Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I'm annoyed by the article, not outraged. The title doesn't bother me. There's nothing in the title that I think should should bother anyone. I'm annoyed because she sounds shallow. I think it does matter that Huffington Post is a well-respected newspaper because they know lots of people will see this and become annoyed and therefore it's probably clickbait.

I know clickbait isn't new. I find it more annoying because its an old thing, not less.

Imagine her being a Mexican person and finding out she had 1/3 Swedish DNA and experiencing shame. Wouldn't that sound bizarre and shallow to you? Wouldn't you start pondering reasons why someone would be that shallow, and wonder if she's a racial supremacist or something, or just a very weird person?

I've heard of the kind of thing she did described as "laying a turd and letting it float" so that nobody knows exactly what you mean...but it's just close enough to be confusing and annoying to people. I'm much more annoyed by her writing skill than her. I don't know her. She could be a great person, but I think she made herself sound very shallow and weird.

It's a boring article, I think, without that turd-floating part that makes you wonder if she's a racial supremacist. That seems to me to be the only interesting part of it. I don't like to encourage that type of writing.

If she wanted to make the article really interesting in a non-clickbait kind of way, she could have easily focused it on something other than the turd-floating part. She could have focused on her feelings more, or the history of her research, or specified why this mattered so much to her.

It's not the title that I think would make it clickbait, it's the first part after the title that will cause people go argue over it and get attention to it that will give it all the extra attention I think.
The bold is only proving my point, and honestly makes it look like you didnt read the article. She isnt ashamed of being white, she never says that any single time. She is ashamed of claiming a heritage for her entire life that was false, she felt as if she lied to people for years.

Again, I liken this to the Ancestry.com commercial with the Italian family that found out they were more German than anything else. No one questioned whether they were racist or shallow like you have with this women.

your personal political views are shaping your opinion of what she wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 11:24 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Virtually all blacks descended from slaves in the USA have a significant white component to them. This has been an established fact for ages now. Side by side comparison between American blacks and African blacks will show several significant differences. The thing that jumps right out for most people is that the American blacks are all lighter in color. American blacks are also bigger, stronger and healthier on average, so it's not like they don't get any benefits from the admixture of white DNA.

It really is disappointing that a black woman views being 31% white as something upsetting. Something she would need to come to terms with. Something she is apparently ashamed or disturbed by. Is "whiteness" really so terrible to her? Why?

Old 03-02-2017, 11:27 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The bold is only proving my point, and honestly makes it look like you didnt read the article. She isnt ashamed of being white, she never says that any single time. She is ashamed of claiming a heritage for her entire life that was false, she felt as if she lied to people for years.
Then why didn't she say that? You described it well. Why did you need to describe that so well rather than her? Why couldn't you have just copy pasted her exact words? I think you don't know that she is ashamed of claiming a heritage for her entire life that was false anymore than I know she is ashamed of being part white.

Quote:
Again, I liken this to the Ancestry.com commercial with the Italian family that found out they were more German than anything else. No one questioned whether they were racist or shallow like you have with this women.

your personal political views are shaping your opinion of what she wrote.
If that was a commercial...something tells me the Italian family didn't talk about being ashamed of being German, but rather displayed a quirky sense of humor about it or something. Advertising that your product leads to shame does not tend to improve sales.

If she said she were happy about being 1/3 white, I would have been equally perplexed. The only understandable response to such a discovery that I can imagine is kind of an attitude of "Oh, that's interesting."

If she has any emotion besides "Oh, that's interesting," that warrants an explanation, or I think the article is boring and pointless.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:34 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Virtually all blacks descended from slaves in the USA have a significant white component to them. This has been an established fact for ages now. Side by side comparison between American blacks and African blacks will show several significant differences. The thing that jumps right out for most people is that the American blacks are all lighter in color. American blacks are also bigger, stronger and healthier on average, so it's not like they don't get any benefits from the admixture of white DNA.

It really is disappointing that a black woman views being 31% white as something upsetting. Something she would need to come to terms with. Something she is apparently ashamed or disturbed by. Is "whiteness" really so terrible to her? Why?
Yes, see that's the question probably 60% of all the readers ask, and she could have gone into detail about that and made it an interesting article without annoying anyone but the most thin-skinned people looking for things to complain about. She could have let us understand that...but instead she wanted to lay a big, whopping turd and float it, and so this thread was created, which probably brings her a lot more views.

Everyone defending her has to explain what she really means. Why didn't she explain it in her article? That's what articles are for, to show people your worldview.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 AM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I remember when the USA was called a "Melting Pot" and we seemed to rejoice in how things merged together. There's no future in shaming ourselves because of what some nameless ancestor did. We were not part of that decision. We are dealt a hand and have to play it. Our parents and grandparents often didn't know or care so when asked they just said the obvious or made up a story. Sometimes it was a pretty good story. If we go back far enough we are all from Africa. I have a few DNA threads that I can't explain either.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, see that's the question probably 60% of all the readers ask, and she could have gone into detail about that and made it an interesting article without annoying anyone but the most thin-skinned people looking for things to complain about. She could have let us understand that...but instead she wanted to lay a big, whopping turd and float it, and so this thread was created, which probably brings her a lot more views.

Everyone defending her has to explain what she really means. Why didn't she explain it in her article? That's what these types of articles are for, to show people your worldview...or as clickbait which is the equivalent of yelling "the Martians are coming! The Martians are coming!" for attention.
Agreed, but I don't think her emotions and prejudices are all that well concealed. One paragraph in particular makes it all rather clear that the woman is at least a little anti-white racist and has most definitely bought into her fair share of anti-white propaganda.

Quote:
Would I love to be 87% Black? [In other words, the more purely black you are the better.] Yes! One may say I’m a disciple of the colloquialism “blacker the berry, sweeter the juice”. [If you're blacker then you're more desirable and acceptable.] I envy my best friend Tiara (Tee for short), whose complexion is a beautiful burnt umber, masking all imperfections and accentuating her vivid eyes and wonderful smile. Or my husband James, who too has a rich complexion that I find enthralling and powerful. I love being Black but the truth is over time the world has become a melting pot, and unquestionably, we have prospered because of it. While I’m no Rachel Dolezal, I must accept the fact I do have White ancestors. [Clearly, whiteness is something she wishes she could purge from her being. She feels like less of a person because of it.] It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but quite honestly, the road to acceptance will not be an easy one for me to travel.[Contradictory statements there. If it's "nothing to be ashamed of" then why will "the road to acceptance" be so difficult??]
Okay, so let's flip the script here and see what that looks like.

Quote:
Would I love to be 87% White? Or better yet, 100%? Yes! One may say I’m a disciple of the colloquialism “whiter you are, the better you are as a person”. I envy my best friend, who has beautiful blonde hair, striking blue eyes, that classic wonderful German/Scandinavian complexion. Or my husband James, who is also so white, blonde haired, blue eyed, and therefore so attractive and idyllic. I love being white but the truth is over time the world has become a melting pot, and unquestionably, we have prospered because of it. I must accept the fact I do have black ancestors. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but quite honestly, the road to acceptance will not be an easy one for me to travel.
In both cases, "I shouldn't be ashamed of my undesirably heritage, but I am. It's going to take a long time for me to accept it. I just wish there wasn't any [black/white] in me at all." The second version is exactly the sort of nonsense I'd expect to hear from David Duke if the man found out he was 31% black.

So you will struggle with self-loathing and self-deprecating thoughts because you found out you're almost half white? Well ... that's pretty frickin' racist actually.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 03-02-2017 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 12:05 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
What is her problem?

I knew I was Mexican, Slav, Italian and French... but then (about a decade ago) I found out that I had a black Grandfather.

Now I finally know where my nose came from! I was happy to find more bloodlines in this American mutt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So you will struggle with self-loathing and self-deprecating thoughts because you found out you're more almost half white? Well ... that's pretty frickin' racist actually.
That's what is so telling. I guess diversity is fine, until it is she finding out her ancestors were diverse in a way that makes her racism irrational. She is now conflicting with her long held views and that is why she is so upset.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Then why didn't she say that? You described it well. Why did you need to describe that so well rather than her? Why couldn't you have just copy pasted her exact words? I think you don't know that she is ashamed of claiming a heritage for her entire life that was false anymore than I know she is ashamed of being part white.
She did say all that later on in the article, which is again, why it looks like you didnt read it.

Quote:
If that was a commercial...something tells me the Italian family didn't talk about being ashamed of being German, but rather displayed a quirky sense of humor about it or something. Advertising that your product leads to shame does not tend to improve sales.

If she said she were happy about being 1/3 white, I would have been equally perplexed. The only understandable response to such a discovery that I can imagine is kind of an attitude of "Oh, that's interesting."

If she has any emotion besides "Oh, that's interesting," that warrants an explanation, or I think the article is boring and pointless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZoV8abnNk

If you feel the article was boring and pointless, that should have been your statement the entire time, not claiming she was racist because you didnt understand fully what she was saying.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
What is her problem?

I knew I was Mexican, Slav, Italian and French... but then (about a decade ago) I found out that I had a black Grandfather.

Now I finally know where my nose came from! I was happy to find more bloodlines in this American mutt.

That's what is so telling. I guess diversity is fine, until it is she finding out her ancestors were diverse in a way that makes her racism irrational. She is now conflicting with her long held views and that is why she is so upset.
Exactly! If I found out I was 1/3 black tomorrow, I'd think it's kinda cool actually.

Sadly, there's very little chance of that. My family has rather diligently mapped out our ancestry. Whole lot of Danish, English and Scottish. A little bit of German in there too. Not much else. It'd be nice to have a few surprises to uncover there.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:24 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
What is her problem?

Genealogy is fascinating. I cannot imagine anything that would affect me now, regarding race or otherwise except for it being interesting if it was new information. I would like to have the dna test but have privacy concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies