my smile and reassurance helped waylay their very evident fear.
Probably wearing abayahs.

Buy Fashionable Abayas Online- EastEssence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies